Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

is nitro on its way out?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

is nitro on its way out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 05:36 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Concur!

I admit I do have a few ARFs, bought a few when they was just dirt cheap. I love to build and do feel accomplished when I build them and fly them.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:50 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

For you the ARFs are a mild distraction not the main thrust of the hobby and that is why you are still in it.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:06 AM
born2build

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anything is going to ruin the hobby, it's the idiots I see on You Tube doing everything you're not supposed to do with a "model airplane" while laughing about it the whole time.
Personally, what I find frustrating is they don't speak model airplane. They know nothing about aviation or aerodynamics.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:15 AM
born2build

Originally Posted by hairy46
I admit I do have a few ARFs, bought a few when they was just dirt cheap. I love to build and do feel accomplished when I build them and fly them.
I own a Hanger 9 Christen Eagle. I've always liked that wild color scheme and modern aerobatic biplanes. But there was no way I was going to replicate all nine colors! I did, however, replace all of the hardware with the best stuff I could find.
I gotta admit, the thing is gorgeous! Hanger 9 really nailed it. But, it is definitely the exception and not the rule!
Old 10-19-2017, 07:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

Hopefully the Drwin theory will kick in and take them out of the hobby. As an old AMA Assistant VP told me once, you can't fix stupid!
Old 10-19-2017, 07:26 AM
born2build

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Hopefully the Drwin theory will kick in and take them out of the hobby. As an old AMA Assistant VP told me once, you can't fix stupid!
Yeah, that's an old Ron White bit.
My concern is the FAA will catch wind of these clowns and take us all out!
Old 10-19-2017, 07:47 AM
ochsnm00

Originally Posted by born2build
Son of a gun! My first upload...ever! I'm tickled!
That is the T-Craft from a Great Planes kit. I did by my own electric conversion by simply adding a motor box to the firewall.
Easy peasy! It's using the O.S. 3815 1000kv outrunner swinging a standard APC 11x5 prop. A thunderbird 54 amp ESC handles the motor control chores A 3s 2200mah lipo powers everything, and a Futaba 8J was pressed into service for guidance. All up weight is (drumroll, please) 3lbs 4oz. This build was started in 2012, but after a major setback in my life, she's finally complete! I don't know when I'll be able to test fly it since I'm still recovering. It may not be until next year, I really don't know.
ochsnm00- Thank you! Where's the rest of your airplane? Ha!
You guys are the best! thank you all! Now, more sanding on the Rascal.
Now that wasn't so hard was it? You're dangerous now. It's as satisfying for me as it was for you. That is a vary nice Taylor-Craft indeed. I'm happy that now we can see more of your projects.

Last edited by ochsnm00; 10-19-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:54 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like all the teachers say "Children are the future" Unfortunately this could happen. Hopefully smarter ones will rule. I hate the videos where right away they play some stupid song really loud, and you can't hear the motor at all. Oh, I went to a swap meet on the weekend, and got a few motors for $5 to $10. The one kid said he took the motor out and went electric. While I am happy to have taken it off his hands, I would rather that he at least tried it out. It was brand new, as was another one. I wonder if in a few decades, all my motors will be $10?
Old 10-19-2017, 08:18 AM
born2build

Originally Posted by ochsnm00
Now that wasn't so hard was it? You're dangerous now. It's as satisfying for me as it was for you. That is a vary nice Taylor-Craft indeed. I'm happy that now we can see more of your projects.
I dunno. For me, computers are not very intuitive. There's too much to learn to use them effectively. I'd much rather spend my time working on models. After all, I only have so much RAM in my head!
I'm glad you like the Taylorcraft. It's always been one of my favorite light planes. I mean, why build a Cub when you can have a T-Crate?
I have one other model to show you. I'll get it up here as soon as I get some shots of it. I think you'll like it. Stay tuned!
Old 10-19-2017, 09:25 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So you`re saying that that advice I gave the guy over on the beginner board is useless and I`m contributing to the ruination of the hobby? I think there is more options these days that enable someone getting into the hobby to get flying much sooner. I think it depends on the person and whether or not they "get the bug" and continue or give it up after their first crash.
Hopefully the more people trying it for the first time successfully with stick with it.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:42 AM
born2build

Originally Posted by Stickslammer
So you`re saying that that advice I gave the guy over on the beginner board is useless and I`m contributing to the ruination of the hobby? I think there is more options these days that enable someone getting into the hobby to get flying much sooner. I think it depends on the person and whether or not they "get the bug" and continue or give it up after their first crash.
Hopefully the more people trying it for the first time successfully with stick with it.
To whom are you referring? Never mind. I can answer that. Spelling and grammatical errors aside, I think it would be best if you take our words at face value, rather than trying to interpret them to mean something else. It's just that way too many people plunk down their money, take their stuff out somewhere, and immediately screw the thing into the ground. The first "A' in AMA stands for "Academy" for a reason. We want to emphasize learning. Trial and error is not a very efficient way to learn the hobby, to say the least. There are plenty of places a beginner can go to get the help they need. Being "self-taught" is the best way to learn some very bad habits. First time success without experienced guidance is very rare indeed!
Old 10-19-2017, 12:12 PM
FlyerInOKC

I vividly remember learning on my own without an instructor or buddy box it was expensive, aggravating, and took a lot of time. It would have been a lot easier with a club with an instructor and buddy box.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:04 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Original question?
Old 10-19-2017, 03:12 PM
born2build

I vividly remember learning on my own without an instructor or buddy box it was expensive, aggravating, and took a lot of time. It would have been a lot easier with a club with an instructor and buddy box.
Ha! You must've really wanted it bad. I actually had two instructors. Both were pattern fliers. These guys were good! They insisted I learned the "right" way. Buddy box? That hadn't been invented yet!
Old 10-19-2017, 03:17 PM
born2build

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Original question?
I'm sorry. Were we being off-topic? The answer is no. "Nitro" is not on the way out!
------------------------------------------------
I love the smell of methanol in the morning!
Old 10-19-2017, 06:37 PM
ochsnm00

These days we have new members show up who are self taught with the aid of sims. and easy to fly electrics that are nearly crash proof. It helps to sustain the hobby.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:43 PM
ochsnm00

I dunno. For me, computers are not very intuitive. There's too much to learn to use them effectively. I'd much rather spend my time working on models. After all, I only have so much RAM in my head!
I'm glad you like the Taylorcraft. It's always been one of my favorite light planes. I mean, why build a Cub when you can have a T-Crate?
I have one other model to show you. I'll get it up here as soon as I get some shots of it. I think you'll like it. Stay tuned!
I'm a scratch builder, have been for a long time. I don't know how much time I have saved and improvements I have stumbled across on the internet. There is always someone that has done it before.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:20 PM
born2build

Originally Posted by ochsnm00
I'm a scratch builder, have been for a long time. I don't know how much time I have saved and improvements I have stumbled across on the internet. There is always someone that has done it before.
Oh, so you're trolling us lowly kit builders, huh? Nah, I'm just messin' with you, man. I guess everybody has their niche.
Umpteen years ago, I bought a set of plans from Bob Holman for an 80" Mossie. I was going to power it with a pair of .45 4-strokes. I even bought a Tamiya 1/48 kit and Squadron Signals books for documentation. When the plans arrived, I knew right away I had bitten off more than I could chew. THERE WERE NO INSTRUCTIONS!!! Long story longer, I still have the Tamiya kit and the books. Come to think of it, Bob still owes me $36. Hmm. Oh, well.
I should build that plastic kit some day, just for giggles. Then I'll have my Mosquito, sort of (sigh).
Old 10-20-2017, 12:49 AM
Mark Powell

I went by the LHS to pick up a special order part and walked into a similar discussion as we are having here. The consensus is the electric ARFs, RTF, BNF have ruined the hobby. What kept the hobby going back in the day was commitment. When you had to put your own blood, sweat, and tears into a project you had a great deal of buy in and you stuck with the hobby out of the satisfaction you got from success. Now I guy can buy a RTF charge the battery in his car on the way home and fly the darn thing, no commitment necessary. If you have just a few dollars invested and no skin in the game the hobby becomes as disposable as last night's movie ticket.
I agree with that consensus.

As I posted earlier, I'm in the UK and fly on a nearby state owned and state maintained very large flying site (about 3 square miles, with a 200 yard x 400 yard hard surface) open to all provided they are members of the UK British Model Flying Association, which provides the required insurance among its other 'model flying' functions.
And as it is an 'open' site you don't have to be a member of a club, though some are.
Because it is open I think it provides a realistic 'statistical' view of the current situation, simply because in an actual 'club', with a committee and all the other stuff, you tend to get a membership who all think the same way. As we are not a club this doesn't happen. And electrics, with the arrival of brushless motors/brushless controllers/lipos removing all the 'technical' difficulties, became very popular. But that initial popularity has since gradually declined. Glow has become popular again and the fairly recent availability of small(ish) and CLEAN compared to glow gasoline motors has provided another alternative to electrics.

And nothing sounds sillier than a P-51 or Spitfire emitting a ghastly high-pitched 'electric whine' . Whereas the sound of a four-stroke glow does give a fairly authentic impression of a WW2 fighter engine.

As for ARFs, RTFs, and BNFs I am sure you are correct. We see a whole lot of people come along with these 'toys' in all shapes and sizes and even though most of us are helpful the vast majority of them appear for a few months at most (many in a much shorter time) and we never see them again. No doubt they have moved on to the next 'latest fad'. With luck 'drones' will go the same way.

As for me, I build almost all of my planes. Often from kits as I am lazy and don't like cutting parts out, sometimes from plans or totally scratch built if there is not a kit of a plane I particularly like. Out of about twenty planes, all in flying condition, only two are ARTFs. I will buy them sometimes but only planes I quite like but don't like enough to bother to build them myself. And, as they involve almost zero effort, only money, it doesn't matter if you crash them

Ruining the hobby? I wouldn't go that far, But ARTFs and the like are certainly not enhancing the hobby.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:27 AM
born2build

Here in Las Vegas, Nevada, we have a similar situation. We are lucky enough to fly from Bennett Field, the same field Bill Bennett had built for the now defunct Tournament of Champions. It is, in actuality, a county park, maintained (sort of) by Clark County Parks and Recreation. It's main feature is a 200 meter by 30 meter paved runway, bordered on the north side by wetlands. You do not want to put one in there! Guess how I know. There is a club (LVRC) based there, but it is an open field to all AMA members. We get everything from turbines to helis, park fliers to giant IMAC planes, electric, gas, and glow.
Cheers, mate!
P.S. To me, all crashes matter! I'm just sayin'. I would just hate to crash my little UMX Beast, or anything else I own.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:46 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Easy airplanes have not ruined the hobby. A few years ago, a couple of imbeciles moved during a club meeting to ban foamies because those who fly them are inconsiderate and immature and won't stick around long enough to contribute meaningfully to the club anyway. Thankfully, the vote was overwhelmingly against and the motion died.
Do none of the complainers realize that the problems you are seeing are the same that are showing up in every facet of the lives of the Millennial generation? For those who don't know, that would be people in their late teens to around 35 right now. They have trouble keeping their attention on anything for long. They expect instant success. They are selfish, only interested in what an organization can do for them. That's the stereotype. Foamies, RTF planes, and such haven't ruined the hobby. They have kept it alive. Most Millennials would never build a kit because they would get bored before finishing it. Foamies have given them and other short attention span people a way to be involved, and yes, to pay club dues and AMA fees. I really hate seeing people denigrate young people enjoying this hobby, because like it or not, they are its future. I dare say some would prefer to have this hobby die with them rather than welcome a generation who likes to do things differently.
The saddest part of this is that hope is not lost. I see young people getting into this hobby via RTF planes and then taking an interest in the more traditional ways. The upshot of Millennials is that once they see a personal value in something, they will work passionately at it. So a small investment from some of the older modelers to encourage the youngsters to enjoy the hobby can mean innovative new contest ideas, new plane designs, and renewed energy in the hobby which it sorely needs. I'm quite certain that many clubs will die in the next 20 years. For most, the reason will be the backwards looking mentality shown in the above post that drove away young people and the energy and creativity they bring with them.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:35 PM
born2build

Whatever shortcomings millennials may or may not possess, there is one thing I know for sure. They were not born that way.
I will always take the time with anyone who shows an interest in learning more, millennial or otherwise
Old 10-23-2017, 10:58 AM
Mark Powell

Whatever shortcomings millennials may or may not possess, there is one thing I know for sure. They were not born that way.
I will always take the time with anyone who shows an interest in learning more, millennial or otherwise
At least jester s1 told we Europeans what a 'millennial' is

And the USA habit of 'labelling' people gives rise to the feeling that those so labelled are all the same, which of course is nonsense.

As for the future of modelling, RC or not, why should we care? We will never see the future - everything we do see is the 'present' at the time we see it, and that 'present' changes gradually and continually.

Personally I don't give a rat's **** if model flying dies away - I will be long gone before that happens so won't be an a position to care about anything
Old 10-23-2017, 01:24 PM
born2build

Originally Posted by Mark Powell
At least jester s1 told we Europeans what a 'millennial' is

And the USA habit of 'labelling' people gives rise to the feeling that those so labelled are all the same, which of course is nonsense.

As for the future of modelling, RC or not, why should we care? We will never see the future - everything we do see is the 'present' at the time we see it, and that 'present' changes gradually and continually.

Personally I don't give a rat's **** if model flying dies away - I will be long gone before that happens so won't be an a position to care about anything
Of course it's nonsense. But I'm not the one who comes up with these labels. I use them as a matter on convenience. For example, my generation is labeled as "the baby boomers." Do you know what that means? You don't have labels in Europe?
As for the future of model aviation, you're living it every day, every moment. How nice for you to be secure in the knowledge that you can enjoy your hobby unencumbered by forces you have little to no control over for the rest of your life. On this side of the pond, we're not so sure. We can't afford to take anything for granted, not even flying model airplanes.
So, let me get this straight. As long as you get what you want from the hobby, as long as your needs are met, nothing else matters. No one else matters. Is that what I'm hearing? If it is, suddenly you are useless to me You are way too selfish and too self-centered for me and a complete waste of my time. Good day.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:33 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like to see new blood come in. If they fly drones I won't help them because I would be of no help. Otherwise I would be happy to. Lots of guys helped me out as a kid, I almost feel obligated. If there is no one to replace the guys dying off, it will be impossible to fly even the rest of (y)our life. I am hoping for 20 years, I would hope a young guy will cut the grass later on too. Already guys here are quitting glow and going gas or electric because the LHS won't carry glow fuel. Our club dues will likely go up if the new guys stay at home playing video games. Also I found the young guys have some cool toys with fresh ideas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.