Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

is nitro on its way out?

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

is nitro on its way out?

Old 12-15-2016, 08:00 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I've said it before. I like glow fuel engines so much, I use Glow fuel as cologne. They're actually fun to start and run. But, I also like EP and gas, or even rubber.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:13 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Luchnia
You mean glow still exist?
And the C/l uys won't use anything else and neither will I!
Old 12-15-2016, 08:38 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Some CL guys are using electric, but I haven't seen it yet
Old 12-16-2016, 05:44 AM
jollyroger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I have noticed for the past several years that all those objecting to electric are older flyers. Maybe it's the technology and maybe it's fear of being pushed out or maybe it's prejudice.
I don't really care. Fly what you want with what you want to use for power.
The purpose of this hobby is fun and the added benefit of meeting new people and having something to do beside setting in front of a TV and getting fat.
I like building as it also helps me to unwind and take my mind off all the crap that's going on in the world today.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

Seriuosly, when it comes to power plants I don't think anything ever really disappears with the possible exception of the Jetco system but it was a case of only a single manufacturer. Electric yuse to be a very small niche and the the LiPo came along and it really bloomed to what we have today.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:57 AM
oliveDrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
.... Electric yuse to be a very small niche and the the LiPo came along and it really bloomed to what we have today.
Right ... the Lipo came along. Except for a Jetcat turbine powered jet, all I have is Lipo-powered electric planes. And size does not matter. I have a 10 ft wingspan Rascal that's powered by two 5S Lipo's in series. And if I had a good place to build the 14 ft wingspan Rasal 168, I would stick a Rimfire 65cc electric motor in it powered by 12S Lipos.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

Seeing the prices on 12S Lipos I'll stick with glow or Gasoline.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:31 PM
extra300crazy

After seeing the dramatic videos of lipo fires, I'll stick with glow.
Karl
Old 12-16-2016, 04:35 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

I say its on its way out cause i dont wanna clean up when i done flying.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:13 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't care what the world is doing or trending. I tried electric, never again. The tuning, the sound, that vapor trail, are all enhancing parts of the hobby for me since 1972. Clean up is a breeze especially when you know how to set up your plane to keep the oil off the model in the first place. Deflectors and pipes help, and 409 does wonders. I get twice the flight time if not 3 times the flight time when I use 4 stroke with a large tank. I love the discounted value of all glow engines now, I have over a dozen stockpiled for a lifetime supply.

I enjoy Saito 4 strokes now in every size from 56 to 91 and bought them all used for under $100 each. Fuel for me is still $16/gal in the Orlando area the way it has been for years. I was raised on glow power and airframes made of balsa and ply that resist wind between than foam or planes measured in ounces instead of pounds. I also still kit build but won't turn down an ARF for $100. I fly planes over wingspan 50" so I can see them.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:59 PM
extra300crazy

I agree J330, as I fly 4-stokes as well. I can't see paying the asking prices for what seems to be overpriced flying foam beer coolers!
Karl
Old 12-17-2016, 03:09 PM
J330

Originally Posted by extra300crazy
I agree J330, as I fly 4-stokes as well. I can't see paying the asking prices for what seems to be overpriced flying foam beer coolers!
Karl
That's funny. I shake my head at the prices that closely match the framed up models, and yet, that's what people are buying. I find the classifieds great for closet treasures that people saved, kits have some collector value but I'll go ahead and build them anyway. You only go around once, why deny myself the full experience as it was intended?
Great memories of my dad throwing plywood over the dining room table and sitting across from me building kits as a kid. Sadly I can't share that joy with my son, he's into his PS4 virtual friendships and looks at me like I'm crazy when I show him a kit and prep the building table for him. Oh well, solo it is, play some real music and wonder how I got along without CA glue all these years. it's over too quick it seems!

Falcon 56 was only $70 shipped! I'm putting in a HP 40 Gold Cup.($30 right here from RCU) Fuselage is already done. The Saito 56 is reserved for a biplane.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:44 PM
extra300crazy

Those old kits by great designers were popular for a reason, they flew great!
Karl
Old 12-19-2016, 06:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'm getting a great deal of joy building an early 70sVK Models Fokker DR.1. I would rate the kit as "fair" when it comes to quality, the instructions are almost non-existing, just a half a page most of the techniques, order, etc are left up to the builder to figure out. VK expected you to be at a certain level of proficiency before you bought their kits and left you to your devises. I haven't built a stick built airplane in my years than I like to admit but the challenge makes it all the more fun. Like every other hardcore builder I have to tweak the design a bit to match my own tastes. I guess builders are an odd lot in general.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:16 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Originally Posted by extra300crazy
Karl
That's what I think, they just throw in some super cheap electronics and tell you it's a 'great deal'.
Give me some balsa, plywood and fiberglass. Then I will choose if I install a glow, gas or electric motor.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:56 PM
J330

The flying field is all glow during weekdays, and all electric on weekends. Tells you who is retired and the younger demographic of the working class fly with. Funny stuff really when you're out there all the time. Problem in FL is the weather is just amazing, so the kit sits 1/2 done, the outdoors are what I waited for. It's the summers here that are intensely hot that is perfect indoor kit building time. I thought FL would give me year round good weather, but it's just sort of exchanging one extreme season for another.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:36 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by J330
The flying field is all glow during weekdays, and all electric on weekends. Tells you who is retired and the younger demographic of the working class fly with. Funny stuff really when you're out there all the time. Problem in FL is the weather is just amazing, so the kit sits 1/2 done, the outdoors are what I waited for. It's the summers here that are intensely hot that is perfect indoor kit building time. I thought FL would give me year round good weather, but it's just sort of exchanging one extreme season for another.
Yeah, I remember when my in-laws first bought the retirement home in Mesa, AZ. They would rent it out to the snowbirds in the winter months. Winters in Phoenix and summers in Minnesota or Wisconsin doesn't sound half bad sometimes when it gets to be 100+ degrees in Oklahoma.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:55 AM
mikey1964
My Feedback: (-1)

Been flying 20 years and still fly nitro.Works fine for me have plenty of engines to keep me flying for some time. I like the sound and smell. Can't justify 300 for a gas engine when I have a good nitro.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:11 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing beats the smell of burnt castor oil in the morning
Old 04-07-2017, 11:57 AM
bhady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll fly glow until I can't fly anymore, real planes have engines, not motors. Anyone to lazy to spend one or two minute cleaning a little oil off their toys doesn't deserve to have them. 72 MGH still works great too. Where we fly there's only a couple of guys at the field anyway, no one's gear is on the same frequency.
bhady
Old 04-07-2017, 11:58 AM
FlyerInOKC

Last few year I have made some great deals on glow engines most new in the box or nearly new so why invest in anything else? I have a 1/4 scale Globe Swift plans and short kit to build and was looking at going gas but then I found a NIB Italian made Super Tigre S3000 for less than $100. I was given a Moki 1.80 because they guy who had it didn't was to clean it up so he could sell it. Both will esily handle airplanes in the 17 to 20 lbs. range.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:17 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. I would have never guessed that there would be such a range of opinions on this. I guess you could say I started this hobby somewhere in the late 60`s when I was 7 or 8 and winding up those Guillows planes and they would take off from the ground and get way up there. I guess that`s when a lot of us old timers got the bug. I really miss the old Cox models.The last one I bought was in 1994 at a K Mart for my nephew. These days it seems we can`t really afford to not embrace all the different aspects of our beloved hobby whether it`s glow,gas,diesel,rubber or electric. There used to be at least 2 hobby shops in my town that are long gone. But I`m encouraged when I read about a place like Triple Tree that welcomes everyone. Really hope to make it there one of these years. I was out of the hobby for a few years and recently returned. Since being so rusty it made perfect sense to get an inexpensive trainer. A Horizon Hobby styrofoam Super Cub S 3 channel with SAFE Technology and electric power fit the bill perfectly! After a few crash free flights I was ready to dust off my old balsa and plywood CG Cub with a .40 Enya and buzz around the field. I say if you have a preference,than by all means go with it, but I really hope nitro doesn`t go away.
Sorry to ramble on so in my first post.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:44 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome aboard!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:29 AM
FlyerInOKC

Welcome Stickslammer! I'm a died in the wool Glow lover but recently purchase two electric kits. Variety is the spice of life!
Old 08-16-2017, 09:57 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I am in for the variety, just yesterday we had so much fun with a bungee launched glider.
As long as glow fuel is available, I'll keep running my glow engines, nothing like a Weston 50 spinning with 28000 rpm on a screaming demon or a large 4 stroke on a scale plane.
There require more work, but it's worth it. And taking a few seconds to wipe off the oil is not really a factor.
I admit I fly more electric than glow or gas, mostly gliders. They are convenient, just not as exciting as glow, gas or turbine engines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.