Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

is nitro on its way out?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

is nitro on its way out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 05:02 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If it weren't for future thinking people, the present state of the hobby wouldn't exist. We'd all still be flying control line in school soccer fields wishing for more. In the US, it was the builder generation (1925-1945) that started most of the clubs and built most of the original facilities we have today, both in the RC hobby and also is society as a whole. They were forward thinking, focused on accomplishments and legacy, wanting to leave something behind for future generations to enjoy. Baby Boomers (1945-1965) were much more self-centered generally, but willing to contribute to things if they saw a benefit. X'ers and Millenials don't generally think much beyond themselves, only sacrificing for immediate personal benefit.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:57 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I was very encouraged at this last club meeting held at the flying field. After the official club business was dispensed with, just about everyone had fun flying something. 4 or 5 of us were flying glow planes. I maidened my Tiger 60, the club president flew his giant scale gas 3D whatever, my son was buzzing around with his foam umx ducted fan jet. At one time there were several foamies buzzing around the field at once, with one guy and his fpv quad copter in the mix.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:09 AM
born2build

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aspeed
I like to see new blood come in. If they fly drones I won't help them because I would be of no help. Otherwise I would be happy to. Lots of guys helped me out as a kid, I almost feel obligated. If there is no one to replace the guys dying off, it will be impossible to fly even the rest of (y)our life. I am hoping for 20 years, I would hope a young guy will cut the grass later on too. Already guys here are quitting glow and going gas or electric because the LHS won't carry glow fuel. Our club dues will likely go up if the new guys stay at home playing video games. Also I found the young guys have some cool toys with fresh ideas.
In model aviation, we have many sayings. My favorite one is, "Each one teach one." Whether it be tuning an engine, test flying and trimming a new airplane, or just giving advice, I have helped countless people learn more about this amazing hobby.
Those who do not feel the need to promote the world of model aviation are doing a disservice to themselves, to us, to future aeromodellers, and to the hobby.
By the way, you can get glow fuel from many places on line. Over the years (indeed, decades) I've worked at three local hobby shops and it saddens me to say they are becoming obsolete. As far as the drone guys go, well, that's a whole different can of tuna altogether, isn't it?
Old 10-24-2017, 12:20 AM
born2build

Originally Posted by jester_s1
If it weren't for future thinking people, the present state of the hobby wouldn't exist. We'd all still be flying control line in school soccer fields wishing for more. In the US, it was the builder generation (1925-1945) that started most of the clubs and built most of the original facilities we have today, both in the RC hobby and also is society as a whole. They were forward thinking, focused on accomplishments and legacy, wanting to leave something behind for future generations to enjoy. Baby Boomers (1945-1965) were much more self-centered generally, but willing to contribute to things if they saw a benefit. X'ers and Millenials don't generally think much beyond themselves, only sacrificing for immediate personal benefit.
e
You seem to have it all figured out. Glad to see you have such an open mind. While there may be certain tendencies to each generation, I don't think it's fair to categorize any one of them as being this way or that. As I have said many times before, "They weren't born that way."
Make of that what you will.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:42 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm well aware there are individuals with a significant range of temperaments and values within each generation. There were selfish punks in the builder generation, and there are forward thinking future minded people among the Millennials. The stereotypes wouldn't exist though if there wasn't some truth to them. Accomplishments alone can show you that.

If clubs want to strategize to make themselves friendly to the younger people, the key is making it personally meaningful to them in a fairly quick way. My club has some young people in it (not many) but they don't attend meetings. Why? Because 90% of the meeting is old guys talking about history or the business side of running the club. I wish the youngsters would take an interest because there is value in both, but since they don't see an immediate value for themselves they aren't interested. It's better at the field where they can fly, but in any club it only takes a few disparaging comments from old guys about their foamies or stability systems or FPV equipment to make them decide the local park is a better spot.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:46 AM
Mark Powell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by born2build
.......So, let me get this straight. As long as you get what you want from the hobby, as long as your needs are met, nothing else matters. No one else matters. Is that what I'm hearing? If it is, suddenly you are useless to me You are way too selfish and too self-centered for me and a complete waste of my time. Good day.
I'm sad that you feel like that.

I try to be honest, both in 'real' life and on forums, even if some don't like what I post.

That honesty extends to all circumstances. Do you genuinely care about what will happen to a very much 'minor' hobby in 30 or 40 years time? Maybe you do, but in all honesty I don't. As I said, our field is open to all, I have been flying models there since 1958, and have been very instrumental, even though I have access to other sites, in keeping it open FOR ALL, against continuing threats - once going so far as to look up all the 'protocols' of addressing such people as the 'Duke of Edinburgh' (the queen's husband) and writing to his 'Equerry' (the protocol study told me you never write to such people directly, but if you want their support it is sensible to take the time to learn how to address them in the accepted manner, in the same way as you will address the US President as "Mr President" whether you like him or not) in the Duke's position as patron of the British Model Fying Association and getting the Duke's personal support. Neither him nor the queen have any actual 'powers' whatsoever, but they have a great deal of influence with politicians, local officials, and so forth.

We see flyers from all walks of life, all ages, and they come and go. Despite my personal views on ARTFs, for example, I never let these views show at the field and spend considerable time setting up models for complete beginners.

And what's more, some years ago I spent two evenings a week for several years at my own expense running a class on model aircraft for the 'Duke of Edinburghs Award Scheme' which encourages and awards young people to 'achieve' things in any field. The scheme is not of course specifically involved with model aircraft but any 'achievement' in any field will count towards an award and as model aircraft are my 'non work related' skill area I did that.

The fact that I don't actually care about the long-term future of model flying does NOT prevent me from 'doing what I see as good' for society.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:29 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Default Hobby shops

Just to change the subject for a minute, we have had two hobby shops in Wyoming close. One in Casper and one in Cheyenne, I try and buy all that I could at them, but it wasn't enough. They were both a 140 and more miles away. My closest hoppy shop is Colorado now. I know its easier to go online order and wait for it on the door step. But hobby stores are dying every week it seems, no matter what we are flying, and I do prefer glow, we need to support the hobby stores in our area's. Planning a trip to Greeley soon to Wings and Things, that my local shop now, about a 180 miles.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:44 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by hairy46
Just to change the subject for a minute, we have had two hobby shops in Wyoming close. One in Casper and one in Cheyenne, I try and buy all that I could at them, but it wasn't enough. They were both a 140 and more miles away. My closest hoppy shop is Colorado now. I know its easier to go online order and wait for it on the door step. But hobby stores are dying every week it seems, no matter what we are flying, and I do prefer glow, we need to support the hobby stores in our area's. Planning a trip to Greeley soon to Wings and Things, that my local shop now, about a 180 miles.
AMEN!

I remember when I was a kid I had several hobby shops to choose from where ever you went. Now the few shops left here only one is strictly aircraft, the other two are one all car and the other one is car with a little airplane stuff. The last one decided to build his own building including a car track and is now having money problems because he overspent. He would have been better off leasing a bigger building somewhere and paying cash for his merchandise stock. I have heard he has been cutoff by the hobby wholesalers for over due accounts.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:57 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just noticed our LHS has a for sale or lease sign. They rent it out, so those days could be numbered too, depending on the new buyers if there is one. He caters to the car crowd 99%, but will order airplane stuff if his supplier carries it. WOW 180 miles. I guess the best hobby shop is about that far for me too, but I go there once in a while anyway for other reasons.

Last edited by aspeed; 10-31-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:41 AM
Mark Powell

As we seem to have got on to 'young people' I think your post is relevant.

I'm in the UK and live in a 'small' town of 28,000 people. 40 years ago there were three model shops, or more accurately, three shops that sold model plane kits, engines, etc. in addition to other things - one was mainly a fishing tackle and shooting shop, one sold wood to make furniture, etc, and the other was a library you could borrow books from for a small fee Now there are none, despite that the population has doubled.
The nearest large town is ten miles way and has a population of 350,000. Again, 40 years ago there were eight model shops and now there are none.

My nearest model shop is 45 miles away, which in a small densely populated country such as the UK is a 'considerable distance'. I am not interested in model trains but it is the same for them. Many model train shops have vanished.
And it is NOT the internet - this decline started long before the internet appeared.

It's because people don't 'make' thing anymore. The only ones who still do are older people, such as myself, who made things when we were young and continue to do so. I used to make radios, a stereo system, all sorts of electronic stuff, a shed at the bottom of the garden, etc. etc., in addition to model planes. Very few do it now, there is more money available and so they just go and buy it.

Which brings me to ARTFs . There is nothing 'wrong' with them, but they require little or no effort and the satisfaction you get from anything depends greatly on the effort you put in. So people don't stay in the hobby, whatever hobby it is. New people DO come in, but it's a 'churn' of people rather than long-termers plus a small number of newcomers who more than replaced those who left the hobby or died. Those newcomers, many of whom stayed, resulted in a slow, but continuous, increase in the numbers.

That's gone. Most UK shops still existing have a large internet presence in addition to a 'brick and mortar' shop, but despite that they are still declining in number, which, (I think) is evidence, (though maybe not proof) of what I say.

I was criticised for 'not caring'. I don't think my, or anyone else's 'caring' about it will make any difference, no more than our not liking today's weather will change it. It's a feature of our ever changing society, and it's neither bad nor good.

Last edited by Mark Powell; 10-31-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:46 AM
hairy46

Default Great guys great hobby store

Jim owns and Rick works for him, two guys that know the hobby,just plane nice guys! Yes I know its misspelled. love to go to Greeley, they have everything, first time I ever went in there I needed a cigarette when I came out. They have everything, but it is 180 so I have to keep a list going and make a trip about every 3 months. Of course I buy allot more when there then just the list. If I need it faster then thats when Tower comes in, We had a little shop here in town all he could get was what Horizon sold but it was something, when He sold the store I ordered two cases of fuel from the new people and after 8 months of excuses of why it wasn't in yet I canceled the order, not good business people. They went under of course. I wasn't the only they did wrong too. Well anybuddy need anything while im in Greeley in two weeks?
Old 10-31-2017, 07:03 AM
FlyerInOKC

I must have won the gold ring my hobby shop is in the same zip code, not more than 3 to 4 miles away! He is hanging on by the skin of his teeth but he is still there. I buy everything from him, most special orders are there with in a week. If it keeps him in business the week is worth it!
Old 10-31-2017, 03:21 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the gold ring too, but have to drive 20 minutes! After spending 10 years overseas, I came back to RC heaven! Plenty of Nitro fuel, engines, and accessories here. Lately, the shop owners have been buying out RC estates and parting the stuff out. Have bought plenty of used stuff that is in fantastic condition. Not my video here, but you will get the idea!
Old 10-31-2017, 03:27 PM
FlyerInOKC

Thats as close to heaven you can find on this planet! Beats the heck out of my shop!
Old 11-01-2017, 06:02 AM
hairy46

Default Wow nice shop!

After watching the video I really need a cigarette!
Old 11-01-2017, 08:14 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Last time I bought glow fuel, they just had two jugs of airplane fuel, then maybe 4 jugs of high nitro content for cars.
Scary, but I keep my glow engines as long as I can get fuel. And I'll mix my own if I have to.

I doubt that glow engines make a comeback nor become a collectors item unless you have something really rare.

What to do? Fly them and and maybe more people in your club will do the same. Your hobby shop will keep the fuel in stock if people buy it.

Same goes for kit or scratch building. Many people do not have the patience to build a model, but that's ok. At our club we welcome everyone, no matter what they fly. After all, its a hobby and supposed to be fun for all.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

I noticed an increase in the amount of fuel my LHS keeps in-stock. He tells me he is seeing a big increase in C/L. He is selling and selling a lot of Brodak/Dare C/L stuff.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:32 AM
ochsnm00

After watching the video I really need a cigarette!
Now that there is funny.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:40 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Smile

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I noticed an increase in the amount of fuel my LHS keeps in-stock. He tells me he is seeing a big increase in C/L. He is selling and selling a lot of Brodak/Dare C/L stuff.
I went back to our store two days ago and they had a full cabinet of glow fuel. Now I feel better
Makes me believe that some folks are really going back to glow engines.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:10 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got back to the flying field last Sunday with my Tiger 60 that I recently completed. Things have changed a lot since I took a long leave of absence from the hobby, but I think my preference will always be glow powered models built from kits or plans. Not to say I`ll pass up on a really cool EP foamy once in a while, though.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

I am dabbling a bit in electric airplanes but in kit form, give me Balsa! I recently purchased a long since discontinued Graupner JU-52, it came with the brushed motors, and a Dumas DH-89 Dragon Rapide which I will use a couple of brushless outrunners on separate ESCs I just ordered from Heads UP R/C. I will probably swap the fuselage corner stick for Bass to keep from breaking them when I cover the beast. I may pick up 1 or 2 more electric kits I'm looking at the SIG Dornier DO-217 kit and Brodak Songbird (Cessna T-50 Bobcat) kit. I find electric multi-engine airplanes easier to setup than glow. I must be lazy.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:05 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hear ya with the multi engine thing. I am assembling a Twinstick now, and the mounts were for a .46. Of course I want to save my two AXs for some other projects, so I am using a couple LA .40s Great choice hopefully, but the mounts are too wide, still have to mount servos, pushrods Y harness, set the idle... It should sound cool though, if I ever get it done. You know, Vice president of the slower than a dead turtle nailed to a fencepost club.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:01 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Vice president of the slower than a dead turtle nailed to a fencepost club.
, I got the same problem and with all the pre holiday housework I have to do. very hard to get down to the shop.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:27 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by aspeed
I hear ya with the multi engine thing. I am assembling a Twinstick now, and the mounts were for a .46. Of course I want to save my two AXs for some other projects, so I am using a couple LA .40s Great choice hopefully, but the mounts are too wide, still have to mount servos, pushrods Y harness, set the idle... It should sound cool though, if I ever get it done. You know, Vice president of the slower than a dead turtle nailed to a fencepost club.
Originally Posted by Tom Nied
, I got the same problem and with all the pre holiday housework I have to do. very hard to get down to the shop.
I think the Builders slower than a dead turtle nailed to a fence post association has a huge number of Vice presidents! Maybe I should start a thread?
Old 11-16-2017, 11:22 PM
born2build

But, if you were slower than a dead turtle tied to a fencepost, you'd be going backwards, wouldn't you? Just a thought.
I started a thread in the park flyers forum titled "Dumas and Pat Tritle" about building park flyers from kits. I've had only one fella (Fox 35) respond so far. Care to join me? I'm working on (yet another) Sig Rascal as we speak. I'll post some pictures there when it's done. Right now, she's ready for final assembly and installations. Then, in no particular order, I have a Nieuport 28, a Waco YMF-5, and a Stinson Voyager. Mixed in with those are the usual glow powered stuff still in their boxes. Oh, and a Bird of Time! Beautiful thing that is. Come on over and we'll show 'em how it's done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.