Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

is nitro on its way out?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

is nitro on its way out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 07:23 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by born2build
But, if you were slower than a dead turtle tied to a fencepost, you'd be going backwards, wouldn't you? Just a thought.
I started a thread in the park flyers forum titled "Dumas and Pat Tritle" about building park flyers from kits. I've had only one fella (Fox 35) respond so far. Care to join me? I'm working on (yet another) Sig Rascal as we speak. I'll post some pictures there when it's done. Right now, she's ready for final assembly and installations. Then, in no particular order, I have a Nieuport 28, a Waco YMF-5, and a Stinson Voyager. Mixed in with those are the usual glow powered stuff still in their boxes. Oh, and a Bird of Time! Beautiful thing that is. Come on over and we'll show 'em how it's done.
Actually the dead turtles start to sag after a while so they are still moving just extremely slow. Summer heat does help the process.

Thanks for mentioning your thread I just subscribed to it and posted.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 11-17-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:18 PM
born2build

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FlyerInOKC
Excellent! I'll see you there. All are welcome, of course.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:21 PM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thailazer
I have the gold ring too, but have to drive 20 minutes! After spending 10 years overseas, I came back to RC heaven! Plenty of Nitro fuel, engines, and accessories here. Lately, the shop owners have been buying out RC estates and parting the stuff out. Have bought plenty of used stuff that is in fantastic condition. Not my video here, but you will get the idea! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivTej0r7fj4
I say... what a marvelous establishment!
To answer the original thread starter question. Unfortunately...Yes, it certainly is!
Compared to 20 years ago, every element of society has changed beyond recognition. Methanol, castor and chicken sticks are the least dramatic of the changes.
If you don't believe that, you've just got to get your head out of the delightful balsa and dope hanger environment... we all look forward to returning to in the next life.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:40 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a hobby! We do what we enjoy. No reason to "get your head out of the delightful balsa and dope environment". As long as there are people who enjoy glow engines, people will fly them. "Nitro" isn't on the way out, it's on the way down. Big difference.

Horse back riding has declined a lot since the rise of the automobile, but lots of people get tremendous pleasure from it. Same with wood working and many other things. Decline is not the same as extinction.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:55 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

A point well taken!
Old 12-05-2017, 10:39 PM
born2build

There was a time, many moons ago, the glow plug was invented. Since then, with the exception of old-timers and a few diesel-powered models,virtually all model airplanes used glow fuel.
Then, in the late '70's, came giant scale. Converted chain saw and weed whacker engines grew in popularity. The manufacturers saw a new market for dedicated gas burning model airplane engines and answered the call. Then electric power finally came of age.
Glow power isn't on the way out. Of course not. We simply have a lot more to choose from, now. Did I mention gas turbines?
Isn't model aviation wonderful?
Old 12-06-2017, 06:04 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Well born2build, don't forget rubber power. It's still viable, fun and available.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:40 PM
born2build

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Well born2build, don't forget rubber power. It's still viable, fun and available.
OMG! I love rubber power! Never tried it for R/C, though. Although someone has, as I recall.
Rubber powered free flight has taught me a great deal about trimming for flight. I highly recommend it!
Check out "Maxfliart" on You Tube. This guy is an artist and a true craftsman. Beautiful stuff, truly.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:54 AM
Tom Nied

I checked out Maxfliart, absolutely agree with you. I used to fly Indoor Free Flight, and yes, it really does teach trimming for flight. I get mesmerized watching a good flight. It was hard pulling myself from watching his videos, they are so great.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:41 PM
born2build

Glad you enjoyed it, Ted. I still have my 5 to 1 winder and some nice Japanese tissue, but I need to stock up on rubber, lube, and a few kits.
I do have a Dumas Gee Bee Model E stashed away. I think that will do nicely. Cheers, mate!
Old 12-17-2017, 06:46 PM
Tom Nied

I've got a 20:1 Wilder winder, rubber stripper, and a real good supply of Gampi tissue. Time is the problem.