Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Engine for H9 carbon cub

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Engine for H9 carbon cub

Old 04-15-2017, 07:02 PM
Mtnmike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine for H9 carbon cub

I have a H9 carbon cub that I am getting ready to purchase an engine for. The recommended engine is the evolution 15cc. My thinking is the evo 20cc would be a better choice especially since I intend to get floats for the plane. I,ve read a few reviews that say the 15cc might be a bit underpowered for floats. Anyone who has a CC out there with either engine? Your input would be greatly appeciated.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:28 AM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

i have the 15. it is a decent lil motor. i saw one of thencarbon cubs fly with the power 60. it flew fine. the 15 is a little stronger than a good glow 60 but not quite a good 90'four stroke. i have mine on a flying king and a 90 fourstroke equipped one will out climb me but i have a bit more speed.. it would be fine on the cub. but the 20 would probably be my choice. especially with floats..
Old 04-16-2017, 03:28 PM
Mtnmike

Thanks for the input walla, I have done some more searching since this thread and it looks like I would have to butcher the cowl to put the 20cc on it as you can't get a pitts style muffler like you can the evo15cc. I actually found a post from Ali who is the guy who designed the plane and he stated that the 15cc does fine, even with floats.So I think I'm going to stick with the engine HH recommends. hopefully it will power ok
Old 08-23-2018, 08:22 AM
RandallJamieson

So what did you do? Does the EVO 15 pull well with floats.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:50 PM
Mtnmike

So, I went with the Evo 15cc. I have never been more disappointed in an engine. It barely had enough power to climb out. Then I had numerous dead sticks and came close to losing the plane. I sent the engine back to horizon and they said the rings were burnt up. They sent me a brand new engine which was very good of them. The problem was that I had the same problems with the new engine. I finally decided to put a dle20 in the plane before I lost it. Dle 20 runs great and pulls the airplane beautifully. It was a bit of a challenge fitting it in the plane but not that bad. Now I have an Evo 15cc for sale! lol!