Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Looking at a Kobra

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Looking at a Kobra

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 05:08 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Managed to get back in the shop and get the wing almost done. Just sanding, covering and the ailerons. Got some servo extensions and decided to remove the plastic connectors, slide the terminals together and secure with shrink tubing. Now on to the fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	2252754  
Old 02-04-2018, 10:06 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickslammer
Managed to get back in the shop and get the wing almost done. Just sanding, covering and the ailerons. Got some servo extensions and decided to remove the plastic connectors, slide the terminals together and secure with shrink tubing. Now on to the fuselage.
I've done everything from custom wiring harnesses to just taping over the extension connectors. Not sure yet how I will slay this dragon on the current project.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:03 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I put extension wires on servos I always solder the wires together, after putting some heat shrink tubing some way down the wire. Then after the connection is soldered, I slide the heat shrink tubing in place and shrink with a heat gun. I'm not sure I correctly understand what you did, but if you just lined up exposed copper ends and joined with heat shrink, I would not trust that. Apologies if I misunderstood. Jim
Old 02-08-2018, 10:12 AM
Stickslammer

Because I didn`t want to make the holes in the ribs any bigger than I had to, what I did was remove the plastic connector housings that are on the ends of the extensions. The male and female plugs. I left the crimped on pins and receptacles on, and after threading them through the ribs, pushed the connectors together and shrunk the tubing on. I felt that with ample physical resistance with the terminal and the heat shrink that there would be a good strong connection, although I guess a dab of solder couldn`t have hurt.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:42 PM
Stickslammer

Fuselage is coming along nicely. Funny, though, as it seems that the actual length of the fuselage exceeds the plan length.

Name:	IMG_0149.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	2254357   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0152.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	2254358   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0151.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	3.15 MB
ID:	2254359   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0150.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	2254360  
Old 02-11-2018, 09:08 PM
born2build

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! that's a lot! Usually, if the plans don't match the parts, the parts are right. Plans will expand and contract as they are shipped to various climates. Parts not so much. But that much? I dunno. I wouldn't worry too much. Just be sure the CG is correct and you'll be fine.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:37 AM
Mrotar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stickslammer, your Kobra looks real good. Rick is right about the parts being right. It looks like you dont have that much left to do on your build.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:14 PM
Stickslammer

Thanks. It`s coming along pretty good. Coming into those trickier parts that really need a good eye. I goofed up on my elevator and rudder pushrod assemblies, but luckily had some thick long balsa pieces from the Cub kit scrap for do-overs.
Tried to post some pics but got a "security button missing" message or something like that. I`ll try again later.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:17 PM
ampeater
My Feedback: (1)

Hey, I built a Kobra about ten years ago, if I remember right has an AXI 2826/20 on 4S. Was heavy, probably about 5 pounds. Wasn't tail heavy but had to watch the stick inputs, it loves to snap on me. I had to reduce the elevator throw a bunch. Also, I had to run a square prop, think it was an 8x8 for ground clearance. Love flying it, was fast, but just took a lot of concentration to not overmaneuver it. Been working overseas and haven't flown it for a while though. Can't wait to dust it off when I get home.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:30 PM
Stickslammer

Now it`s working. Here are the pics I was trying to load in my last post:

Name:	IMG_0161.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	2256768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	2256769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0163.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	2256770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0164.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	2256771  
Old 03-07-2018, 08:05 PM
Mrotar

Stickslammer, your Kobra is looking good.

ampeater, post some pictures of yours. (your Kobra of course)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:49 AM
flygilmore

Is there much flying difference between this and the Kougar? I've lately had the urge to build one of these or the Kougar really bad.
Thanks.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:52 PM
Mrotar

flygilmore, they have similar flight charistics. The Kobra seems faster but that might be an illusion because its a little smaller. they are both easy to fly, the Kougar lands a little slower, at least it seems to. I only have three flights on my Kougar so far so I'm not as familiar with how it flies.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:47 AM
Stickslammer

It`s coming along slowly. I know a lot of guys don`t do box art, but I think it`s really impressive. Trying to do the F-16 version on this one. I`ll post the finished product when it`s finally done.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:22 AM
Mrotar

Stickslammer, your Kobra looks great! You are going to love how it flies. I recently started my second Kobra now that my Kougar is finished
Old 04-08-2018, 10:28 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I had to pop in. looking in reminds me of the Kobra built my my son and I a long time ago. he was abot 15 or so and we built it with retracts(b&d) and powered it with a O.S.fp35. needless to say it was a bottle rocket.
we could not use a muffler.... Too nose heavy. we have built and flown all three of these birds with no regrets I have two king Kobras in the works now and my son has his. these pictures are quite old.

a long time ago

first flight setup ...really shook us up. we had a ball it was fast and maneuverable especially with the gear up.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:58 AM
Mrotar

Nice! Retracts must have been a tight squeeze in a Kobra
Old 04-08-2018, 02:18 PM
Stickslammer

Mrotar and donnyman,
Very cool!
Y`know, I have built relatively few in all these years, and never gotten past shrinking on the monokote and putting stickers on. I am looking forward to trying the various methods of decorating. I built a Tiger 60 but all I`ve done is the overall red. I need to try the Windex method that I`ve read about and get the white stripage on.
Again, I really like the box art on that one too. I`ll have to get more imaginative. There`s been some real beauties here.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:16 AM
donnyman

my sons king Kobra

he was a little scared to fly this one.

a friends kobra on my bench, it was used to make a copy for me with built up wings.

kobra from the kit
In all honesty I don't remember too much of the installation of the retracts except the air tank was in the turtle deck, and they slammed shut real fast until we used limiters, my first try on the sticks I did four axial rolls before I realized it was in motion. The roll rate was awesome with the gear up and different with them down, we did a lot of sanding to keep the weight down, my son hated sanding. actually it was a bit too fast for my reflexes. That tool box and fuel can is still in use by me. Time really flies by. that picture was taken sometime (i think ) in the 1980's.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:35 AM
donnyman

Here, the kits and the copy king Kobras
Slickhammer
My apologies for barging in on your thread but I do like this bird this will be my last pic.

why are the pics so big??
Old 04-09-2018, 09:12 AM
Stickslammer

donnyman, that`s no problem at all. Post as many pics as you want on this thread. I`m thinking that`s quite a busy shop you have there. It`s inspiration for me to expand past the little corner of the garage I`ve got now to several big work benches, cabinets and lots of airplanes hanging all over. I didn`t build one until getting a Sig LT40 for Christmas in 1995 when I was 34 years old. And that was before I had kids. It`s really been nothing but dabbling for all these years, but I still love it and always will. I was hoping to get my son interested in it but I guess to each his own.

p.s. I think the pics are bigger from the new format. I like this better, you don`t have to click on them.

Last edited by Stickslammer; 04-09-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:27 PM
Mrotar

Nice pictures donnyman! I like the built up wing king kobra.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:03 AM
Stickslammer

I was fretting about having to paint the top cowl, since Lustrekote would have been so easy but now is unavailable. So I cut a piece of Monokote, peeled off the backing and contact cemented it to the cowling. Turned out pretty good, I think.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:28 PM
donnyman

That built up wing and fuse is my copy of the kit. It used to be standard practice for me to copy everything I built so my son and I could fly together, which we did as often as possible.
now that he is grown and out on his own I build for me. I still have a lot of sanding to do and such and don't have much time for it lately it may take a while before I finish. notice the cowl, I found it at a swap meet cheap. the turtle deck and canopy was bought new.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:14 AM
Mrotar

Originally Posted by Stickslammer

I was fretting about having to paint the top cowl, since Lustrekote would have been so easy but now is unavailable. So I cut a piece of Monokote, peeled off the backing and contact cemented it to the cowling. Turned out pretty good, I think.
Stickslammer, looks like a good way to do the turtledeck to me!

Donnyman what engine are you planning to use on your built up King Kobra?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.