Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Looking at a Kobra

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Looking at a Kobra

Old 10-15-2017, 07:28 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking at a Kobra

When I was a member of a previous club, I decided to try getting into combat with some other members. I purchased a small scale Pico Mustang kit along with a MDS .18 and all the necessities. I moved away before the plane was built. At my new address, I finally completed the kit, but never actually flew it. It had a skid for landing, but after several hand launching attempts and subsequent repairs, I rendered the plane un-flyable and shelved it before it finally ended up on the trash heap.
I kept the engine, of course, and since getting back into the hobby, I`m now looking for a new firewall to hang it on. I just got a Tower catalog in the mail ( I`m on the radar now, but anything related to R/C is not junk mail!), and saw the Kobra Kit. I specifies .19 to .35 but I thought my .18 would do the trick It looks like a cool little plane that a kinda intermediate pilot like myself could handle. Any thoughts?

P.S. It`s heartening to see, in spite of some of the gloom and doom talk about the R/C hobby disappearing, all the companies that are offering kits, arfs,rtr, ect. for all the hobbies. I know most of the stuff is mfr`d in China, but maybe more and more stuff will get back to being made in the Good Old U.S.A.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:44 PM
Mrotar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cant go wrong with the Kobra, its stable at all speeds with no bad habits. I powered mine with an OS .35AX. it really moves.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:50 PM
born2build

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember seeing ads for the Kobra as far back as the early '80's. It's a scaled down version of the Kouger.I've always admired it's rakish lines and it used the same size engine as my trainer, an O.S. 25 FSR. Any good .25 will fly it well. I don't think you'll like the performance with the .18, though. Think of the Kobra as a .25 size pattern ship. I'm trying to think of something similar for a .15 to .18 and coming up empty. Unfortunately, electrics are killing the small engine market.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Mrotar

I agree, the .18 might be marginal on power for the Kobra. It fly's well at lower speeds but aerobatics will be marginal with the smaller engine. Unfortunately I killed mine during a low inverted pass, pulled instead of pushed. It was the best flying plane that I ever had. I have two more kits so I will build another one or two!
Old 10-19-2017, 09:54 PM
born2build

Originally Posted by Mrotar
I agree, the .18 might be marginal on power for the Kobra. It fly's well at lower speeds but aerobatics will be marginal with the smaller engine. Unfortunately I killed mine during a low inverted pass, pulled instead of pushed. It was the best flying plane that I ever had. I have two more kits so I will build another one or two!
Ouch! The dreaded figure 9.
Wait! You have two kits? Can I have one? I've got a Webra Speed 32 that will yank it!
I'll trade you for it?! Wouldn't it be cool with retracts? Yes, it would!
Old 10-20-2017, 05:56 AM
Mrotar

Both Sig and Tower Hobbies still sell the Kobra. A Webra would really perform well on the Kobra. I would consider the trade if the kit was unavailable but the webra is worth more than what the kit sells for. I dont want to rip any one off!
Old 10-20-2017, 07:07 AM
born2build

Both Sig and Tower Hobbies still sell the Kobra. A Webra would really perform well on the Kobra. I would consider the trade if the kit was unavailable but the webra is worth more than what the kit sells for. I dont want to rip any one off!
I'm sorry, buddy. I guess I should be more careful with my phrasing. The Webra wasn't part of the deal. I was thinking it would be a good fit for MY Kobra, I was just teasing, anyway. I even have a Mac's muffled pipe for it. But thanks for being a "regular guy." Shoot! Now I want a Kobra all over again!
Old 10-20-2017, 05:34 PM
Stickslammer

There`s also this one. I`m not sure what brand it is. It says "PRO" under the airplane symbol. A .36 made in Taiwan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0097.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	2241758  
Old 10-20-2017, 08:31 PM
Mrotar

Its all good born2build. We need more Kobras flying.

Stickslammer the Thunder Tiger should make it go pretty good.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:06 PM
born2build

a
Its all good born2build. We need more Kobras flying.

Stickslammer the Thunder Tiger should make it go pretty good.
Yeah, the Thunder Tiger will definitely make for some very tall verticals, indeed!
I'd love to build a Kobra for the Webra, but I need another kit like a moose needs a hat rack!
We'll see...
By the way, call me Rick.
-------------------------------
So many airplanes, but only one lifetime. It's not fair, I tell ya!
Old 10-21-2017, 08:06 AM
Stickslammer

Oh, I see. That must be the symbol for when they still made engines. Typed in the name and saw they are still big into r/c. I finally saw "Thunder Tiger" stamped over the 36 on the other side. I got this years ago on a flimsy contraption I bought on consignment from a long gone hobby shop. It had a length of aluminum channel for a fuselage and some folded over corrugated plastic for wings. I tried flying it and it got away from me and ended up in some power lines way across the field. I went over there the next day and luckily the wind blew it down. I took it off with the servos here it`s been sitting since I think it was 2004 or 5. The engine looks very little used. I`ll put it on that Kobra. There should be another kit out there that I can find for that .18.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:35 AM
Stickslammer

Just ordered a Kobra kit from Tower Hobbies. On backorder.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:37 AM
born2build

House of Balsa has an At-6 Texan and a P-51 Mustang designed for a .15. You might have to go direct, though, and they're getting kinda pricey. But, they're fun to build and they fly well. I believe you can go directly to Sig for the Kobra, as well. Good luck!
Old 10-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Mrotar

Ok Rick, call me Mark!
Here are some pictures of my Kobra
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0116.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2241842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1838.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2241843  
Old 10-21-2017, 04:17 PM
born2build

You're killin' me, Mark. You're killin' me, I tell ya! I had forgotten just what a slick airplane the Kobra really is. Nice job! She looks like an F-16, a T-38, and a Dirty Birdy had a 3-way. Hope the moderator doesn't see this. Ha!
Question, I'm thinking about side-mounting the Webra so I can sling the pipe underneath. How hard do you think that would be? Is there room behind the firewall to lower the tank (6 oz.)? Okay, that was two questions. That would accomplish two things. It would allow me to enhance the nose for that jet fighter look, while keeping the pipe out of sight, as well as keeping the plane itself much cleaner. Okay, that was three things. Whaddaya think? Now, if I can only find some Blue Angels markings for it....
Old 10-21-2017, 05:05 PM
born2build

Hey, Mark. I'm trying to upload some photos for you. I've only done it a couple of times just recently. How do I know when an upload is finished? My connection can be very sketchy sometimes so...
Old 10-21-2017, 08:00 PM
Mrotar

Rick I can only do it from my ipad, and it still takes me a few minutes to figure it out. I dont have any pictures of my planes on the family computer so I have never tried to upload pictures on a regular computer. I had an eight ounce Sullivan rectangular tank on its side in my Kobra and there was plenty of room underneath to move it lower. The nose forward of the firewall is tight with the engine upright. Im sure there is enough room to mount the Webra on its side, another builder on one of these threads had a side mounted engine on his.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:56 AM
born2build

Okay, Mark. That's good to know. I'll see if I can squeeze one into the budget. The kit is cheap enough, but I gotta factor in covering and servos and stuff. I think I'll go with high torque, metal gear minis. We can do that, now. Not so much when the Kobra was originally released.
Thanks, buddy!
Old 10-22-2017, 04:54 AM
Mrotar

Any time Rick, I used standard sized Futaba S3003 servos in mine with no problems at all. High torque mini servos will work great. I ordered my last kit from Sig, and I got it in five days.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:12 AM
born2build

Any time Rick, I used standard sized Futaba S3003 servos in mine with no problems at all. High torque mini servos will work great. I ordered my last kit from Sig, and I got it in five days.
I want to try to keep the weight under four pounds. Plus, It's become habit of mine to use one servo per aileron, mounting them in the wing and covering them with hatches. I really don't like to see radio equipment hanging outside the airframe.
I already have about a half a dozen or so kits, including a Sig Ryan ST-A and a Pica 1/5 Bucker. But I think I can frame up a Kobra fairly quickly. I once went on a tear and framed up a Great Planes Super Sportster 60 in one weekend. I call it, "binge building."
Right now, I'm in between sanding sessions on a Sig Rascal. You know the drill... Sand until you are tired. Rest. Then, sand some more. Repeat! Still can't load any photos. I'll keep trying, though. I noticed you live in California. I'm from there. Were you affected by the fires?
I sure hope not. Well, back to (sigh) sanding!
Old 10-22-2017, 08:52 AM
Mrotar

Rick, I live in a small town south east of Sacramento, and we were fortunate not to be affected by the fires. I know what you mean by sanding, sanding, and more sanding. Im sure that you could quickly frame up a Kobra, there is not that much to it. Mine weighed 3lbs 10oz with four standard servos, and I sheeted the leading edge back to the main spar.
Im also in the middle if a sanding party on a Sig Kougar.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:19 PM
born2build

Hey, Mark. It sounds like you're not too far from the Modesto/Stockton area. I knew a girl from there many years ago.
The Kobra doesn't use wing sheeting and cap strips?
The Kougar, huh? I started the hobby with a 20 size trainer so I moved up to a Great Planes Sportster 20. Soon after, I built a Sportster 60 with a Webra 61. The difference was like night and day! Bigger really does fly better. Hope you don't lose interest in the Kobra after flying the Kougar. You just might! Well, more sanding! I took a little time off today.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:02 PM
Stickslammer

Mark, I`m a Northern Ca. native. Ever been up around Yreka?
Old 10-23-2017, 07:34 PM
Mrotar

I have been through Yreka a few times. The Kobra uses a one inch wide leading edge sheet with capstrips. Since I used a .35 on mine I sheeted the wing from the leading edge to the spar. I don't know if it was necessary, but it made a D box structure. I will always like the Kobra, it's a little hotrod that saves a little fuel compared to the .46 sized airplanes and flys like a .60 sized pattern plane.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:27 AM
born2build

I have been through Yreka a few times. The Kobra uses a one inch wide leading edge sheet with capstrips. Since I used a .35 on mine I sheeted the wing from the leading edge to the spar. I don't know if it was necessary, but it made a D box structure. I will always like the Kobra, it's a little hotrod that saves a little fuel compared to the .46 sized airplanes and flys like a .60 sized pattern plane.
Yeah, the D-box definitely makes for a stronger wing, not to mention a truer airfoil. Weight gain is minimal. I guess Sig is trying to keep the price down. The Kobra is even cheaper then the Rascal.
Back in the '80's, I built an Airtronics kit called the New Era III. The design concept was a 25 size airplane that flew like a 60 size pattern ship. Man, did they ever nail it! That was the last trike geared bird I have built ( no kidding!). I wonder how the Kobra would look as a tail dragger? Pretty weird, huh?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.