Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Which Would You Go For?

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Which Would You Go For?

Old 08-08-2018, 05:45 AM
nheather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Would You Go For?

Returning to flying after a 10 year gap. Used to fly a lot and was reasonable experienced.

Currently flying an IC powered Great Planes Big Stik 40, bit tatty and not flying great to be honest but sure I can sort it out. But it has always been the intention to get something new.

I quite fancy the Acro Wot. Not sure what impact it has in the states but a very popular and respected design back in the UK. It's a low wing (60") tail dragger, relatively stable to fly fully aerobatic. Electric or IC, electric 1350W, 60A ESC, 5S 5000 LiPo, up to 55 two stroke or 80 four stroke.

Question which would you go for, electric or IC. Buying everything from scratch.

Price wise, Electric plus one battery is the same as IC (OS 55AX or ASP 80 four stroke), clearly electric will need more than one battery, but IC needs fuel. Relative cost, one battery = two gallons fuel.

Electric is attractive because it is clean, reliable and there is no limits when I can fly at the club. Also like the clean lines, no cutting holes in the cowl etc. Putting me off are battery cost, that batteries have to be replaced every 3 years and that 5S 5000 might be an odd size that I can't use elsewhere - for example, may be interested in a 550 sized helicopter but that would use 6S. Wonder whether I would best looking for something that uses 4S.

IC is attractive because you can fly all day (no running out of batteries after 18 minutes of flying), and I still do like the noise and the tinkering that goes with IC. Against IC is limited flying at the club, but not that limited to be honest (Weds PM, Fri PM and Sat/Sun all day), and cleaning oil off the plane after flight.

If I did go IC although I recognise the OS is the better quality engine and has more power I would be leaning towards the ASP because I like the sound and the grunt of the four stroke and the relatively clean lines, no huge silencer to deal with.

Or I could just get a much cheaper foamy - like the Century Ruckus

https://www.centuryuk.com/RC-Planes/...-Thrust-Ruckus

About half the price (without batteries).

Cheers,

Nigel

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited by nheather; 08-08-2018 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:48 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in my "old school" mind set,....I would go for IC. I just can't get my head wrapped around flying without hearing an engine.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:02 AM
nheather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must admit I came back thinking I would be moving to electric.

My return to the hobby so far has been with my old IC plane and helicopter and much as there is a lot about electric I like I'm finding messing around with IC engines very enjoyable.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 08-16-2018, 11:43 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Go with glow! One dimension (knowlegd how to set and run a glow engine) is removed if you go electric. -More "toyish"!
Old 08-17-2018, 04:42 AM
Tom Nied

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I say you need them both man. Acro Wot glow powered and the Ruckus electric. Isn't that the best answer?
Old 08-25-2018, 07:24 AM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nheather
I quite fancy the Acro Wot.
Question which would you go for, electric or IC.
Hello Nigel,

First off I hope things are well in the UK. Such an interesting place in my opinion. Things here are pandemonium, again in my opinion. But then things have always been messed up in the world and I think they always will be messed up. Let me change direction now

I like that Wot. Thanks for the posting. I bought a sim and have been flying the Sbach and it flys like a dream. The Wot is similar form and shape and maybe better for my purpose.

I will likely have an electric in the future but I think certain designs lend themselves to IC. I saw a posting the other day that made the claim that the IC takes a bit of the "toy" aspect out of the endeavor. I agree with that.

So put me down for another vote for IC
Old 09-08-2018, 07:14 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The Ruckus features far more modern design thinking than the Acrowhat. Go that way.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:59 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by nheather
Must admit I came back thinking I would be moving to electric.

My return to the hobby so far has been with my old IC plane and helicopter and much as there is a lot about electric I like I'm finding messing around with IC engines very enjoyable. Cheers,

Nigel
Have you ever given going gas a thought as there are several excellent quality 15 - 20cc engines available and of course with gas there is basically none of that glow exhaust goo to clean up afterwards.