Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Props vrs props

Old 08-28-2018, 06:24 AM
Lee Taylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Props vrs props

What is the current train of thought on propellers in regards to nylon vrs wood? I hope I am not showing my ignorance. I do remember plastic props. I think they were nylon... not sure. I seem to remember the wood would run in a more true fashion and the nylon would flex more. BUT the wood would chip and wear faster and were more dangerous in regards to coming apart?

I need some thoughts, info, perspectives.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:00 PM
BelAirBob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am finding that propellers are getting harder and harder to find so you may end up with what is available

i have been to two hobby hobby shops in the last week. Neither had any propellers except for electrics. I was looking for 13, 14 and 15 diameters. One had the Top Flite propeller chart but no props

i looked on the Tower Hobbies site and evidently all the Top Flite props have been discontinued. I just I need to start prop shopping at flea markets

bob
Old 08-28-2018, 04:37 PM
Lee Taylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We used this brand in the 70's:

https://www.masterairscrew.com/
Old 08-28-2018, 04:47 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For your average .049 to 1.2 size stuff APC props can't be beat. They also have electric only props up to 24".

https://www.apcprop.com/

Wood props, Xoar is the go to manufacturer.

http://www.xoarintl.com/

For large scale carbon fiber props, nothing beats a Falcon

https://www.falconpropellers.com/
Old 08-28-2018, 07:05 PM
aspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like the Master Airscrew glass reinforced ones the best because they sometimes survive a noseover. APC is more efficient. I only use the old Tornado and Top Flight non reinforced ones for lower performance motors, but like them. I find the blades may not track properly, but when running, they straighten out. At certain rpms they flop around a bit. Most of the newer ones seem to be balanced well from the package, unlike the older ones and the wood ones. Wood varies in density. I don't use large props over 14" though. I think wood may be a better choice for that, as they are usually gas and have a big enough flywheel to idle well.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:38 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When you start flying 3D, throttle response is something you start paying attention to with prop sizes over 13-14" or so. The wood, being lighter, offers better throttle response. Like many other things though, there's no free rides, especially if you are flying off grass. I'm just going to say there are very few wooden props seen with grass stains on them. Pretty common for many composite props...

I fly APC and Zoar, depending, even when flying 3D......
Old 09-04-2018, 04:36 PM
Lee Taylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I received some purchased props in the mail the other day. I am prop-ing three engines. An Enya 15, an Enya 45, and a OS 60. Getting back into it as I am, I want to get them on a test stand and warm them up a bit so I can evaluate them. I have a new test stand on the way from the UK. It looks finely made. It is metal and quickly mechanically adjustable for many size engines.

My new (used) OS
Click image for larger version

Name:	44345328572_df44e4bb11_o.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	2261848