Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Which rate do you normally sport fly on

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Which rate do you normally sport fly on

Old 09-11-2018, 07:24 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Which rate do you normally sport fly on

Do you normally fly on low rates and switch to high rates if required or do you fly on high rates and switch to low if needed.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:59 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

A new plane will be flown on low rates generally, giving me time to get to know the plane. Eventually high rates will be used on occasion, but take off and landing done on low. This whole time, dual rate travels, as well as expo levels will be adjusted. When right, the center 20% of my stick travels will duplicate what I have going on for low rate, with the rest of the stick travel set as necessary to get roll rates right (no use for ballistic roll rates here), elevator up and down travel right (they are way different on my planes!), etc. When right, after a LOT of testing/adjusting (weeks!), I'll find my self so comfortable on high rate I'll rarely use low. Everything set this way, sport and 3D.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:50 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Was just wondering if I might have been selling myself short but I do it exactly like you do which just feels right to me.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:01 PM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*Disclaimer* I havent flown in several years**

WHEN i was flying regularly those planes I used dual rates on I would keep on high in the air, and if it was a windy day or one of my more twitchy setups Id go low rates for landing and sometimes takeoff as well. (I also almost always set my slave buddy box transmitter to low rates for anyone I was teaching. Helped me keep in front of my student's potential mistakes.)
Old 09-12-2018, 01:48 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I almost never use dual rates or expo. My first two radios only had 2 sticks and the 4 trim tabs. All adjustments had to be made on the plane. Thats way i have all ways done it.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:05 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I started off flying that way, and did for MANY years, but the huge size of the control surfaces on late design sport and 3D planes force a new way of thinking about how you do things. That and wanting to advance my flying skills.

I would likely still be flying single rate if using strip ailerons for instance.....
Old 04-12-2019, 05:17 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
You should always use as much servo trow (100 % or more) as you can! That means using the shortest servo arm as possible and longest elevator /aileron arm as possible. You should never ever use dual rates with as low as 25%-50% travel...it's OK on throttle but not on any flying surface.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:14 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I almost never change rates but set my radio as follows. I use just a little expo on low rates but quite a bit of expo on high rates. Most of my flying is done using about 1/3 of the stick movement. So I set the low rates and low expo where it needs to be. Then after setting max throw on high rate I hold 1/3 stick movement and look at the surface deflection. I flip the dual rate switch back and forth while holding that 1/3 of stick and dial up the expo on high rate until the surface does not move when I switch from high to low. This way the plane flys the same within the first 1/3 of stick movement no matter the switch position. You are never surprised if you take off on high rate. When you want to 3D you have the needed throw. I have found this works better for thumb flyers. Pinch flyers don't normally use as much stick movement. Everythng I fly has large control surfaces and found this method to work well.

David
Old 04-13-2019, 03:42 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find dual rates are handy only for test flights and high performance planes with a wide speed and performance envelope. i.e. pylon racers, pattern, etc.
Once a plane is dialed in, I'll never throw the switch on it again.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:36 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

There is no wrong answer to this question, it's all about personal preference and ability. That being said, I use multiple rates not only on my competition airplanes but my sport airplanes as well. I just find that it makes the " Daily Fliers " just a little more enjoyable. They are usually set up with low rates, high rates and a landing rate that will reduce aileron and rudder throw and bump up elevator slightly from the low rate settings.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:52 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For race planes we typically use low rates for racing but need high rates to have enough travel to land and take off.

Scott