Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

RotoMax motor/ Velox II

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

RotoMax motor/ Velox II

Old 10-09-2018, 06:17 AM
RoyR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RotoMax motor/ Velox II

Hi,
I am a Sport flyer. I don't do pattern, I don't do 3D. I just like to fly for fun.
I have been flying RC since the 70s. and Control line before that. So, yes, I'm getting up there. And yes, I am experienced.
I have a 1.20 size Maxair Velox II that I crashed years ago. I repaired the breaks, patched the cowl, and then left it hanging on the wall for a few years. I am again in the process of rebuilding and recovering.
I loved the way it flew, and had a YS 115 in it. I have since sold all my 4stroke glow engines and switched to electric the last few years. Since I don't compete, I have gone cheap (make that 'less expensive’) with motors and ESCs. For most of my electrics I use the Turnigy easy match motors and have had great luck with them. So far I see no reason to pay more for motors or ESCs when I can get the performance I want with the Hobby King ones.

For the 1.20 size plane (Velox) I am rebuilding, I am looking at the Turnigy RotoMax 1.20.
I haven’t flown electric that large yet. They do make a G110 of the type I have been using, but I have been trying to find anyone that has flown with the RotoMax type motors. If so, any pros, or cons? I really can't find any real world information on them. They look completely different than the other Turnigy's, just wondering.

By the way, I usually spend weeks coming up with a cover scheme when I build kits. (Other than ARFs) I like being unique. I was having trouble deciding on this kit. I am using old monokote and it seems to wrinkle more than normal, I had to rebuild the engine cowl as it was shattered, and it still has a few lumps, not to mention the canopy is cracked. Then it hit me.
You have heard of “Rat Bikes”. People customize motorcycles to look old and rusted. I’m going to make a “Rat Plane” Keep the wrinkled covering, smashed (but reinforced) cowl and canopy and deck it out with garish decals. I’ll try to remember to post a picture when finished.