Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Kaos

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 01:48 PM
lowlander69
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kaos

It would appear that this design is too outdated to post in the Pattern forum from what I read over there. So I decided to post it here.
Kit built Tower Hobbies Kaos, powered by an OS .70 Surpass, Hitec electronics throughout. Flies straight and true, performs nice "pattern-like" maneuvers, no bad habits, lands easier than a trainer. Here comes the mantra...."the Kaos is a great design, everybody should have one"....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22938.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	183935  
Old 10-18-2004, 02:00 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Kaos

I like the Kaos ... big fan. Great formation flying planes if you want to get dangerously close.

They'll outfly them 4*'s any day.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:26 PM
bhole74

Excellent plane. Mine has a 46fx and it really hauls. Considering getting a tuned pipe as well.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:55 PM
ben flyn

Great looking Kaos! I have had 3 of them (2 40's & 60). They 're one the finest planes I've flown.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:59 PM
BUGGS50
My Feedback: (1)

Nice looking Kaos, I had a older bridi model that I used to fly alot, it was given to me by older modler that didn't fly anymore. I screwed up on a dead stick and didn't get it back to the field and hit a stack of lumber and completely destroyed the wing it's a 60 size airplane, looking for a wing.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:46 PM
sina

I was known as the Kaos man at the field on account of my vintage Bridi .40 kit that I built about ten years ago and then moth balled! Anyway about a year ago I pulled it out and have been flying the heck out of it since. After about a dozen crashes - by the way one of them split the 6" pipe that makes up our pilot fense - it started to pick up bad habits. You know thrust angle got messed up and so on.

So i retired it and bought a Venus ARF. With loads of skeptisizm though - you know being a kit bigot! But must say have grown just as attached to the Venus.

i think everyone must own a kaos at some point in their life to know what it feels like to fly a true pattern ship. The only thing that I can think of is that the Venus with the taller fuse holds those knife edges easier than the Kaos.

Let us know how your kit flys.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:10 PM
lomcevek1

I to have had a few Kaos's, and I loved every one of them. I was really excited to fly the ultra-sport which is a refined version of the kaos very nice flying plane. It was my first one with retracts.

BTW I am now flying a venus and I have to say it is light, strong, and flys very very nice. In fact it has won me two trophies for local pattern contests.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:15 PM
wind junkie

ORIGINAL: sina

i think everyone must own a kaos at some point in their life to know what it feels like to fly a true pattern ship. The only thing that I can think of is that the Venus with the taller fuse holds those knife edges easier than the Kaos.

Let us know how your kit flys.
Words to live by.

I've had three, actually. Still have two, one of which weighs 5.5 lbs with a piped Rossi .60 FIRE.

In my daydreams, I figure out how to make real big ailerons and enlarge the elevator for a 3D capable kaos that will still do out of sight snaps and flat spins. Put a Saito 100 on it, and now I can have it all.... except maybe KE. That was the only missing link in the equation.

I really like my new sledge, but I think I'll always say the kaos is my favorite plane of all time when anyone asks. You never forget your first love ya know.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:59 PM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I just tested my 4th Kaos, a Tower version powered by an Evo .46.

My first one was in 1971, powered by an OS .60 Gold Head. I had 2 others after that. All were the original Bridi kit version with the sub fin, wood beam motor mounts and cheek cowls. Back then you could go to a pattern meet and I think half the planes would be the Kaos. After these 3, I went on to other planes.

Recently, I test flew 2 of the Tower ARFsfor club members. It was like old times. The tail looks the same except it is the Super Kaos configuration without the sub fin. All-in-all, it does capture the Kaos look. Flies good, too. Very nice maneuvers. I just had to have my own so now I have this Kaos in among the 3D planes.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:10 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

I cannot for the life of me understand why someone has not released a .60 sized Kaos in an ARF. As popular as the Kaos is (or was), you would think that it would have been ARF'd a long time ago.
Personally I prefer to build my stuff and I have collected a variety of the Kaos kits over the past several years that I use as as templates when I need to build one. I would really like to see a laser cut kit of Super Kaos get released. Laser cut kits make great templates.
FYI, Some of Joe Bridi's Utter Chaos kits are still available. Joe sold the company after he retired to Blue Jay Models who still operates the business under Bridi's name.
www.bridiairplanes.com
Old 10-19-2004, 06:10 PM
wind junkie

1971 with an OS gold head? Wow, my first Kaos also had the 60 gold head. But I borrowed mine from Dad.

That motor never had a muffler, did it? Mine had the butterfly baffle linkaged to the carburetor. Very loud, and no tank pressure. I ended up putting a Dubro stack with a spring inside, but that was real loud too. Lots of power though, or at least I thought so at the time.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

The Tower KAOS 40 ARF was my first 40 sized bird, after many electrics and 049-.15 glow birds. I did a "visibility" job on it so I could see it better, and it is currently powered with a Tower 46 BB, turning a Master Airscrew 11x6 Scimitar. (A 40 LA with a three blade prop is in the pic.) The performance is excellent, and like everyone says, it lands easier than a trainer. Fun bird. I'll always have at least one.

Name:	Yw68397.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	189019  
Old 11-02-2004, 03:44 AM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Should definately be considered for the R/C hall of fame..
Old 11-13-2004, 05:20 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

that is a nice looking kaos. i also have the tower 60 kit. have over three hundred flights on it with a 61fx. excellent flying plane.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Ed_Moorman

Yeah, you're right, it did have the butterfly exhaust thing. Definitely noisey. 11-7 1/2 Top Flite prop. I also had one of the DuBro "mufflers" on mine. Man, what a combination the Kaos and the OS was.

It would get my vote for the RC airplane hall of fame.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:01 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

I like the Kaos ... big fan. Great formation flying planes if you want to get dangerously close.

They'll outfly them 4*'s any day.
Here's two I fly in formation every time I fly them

Name:	Us52541.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	192691  
Old 11-15-2004, 02:02 AM
Spacey

Hehehehe nice plane Evan. Lotta wheels you got on that thing
Old 11-15-2004, 09:01 AM
evan-RCU

It handles really good!!! Seriously, turns on a dime at high taxi speeds....
Old 11-15-2004, 12:34 PM
wind junkie

I believe that twin taxis great. My first kaos was a trike, the next 2 were taildraggers.

The thing I missed most about the trike was that if I ever landed with too much speed, it was easy to slow down the plane just by cranking the nosewheel over and the plane would skidd or skip to a stop without flipping or digging a wingtip. I never saw such a well behaved trike before or since.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:29 PM
xanaphyst
My Feedback: (17)

I love the Kaos...after the 2 I had were gone I wanted a little bit more style and tried the GP Venus.....the Venus is the most neutral
aircraft I have ever flown. It is great on a 46fx but needs just a little touch more for the knife edge loops. You can not go wrong with
the Kaos or the Venus......the Kaos wins the "easy to own" award with the open engine and trike gear...but the Venus takes home
the performance with effortless knife edge and a few style points also...I love them both..

xanaphyst
Old 11-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Ed_Moorman

Evan, how does the Twin Kaos come apart? Do the outer wing panels plug in?

Can you show us a photo of it disassembled.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:16 PM
evan-RCU

The wings unbolt like regular, except theres two pairs, I then bolt on a support in it's place totake any stress off the stab. I'll take pics the next time I take it out...
Old 12-11-2004, 01:47 AM
fyredog

As a kid I started a great planes Kaos. I still have it unfinished, But I look at it now and wonder what the hell I was thinking as a kid. It has mechanical retracts now, but I plan on ripping those out and refitting it with air. I still have my original OS 61 FSR NIB waiting for it. It is one of my projects soon to get started. I am glad to hear that it is a nice plane to fly. The only thing is my Canopy is shot, so looks like the generic Tower hobbies canopy will have to do. Unless any of you out there have a spare they would like to sell! I like that twin Jobby above, that thing must really scream!
Old 12-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Bridi Kaos is perhaps the best all around sport plane in the air today. JMO It will do anything you want it to do depending on how you build and power it. Mine, the white one, is mostly powered with an MDS 68 and it is just about the perfect match. This sumer I installed my YS 110 to break in the new engine, I couldn't beleave that the plane would fly even better. I need the 68 in something else now so I am installing the 110 back into it again just for grins. For A fun time try to find the old 120 size, with the G-26 or RCS 1.40 installed it is A real kick.

Name:	Li21290.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	201824  
Old 12-11-2004, 08:55 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The Kaos is a super great flying aircraft, but in my opinion not as good as the Qwik Fli taper wing from the same era. Prefer the look of the original and correct tri gear over the less authentic tail dragger look. The original thick Kaos airfoil got lost with the Tower kits and ARFs

Moderator: This thread should be moved to the pattern section so people can find it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.