Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Sport Flyer Frustrated

Old 03-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Redback

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sport Flyer Frustrated

Bright sunny Sunday morning, batteries alll charged so pack the Sig SE and Magic Extra into the car. Load the flight box and don't forget the wing tube for the SE.

Drive the 30 odd miles to the flying field, and as I park the car remember I have left both transmitters back at home!!! Consider driving back to get them but figure the wind is going to pick up in the next hour anyway (it doesn't of course).

To make matters worse I missed flying the week before as I was shifting some stuff back home from Sydney. And of course, no one was on either of my frequencies for the couple of hours I spent at the club before heading home. Upside was that on the afternoon I mowed the runway I have on my property and got a couple of flights in on Monday.

Terry
Old 03-28-2005, 09:37 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Sport Flyer Frustrated

Redback,
I've left my transmitter at home too. so I know how you feel!!
Old 03-28-2005, 09:52 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Me too, but my field is only 10 minutes from home, so it's not too painful.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:32 AM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LOL, Been there done that. I always get into too big of a hurry/rush, seems like I can't get out to the field fast enough, so I'm bound to forget something really important I need. Lucky for me I live in Rural Montana, the field is 5 min away, with no traffic. I feel your pain.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:59 AM
Redback

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks all for your sympathy.

I am going to try and remember to put together a checklist for next time

In fact I've written myself a reminder to do the checklist!

Terry
Old 03-29-2005, 06:20 AM
piper_chuck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Redback

Thanks all for your sympathy.

I am going to try and remember to put together a checklist for next time

In fact I've written myself a reminder to do the checklist!
Checklist? Did someone say checklist? Take a look at this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2546437
Old 03-29-2005, 06:56 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you can leave it home, I've done it.

But my brother did a worse one... H eleft his Tx at the field -overnight --- in the rain!

To make matters worse, he did the thing that I always tell people NOT to do - he flew all of his planes on ONE transmitter. Now that Tx was in the shop and he didn't fly for about a month.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:55 AM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To make matters worse, he did the thing that I always tell people NOT to do - he flew all of his planes on ONE transmitter. Now that Tx was in the shop and he didn't fly for about a month.

I have only one TX with 6 planes on it, I can't afford to get another one at the moment[&o]
Joe
Old 03-29-2005, 12:08 PM
piper_chuck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Next time you buy a flight pack (note I did not say if?), just get a basic 4 channel setup. Then you'll have a transmitter that should be able to fly at least one of your planes. Sure, you may have to do some adjustments since you won't have conveniences such as EPA, dual rates, etc, but you won't be stuck not flying for a month.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:40 PM
britbrat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

Next time you buy a flight pack (note I did not say if?), just get a basic 4 channel setup. Then you'll have a transmitter that should be able to fly at least one of your planes. Sure, you may have to do some adjustments since you won't have conveniences such as EPA, dual rates, etc, but you won't be stuck not flying for a month.

That is one of the reasons that a beginner should not get bent out of shape about what radio to buy. The basic 4-channel remains usefull (& in use) essentially forever, despite a locker full of computer radios. I have nine particular planes on one computer radio & evey one of them can be flown with a basic 4-channel, if necessary
Old 03-29-2005, 05:20 PM
Redback

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My second Tx is a JR2610 (6210 in the US?) that I bought recently to accompany my trusty 388S.

Not a lot more $$$ than a basic 4 channel unit but soooo much more useful.

Ten model memories, dual rates, expo, all the mixing I need. All I need now is to remember to take it to the field[&o]

The old four channel Tx is gonna gather dust from now on in!!

Terry
Old 03-29-2005, 08:08 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Piper_chuck always seems to sum it all up. And I couldn't agree more. I've seen guys at our field that have a bunch of planes sidelined when their transmitter dies. Because of that I have 3 computer radios (2 planes on each) and 5 basic 6-channel Airtronics transmitter (only one had a plane on it right now) and 4 buddy boxes (1 Airtronics, 2 futaba, and 1 JR). Not sure how I wound up will all the transmitter, but that happens after a few swap meets. I always seem to come home with another radio when I go to swap meets.

Last season I wound up having to send in 2 transmitters and 1 receiver for service and never had any down time. Just moved the planes to another transmitter. All of my planes can be flown on a basic 4 channel setup.

I think everybody should have more than one radio. And with the cost of a flight pack I think it's silly to not go ahead and buy the entire radio setup. If nothing else you can use it as a buddy box.

That's my .02 cents worth
Old 03-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have all my airplanes set up on a single 9C TX. I have other TXs, but with the way I set up most of my airplanes (e.g. dual aileron servos on separate channels, on-board glow driver, ignition kills, quad-flap, etc.) the basic 4ch TX I use as trainer box has no chance of flying them. Maybe I have more faith in electronics, but even if my TX does go down - BIG DEAL! It ain't the end of the world. Perfectly good excuse to spend a bit more time in the workshop or with the family.

I actually do have another 9C, but it was bought not as a backup but simply because Tower had a clearance deal late last year I just couldn't pass up. I'm still trying to figure out what da heck I needed a brand new 9C for. In all my years of flying RC, I've yet to have a TX fail on me. I don't bother trying to insure against what I consider is a exceedingly rare occurance. Heck, if it does actually fail, I can order for a replacement to be at my door in 3 days. If I can't live without RC flying for 3days, I need to go see a shrink.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:53 PM
Bayou Talker
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The weather report for last Saturday was for rain and thunderstorms starting by noon so I didn't make any plans to go flying. I fly airplanes at one field and helis at another. The airplane field is about 60 miles form my house and the heli field is about 80 miles. The reason I fly at these fields is that they are the closest ones to where I live.

We had a heli club meeting Saturday night so we left late morning and didn't bring anything to fly as the weather was going to be bad. After driving the 80 miles, anyone want to guess what the weather was????? YUP....best flying day so far this year..ALL DAY LONG! So I went to the field and watched everyone else fly all afternoon.

I guess the moral of the story is load it all up and bring it EVERY time and hope for good weather.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:36 PM
Redback

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Forecast for this weekend is fine and sunny. Wife is away in NZ visting her folks so no impediment to flying.

Sitting here at work after a somewhat alcoholic lunch to farewell a guy who is leaving and wondering what to forget this weekend!

Trannies seem a bit old hat (been there, done that) so contemplating the alternatives:-

Take biplane and forget the struts
Sig SE, forget the wing tube
Any plane, forget the wing bolts

or maybe forget nothing and have a great weekends flying.

Hope I manage the latter and you too!

Terry

Old 04-01-2005, 06:57 AM
Kaos Rulz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Best of luck to ya this weekend Terry.

I too am looking forward to flying this weekend, however; Sat will be 25-30 mph, so hopefully Sun.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:47 PM
escipion

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Redback:
Don't worry, a friend of mine forgot the wings back home, and he was an hour of distance, that things happend in the hobby
Old 04-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Redback

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Managed a couple of good weekends of flying since without forgetting anything vital!

Terry