Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Any cool gadgets?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Any cool gadgets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any cool gadgets?

Anyone do any cool things with your planes? For me I do a bomb drop and will be doing a confetti popper soon
Old 04-02-2005, 11:33 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any cool gadgets?

Bomb drop & toilet-roll drop. The toilet roll is "attacked" by a hoard of waiting aggressors
Old 04-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

I would somehow figure out the toilet roll, but it would be too hard to pick up and i would need an extra channel. Can't wait to start biulding my Mustang
Old 04-04-2005, 09:54 AM
dbruening80
My Feedback: (1)

I rigged up a LED navigation light system for a slow stick for some night-time sorties, cost was around 15 bucks for the set up and weighed 2-3 grams at most.

Instructions are here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=DIY
Old 04-04-2005, 12:28 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without sounding like a barbarian -- you don't usually have to pick up the toilet paper -- it is very biodegradable & it quickly dissolves in the rain. I guess if you are flying within a town or city, it would be necessary to pick it up.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Bayou Talker

Just make sure to get the biodegradable kind from the camper supply places. It will melt away with the first rain.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Gadgets, huh... well, a while back I experimented with a bunch of different RC electronic gadgets, from on board glow drivers to servo reversers. About the only ones I really liked and had some good use for are Onboard Glow Driver and Clonepac (functionally equivalent of Futaba's CAMpac memory modules). I made a whole bunch of the onboard glow drivers and put them on just about every glow airplane I could, even some that aren't cowled and so don't really need them. But it is just so nice to walk up to the airplane, flip a switch on the TX to turn on glow driver, and start the engine. The OBG driver lets the engine idle super low, too.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:36 PM
RC_Fanatic

Volfy,

Where did you get the design (or kit?) for the onboard glow driver? To me it means one less hole in the cowl, one less thing to carry, and a lower (safe) idle!
Old 04-26-2005, 09:58 PM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

I made an R/C duck out of a duck decoy. Tower had a futaba radio and speed control on sale, I took the duck, cut a hatch in it's back. Then I cut it's head off, filled the neck on both sides with wood epoxy from Lowes. drilled a hole in it's neck , head side and body side, and set a rod in as a pivot. linked the neck up to a rudder I installed. put in an old graupner motor in it with a prop on the driveshaft. Filled its guts with spray expando foam to dampen the noise. Now I tool atound the in-laws channel outside by their house, it attracts the real ones rather well LOL
Old 04-28-2005, 08:48 PM
mike50

ORIGINAL: RC_Fanatic

Volfy,

Where did you get the design (or kit?) for the onboard glow driver? To me it means one less hole in the cowl, one less thing to carry, and a lower (safe) idle!
Here is a construction article for a nice onboard glow driver. He used to sell kits, but not any more. I just built one of these and it works great.

http://www.cliftech.com/pdf/OptogloII.pdf

Mike
Old 04-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Forgot about this thread... mine is loosely based on Cliff's deisgn. I made several modifications to it to make it more to my liking. Cliff didn't account for 5-cell RX packs. Since I use nothing but 6V packs, I made mine work with either 4.8V or 6V. I tried the wires soldered directly onto the PCB as Cliff did, but I found it very awkward to work with. I modified my latest version of PCB to use mini Phoenix screw terminal blocks instead.

I will try to remember to take a few pics this weekend and post them here.