Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Any other hobbies than RC sport flying?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Any other hobbies than RC sport flying?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 02:05 AM
Test005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any other hobbies than RC sport flying?

What other hobbies do you guys enjoy?

I share my time something like this: (Appart from girlfriend, friends and work)
Summer: Boating and fishing, RC flying
Winter: Building RC planes, tweakig my home cinema system and enjoying lots of DVD's.

ps. Those of you who live in warmer climates maybe don't need to put a "season label" on your hobbies.
I live in Scandinavia and we have long, dark winter and short light summer, therefore people usually have quite 'specialized' hobbies that fit each season.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:25 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Any other hobbies than RC sport flying?

We can fly almost year round here. We get some days in the winter that are too cold, but also plenty that are warm enough. However, I do build more in the winter. When I'm not flying, my time is devoted to my daughter, wife, exercise (running, cycling, or lifting weights), motorcycling, and taking care of my yard.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:08 AM
WCB

Spending time with my wife (1961 model good old country gal), motorcycling (2002 Roadstar) and playing guitar (1988 model Martin D-28 Herringbone) and of course flying. If I can talk my wife into driving my truck carrying planes and guitar to the field while I follow on my motorcycle I can get everything in one sitting.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:31 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was not aware of the fact that there are other hobbie's. I must be really missing out. If I am not spending time with my wife and son, I am building or flying. Good Luck, Dave
Old 05-04-2005, 09:11 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mostly Golf and Fishing in the summer, winter is spent doing community theater. I am on the Board of directors at two local theaters, and nowadays I do more directing than acting, although I still can't resist a nice juicy part now and then.

I have also written a 3 act comedy that has been produced by two theaters so far, and a third will be doing it next year at this time - and there are still a few more theaters that are considering it. I'll never get rich from it, but it's nice to see your work being enjoyed by others (And thos little royalty checks are better than a stick in the eye )
Old 05-04-2005, 09:19 AM
BuzzBomber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, it's funny. I had other hobbies when I came back into R/C, but I've been neglecting them the past few years, since R/C seems to suck up all my free time like a sponge. I can't remember the last time I played any of my three guitars, went kayaking or fishing, or took the cameras out to do some photography. I haven't ridden my motorcycle more than 20 miles since November.....what's this you say about other hobbies? Seriously, I need to start changing things up before I burn out on flying. Anybody else have this "problem"?
Old 05-04-2005, 10:16 AM
britbrat

Golf (summer) & Curling (winter)
Old 05-04-2005, 10:30 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Since you asked specifically about sport flying, my "other" hobbies include competition in scale, funfly, combat, heli and pylon racing.

As for non-rc, I spend a lot of time with my kids, play guitar, sail, swim, read and attend concerts, the latest being Steve Vai[8D]
Old 05-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

I'm an RCaholic - have left the hobby several times, always come back. Other hobbies/interests:
1) Motorcycling - wife and I bought Harleys last August, REALLY cuts into flying time (and budget!)
2) Varmint hunting - ground squirrels and coyotes. Have 3 .22-250s and reloading setup.
3) Welding - gates, trailers, etc. This hobby is slowly evolving into a second business.

Fortunately, my wife and kids enjoy and are involved in my other interests. My 3-yr-old grandson loves hanging out with Grandpa whenever we're building anything. He's still a bit young for the Harleys or shooting, but it won't be long......
Old 05-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Kaos Rulz

I build during our short winter. I build one model each year. (kit, or scratch)
I used to skydive, but now I've taken up tennis playing 3 - 4 times /week. Keeps me in shape for those long plane retrievals. [:@]
Old 05-04-2005, 11:43 AM
donkey doctor

Hello; I like motorcycling (77 BMW R100/7), and have some guitars (6 al together) and enjoy playing. I used to windsurf, and still have 8 boards, but I had an industrial accident that weakened my rt. shoulder, and I can't do that anymore. Now that summer is coming, Ispend more time getting the yard into shape. One or another of my sons keep coming over with broken down cars to fix.

With all these activities, it's a wonder that I have time to go flying.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:45 PM
britbrat

ORIGINAL: Jim_McIntyre

Since you asked specifically about sport flying, my "other" hobbies include competition in scale, funfly, combat, heli and pylon racing.

As for non-rc, I spend a lot of time with my kids, play guitar, sail, swim, read and attend concerts, the latest being Steve Vai[8D]

Hmmm, I guess it pays to read all of the words.

I also like warbirds, pattern, 3D (not particularly great at it) & float/seaplane flying (off water & land -- wet grass works quite well, as does snow)
Old 05-05-2005, 04:54 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that you mentioned it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47553.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	267143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85337.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	267144  
Old 05-05-2005, 05:45 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My main activity is Rc, flying in the warm months, building year round. I do enjoy NASCAR and Formula One racing. I also enjoy working in my yard. Like RC, it gets me outside.

This is a pic of my FW 190, with some of my landscaping in the background.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95490.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	267148  
Old 05-05-2005, 09:06 AM
hookedonrc

Well, if you had asked this question a couple of months ago, I would have said: What other hobbies are there?, but that has changed a little for me since then. My wife and I had the opportunity to go sailing with her sister and brother inlaw. We lived on the boat for 5 days and simply had a blast. Now we are planning taking sailing lessons this summer to get our certification, and I have started looking for a small sailboat. Only time will tell how much I will spend on either of the two. Although, I could do both...on windy days I go sailing...and on calm days I fly...yeah..that's it...I think I found out how to use up all of my spare time... Wait!...no that's just not right, I already spend all of my spare time in this hobby...hmm decisions, decisions[sm=rolleyes.gif]
Old 05-05-2005, 11:49 AM
kiswa

Let's see... I spend time with my wife, I read a lot, and I make websites! Check out my latest one http://eam.kiswa.com I made it for my RC club, Eglin Aero Modellers (yeah, we know it's misspelled it's that way in the original incorporation papers from the 60's so it's stuck).

EDIT: By the way, if anyone's club needs a totally database-driven, membership-based, dynamically updated website... I will work for planes.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Pilot Chad

I wakeboard, and ride my bike. And all the other normal things teenagers do exluding drugs
Old 05-05-2005, 03:59 PM
tucker1865
My Feedback: (6)

Hello...I have more hobbies than time...had to retire, no time for working. My wife and I go to the gym 5 days a week, I'm not crazy about it but i'm interested in my wife being in shape so I go with her. I also build highly detailed plastic kits, auto and air, paint military minatures, and build a ship model every couple of years. I'm a retired woodworker and shop teacher so I do a little woodworking. My shop is extensive which helps in building R/C planes. Play golf once or twice a week. Oh yea, spend entirely too much time on R/C Universe.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:55 PM
laker500
My Feedback: (2)

Hello,
You guys arent fooling me, "spend time with your wives"!!! I just wish I had more time to do any of the things you all are talking about. I'm self employed and it takes up almost all of your time. I enjoy time with my family but it sure seems like its to long between those outings. In fact we are going camping this weekend and I'm going to work Saturday just because we are close to the current job site. At least the wife and kids enjoy going to the field and watching me fly. When the kids (ages 2 and 4) are a little older hopefully they will want to learn to fly so we can all do it together. Its our first year with a camper, we are hopeing to do that at least once a month during the season. I'll just have to do it farther away from the jobsites!!!! Take care, Jeff
Old 05-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Pilot Chad

once a month? At least twice. We have a boat and in the summer we will go at least once a week. I am a competion wakeboarder though.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:57 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

OK to keep this R/c related I am happiest when I have a scale plane on the table and have been in this hobby since 1954.
free lance photographer with a complete color darkroom back in the 70's, divorce ended that for me.
Astronomy but live in the city now, oh well!
Music, love music and play the steel guitar and banjo and am learning the keyboard. Arthritis in the hands keeps me from the banjo but use to love to sit on the front porch with my long neck and play bluegrass.
I like to draw profiles of planes but haven't done that for a long time.
Love to read non-fiction especially ancient history, WW-II, Holocaust and anything to do with ancient political ideologies.
Avid sky diver, (thanks Army) but now am unable to due to a disability, even made some jumps with the army golden Knights, high point of my jumping days.
Now the #1 ranking most favorite hobby and thing to do, well that would be my Wife and family!!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 01:17 PM
dicknadine

Man, you brought back old memories. My dad used to belong to the the Detroit, Michigan Curling Club, that is way back in the early 1940's. he taught me how use the broom. it was fun after model airplanes. we don't have such things in the Deep South Mississippi. its all model airplanes, 24 hrs a day. at 80+ years young, what else. dick
Old 05-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Yes CNC machining, check out my site on that subject- http://www.cnczone.com. I also like to build laser machines and design things using cad.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:03 PM
britbrat

We have several curlers in their 80's -- sly & wily critters on the ice!!
Old 05-06-2005, 05:34 PM
hookedonrc

Boy..that brings back memories. Not of actually participating, but watching. We lived in Detroit for about a year, and on Sunday afternoons when the weather was rotten. (Which was most of the time.) I would sit down with the paper and crossword puzzle and watch the curling matches on CBN (?). (yes- when there wasn't football on.) I have to laugh cause the way I watched was by doing the crossword puzzle...hearing the players release the rock...watch the result and then back to my crossword. You can kill a lot of time doing it that way. I always remember watching one team called St. Mary's....can't remember a single other though

ORIGINAL: dicknadine

Man, you brought back old memories. My dad used to belong to the the Detroit, Michigan Curling Club, that is way back in the early 1940's. he taught me how use the broom. it was fun after model airplanes. we don't have such things in the Deep South Mississippi. its all model airplanes, 24 hrs a day. at 80+ years young, what else. dick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.