Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Flight Characteristics: 4*, US40, Super Sportster, Rapture 40?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Flight Characteristics: 4*, US40, Super Sportster, Rapture 40?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 08:56 PM
ricknkim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flight Characteristics: 4*, US40, Super Sportster, Rapture 40?

Looking to build another plane for the hangar. Due to the trunk size on my car, I am really limited to 55 inch wingspan or so. I have narrowed my search down to the 4* 40, Ultra Sport 40 (original or Plus), Super Sportster 40 and the Rapture 40. All are around $100 at tower. What are the differences in their flight characteristics?? Any bad habits that some have that others do not? Just looking to make the best purchase for a fun all around sport plane (already have and fly a Sig Somethin Extra that is a rocket). I can do basic aerobatics and am looking for a plane to bridge me to the Super Skybolt kit that is under my bed at this time...Thanks in advance.

Rick
Old 05-18-2005, 10:19 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Flight Characteristics: 4*, US40, Super Sportster, Rapture 40?

If you're looking for a bridge to the Skybolt, and you're proficient with the SE, no doubt about it, go with the UltraSport (Either one)
Old 05-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

I respectfully disagree - I'd go with the Super Sportster. It builds like the Skybolt and, more importantly, more closely resembles the Skybolt's flight characteristics. It has more drag than the US, and if you add about a pound of ballast under the wing....
Old 05-18-2005, 11:08 PM
redfox435cat

You can always do a 1/4 scale Balsa USA j-3 cub. The wings come off in two 40"peices

just a thought. I'm ready to take it on in a few months after I finish my Sea Fury
Old 05-19-2005, 11:22 AM
ricknkim

I am pretty proficient with the Somethin Extra...takeoffs and landings are pretty routine, can do basic aerobatics with it like stall turns, spins, cuban 8s, loops, snap rolls, inverted flight. Have been practicing my lomechevaks on the simulator and will try that out next time I'm at the field. Really am looking for a more relaxing type plane that I can do aerobatics with if I want or can slow it down to just putt putt around. I also have a CG Super Chipmunk that is 99.9% ready to fly, haven't maidened it yet but the wingspan makes it tough to take out after work, I really want a plane that will fit in my trunk so I can get a couple flights in after work.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:26 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Ultra Stick 40 with a Saito 56. I like it extremely well. It will do most anything but knife edge flight.

But it can be a easy going plane also.

I also have a Four Star 60 with a OS 91 Surpass four stroke engine. It's a very relaxing plane also. Just love it.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 05-20-2005, 09:06 AM
johnboyrc

I've been flying the super sporster arf for a few years. Great plane for sport flying, with an os 52fs. During the winter, I put skis on and fly off the lakes. It slows down fairly well, and controls are pretty good. Thought about making elevators a little longer, but it flys fine the way it is. With the kit, your firewall will be a little stronger, so you could put a four stroke 70 on it, but will add a little more weight. At the end of the day, the plane fits in the backseat of my car, with room left over for another bigger plane.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:48 PM
AHPowelson
My Feedback: (37)

The Somethin' Extra will slow down to a very stable crawl if that's what you're looking for. I have mine setup for more aerobatic and psuedo 3D type flying (rearward CG, APC 12.25x3.75 prop) and it will putt around slower than a trainer with no problem. The Super Sportster has a painfully slow roll rate and more of a tendency to snap with too much elevator. The ONLY thing it will do over the SE is knife edge. I've been really unimpressed with my SS and it rarely sees the air these days... My vote would be for the Ultra Sport.