Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Best sport plane ever?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Best sport plane ever?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 03:03 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best sport plane ever?

ORIGINAL: jrbmoto

The Cloud Dance is a beautiful airplane!.....If I could have only one airplane, it would be a Sportster! [sm=eek.gif]

-Johnny-
Dare to compare, jrbmoto! I'll make a deal with you - buy a Cloud Dancer (.40 or .60) and fly it. If you don't like it at least as well as your Super Sportster, I'll buy you a 24oz. Coke or Pepsi, whichever one you prefer.

A superior flying experience? Almost certainly. If not, then bubbly cola goodness just in time for summer flying. Either way, you can't lose! [X(]
Old 06-22-2007, 03:53 PM
jrbmoto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big Ed,
Actually I did fly a Cloud Dancer years ago and realy loved it! As I said, its a beautiful airplane and I can see why it got your vote. Certianly there are lots of planes out there that fly better than a Sportster, there are planes out there that fly better than a Cloud Dancer. I choose the Sportster because of its simple beauty, (not homely) rugged construction, great high and low speed performance, and longevity. GP sold millions of them and still make them today. If I find another Cloud Dancer kit at a resonable price, I will certianly add it to my stack of kits. Bottom line is that this is just my opinion vs your opinion. Lets not put down other people's opinions...No need to buy me a Coke but thank you for the offer!

-Johnny-
Old 06-22-2007, 04:04 PM
bigedmustafa

Hehe, fair enough. I actually like the Super Sportster a lot as well, I think it is one of the great classic airframes.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:51 PM
[email protected]

Super hots or the more modern 3d hot hots awesome plane gonna get one soon, it beats the crap out of my ultra stick ,but ya gotta love the ultra stick too.Dang theres too many to choose from.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:36 AM
kryptonite

I gotta vote for the UltraStick 60 set up with quad flaps. I've flown lots of sports planes and the US is the one with the widest speed envelope. It can dive at 90 mph and slow to a 3 mph crawl and not tip stall with crow on. You can do silly things on it that spells instant crash on most other planes.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:06 AM
rorywquin

Acrowot from Chriss Foss.
I bought one when I first moved here and will always try to have on as part of my fleet.
I have owned both the Acrowot and the Extrawot (big brother of the Acrowot and they are both super aircraft.
Unfortunately it is a kit (not cheap either) and is also not readily available in the USA but he has sold 1000's in the UK!

http://www.chrisfoss.co.uk/
Old 07-07-2007, 11:58 PM
sigflyer
My Feedback: (5)

I have to say the SIG Astrohog is one of the best around.
Also the:
Ultra Sport 60
4 star 60
Super Sportster 60
RCM trainer 60
Anything SIG kits!!!!
Old 07-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

....this baby will fly circles around almost any other plane....

FBD.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11081.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	718103  
Old 07-16-2007, 09:32 PM
hungryandbroke

I'll bet it won't fly circles around ole Clancy here.....

Name:	Lj23294.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	724334  
Old 07-17-2007, 04:48 PM
bigchap

has to be the chris foss wot 4
Old 07-17-2007, 07:47 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any size Super Sportster 40, 60, 90/120, and Giant. They all fly great!

Then it pretty much goes without saying that just about any Joe Bridi Plane would qualify here. I have a 40 size Bridi Vagabond(Kaos with a turtledeck) that was an absolute joy to build from kit, and is equaly fun to fly. I tend to fly my Vagabond unlike I fly anything else, because a Bridi Plane flys so well that it gives the average pilot lots of confidence to try things you would not normally try.

For a Sport Bi-Wing, my vote would be the Sig Hog Bipe. The Hog Bipe is quite possible the coolest looking bipe there is, even with those cheeks instead of a cowl and those bacon and eggs decals. The Hog Bipe is such a cool plane with that old classic look that flys beautifully!
Old 08-04-2007, 04:26 PM
1156david

Does anyone know where you can buy a Koas 60 or Super Koas 60
Old 08-04-2007, 04:34 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

[link]http://www.bridiairplanes.com[/link]

Ken
Old 08-16-2007, 09:00 PM
mobileraptor
My Feedback: (1)

This is a very hard subject, and it has a lot to do with when you joined the hobby. It also has a lot to do with what type of flying you like to do and how much money you can put into a plane So, maybe lets break it down into categories.

General sport plane, good flying good landing, not to fast, general aerobatics.
In this cat. I would put 4 Stars, Tigers, Sportsters, Astro Hogs and Cloud Dancers. General all around fun planes. My pick, Tiger 60 with retracts.

General sport plane (fast, Pattern want to be.), Good flying good landing, Better aerobatics. Cobra's, Kougers, Koas and Birdi . My pick 40 size Kouger with a Webra speed 50 or a K&B Scremin 48. The Kouger will make you learn to build, there is no arf's and it's a box of blocks.

Bi-planes, They deserve there own cat. But there are really only two choices, The Ultimate with a YS-110 or 120 or the Aeromaster, With the same motors. I have had both, Ultimate with old YS-120 NC and an Aeromaster with an MVVS 77. The MVVS did sound good in the air. I loved both, toss up. Barn stormer verse modern aerobatic.

The Sticks, Everyone has to keep at least one in the hanger. Probably the best no worries plane you ever had, if you put it in just get/build another one.

Finally, the need for speed. Lite and over powered! or odd.
In this cat. Sig Wonders, Shrikes, and Delta's of all types. My personal favorite Shrike 40 with retract or no gear at all and a YS-60 long stroke, Got to love a bullet. Yes, I kit bashed the he!! out of it.

Now then, of course I'm partial. Everyone one of my choices, I've owned. Also everyone I built from a kit or from a plane someone else crashed. If I had to pick one I couldn't because my mood changes. One week I want to go fast, next weekend, take it easy, next weekend show off.

How many modelers do you know that have been in the hobby for over a year that only have one plane! so whats the magic number? I think it is five, guess how many categories I have and I like to keep on plane in each.

Then of course there's ARF's, Lets start all over. can't comment on these, I love to build.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:20 AM
ECSAILOR
My Feedback: (51)

Hi, Just wondering what engine would give the best performance for my 40 Koas? Any ideas guys? Thanks
Old 07-27-2009, 11:19 AM
tIANci

I love my GP Big Stick she is so so nice to relax with ... the GP Super Sportster is a great plane to fly (no pun intended) ... the Clancy Bee is nice but that is for a truly lazy afternoon, I still love mine. For me speed is best with the GP Viper, not too fast and not too slow but easy to handle. All she needs is a TT46 and off she goes!

ECSailor ... how much power do you want?
Old 07-30-2009, 09:34 PM
jaof

Hi

There were and still a lot of great sport planes out there.
My favourites though are Lou Andrews Sportmaster 60 size which I stll have after over 20 years, Bridi's Kaos and Goldberg Tiger 60.

Take care and have fun

Frank
Old 07-30-2009, 11:15 PM
JWQ500RC

Sig Kougar. I will always have one in my stable of planes.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:04 AM
ECD
My Feedback: (1)

Try the Hanger 9 Tango It's a blast
Old 12-13-2009, 10:03 AM
jakester007

Got to be the goldberg ultimate 10-300....................
Old 12-19-2009, 11:06 AM
clpahodges
My Feedback: (3)

For me, it has to be the Sig Kavalier with half of the dihedral removed. It is just plain fun to fly.

Bill Hodges
Old 12-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Bundubasher

A difficult one, probably in the 40 - 46 class, Chris Foss's Acrowots (excellent), Hangar 9 Pulse, going back 70's the Falcon, probably the all time tested favourite is the 60 Das Ugly Stik.
I'm rather enjoying all of them, rather to single one out - hey, enjoy the bunch - why not? [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 12-19-2009, 04:57 PM
AA5BY

Very quickly let me say that my comments are limited to planes I've built and flown. Regarding the Sig Kougar it was a good flier and no one can take anything away from a plane that was around so long and still is revered by many but it certainly wasn't my best sport airplane. That honor goes to a far less known plane, Ed Keck's Southern RC Alley Cat.

I don't know how the Alley Cat would compare with the Super Sportster as I've never flown a Sportster to make a comparison. The Sportster from my general visual observations flies very well and is certainly faster and probably suffers less drag than the Alley Cat. The Alley Cat if memory serves me correct had a thicker wing with one of the most pronounced characteristics a perfect flat spin. The Alley Cat is my only built that didn't require a click of trim or any balance changes.

It is ironic that of a great quantity of pictures of planes over the years, only one very poor picture exist showing very little of the Alley Cat. On the back of this pic is 'Fun Fly, Summer of 1976'.

Whether the best flying sport plane or not, I can only say it was my best flying sport plane.

Name:	Xv64862.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1337819  
Old 12-19-2009, 06:18 PM
AA5BY

The picture caused memories to flash during my sat eve bath... here is an interesting story.

One of the events at the fun fly was the infamous spin contest. The guy to beat had installed a hot .60 on a Midwest Sweet Stick and he could get lots of altitude and the thing cranked out some pretty good spins that had to be counted fast.... 27... 28... 29. Tough to beat. The Alley Cat was powered by an Enya .40, the first *****e ported engine Enya produced if I recall climbed for altitude but of course couldn't compare to that obtained by the hot .60 nevertheless the Alley Cat was a flat spinning dude and much slower to count... 26................. 27................. 28................ 29............... 30................ 31................ 32 and it was on the ground having spun itself fully in.

The discussion began whether the flight was countable with an argument made that it was expected that the plane had to land and not crash. To that, I asked, "Who crashed?" The Alley Cat had spun so flat that she plumped down on her landing gear and though killing the engine didn't even break the prop and props were wood in those days.