Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

U-Can-Do .46

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

U-Can-Do .46

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 02:54 PM
stuka
My Feedback: (62)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default U-Can-Do .46

Has anybody had a structual failure of the horizontal stab?Today we had the right stab break off at the fuse and do quite a bit of damage on the landing.Plane has roughly 4 flights on it without any major aerobatics.My son is using this as his second airplane.Does anyone think Tower Hobbies will do anything for us.Thanks
Old 06-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Jonesy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: U-Can-Do .46

This happened to mine but mine was caused from flying too fast with this aircraft. The stab will flutter really badly and snap off. The solution is don't fly fast.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Liberator

I would have to bet that speed was the issue. Is it frail? yeah kinda, but consider what the plane is designed for. I have wires on my tail section and I still fly it at about 1/2 throttle or less.
In fact the only time it sees full throttle is if I am bailing out of a hover and giving it a kick to do a no altitude loss recovery. Even then 3/4 is enough.
What motor are you running?

Old 06-27-2005, 12:11 PM
mwright
My Feedback: (5)

How was the covering cut off of the stab before it was glued?
Old 06-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Liberator

Nice, that was the next question
Old 06-27-2005, 04:22 PM
stuka

We are using a Tower .46 and the covering was cut off using a low watt soldering iron.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:28 PM
mwright
My Feedback: (5)

So if you were not going too fast and the wood grain was not damaged then I see three other posibilities:

1) Weak push rod/horn/hindge system (do you see a lot of flex in the remaining setup?)
2) Weak servo (type and voltage?)
3) Weak wood (can't hurt to ask Tower for help)

I used some airfoiled aluminium tubing on my UCD46's tail becaused I heard about this potential problem. I'm running a Saito 100 with a 16x4w APC. Does pretty good 3D. A fellow club member can really ring it out. Plane has so much power it scares me!!
Old 06-27-2005, 07:49 PM
stuka

I am going for the third option.I cut the rest of the stab out and it seems to be very light weight balsa.I called Tower and because there has been more than 3 months lapse they will not do anything.The plane was bought in September and not flown till December.With everything we are involved in(youth sports,paintball,etc.) we just did not fly it very much.It is too bad they will not step up to the plate for a 9 year old.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:08 PM
johnc1go
My Feedback: (9)

I have a UCanDo46 with a GMS .76 for power. My stab came loose early on and I was lucky enough to catch it post-flight before it could come off on the next flight. My fix was to epoxy triangle stock at all four corners where the stab meets the fuselage. I beveled the ends of the triangle stock for aesthetics before gluing them on. After that, I sealed the triangles with thinned epoxy and painted them with white fuel proof paint. Joint seems to be holding up well.