Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Sig Hog Tracking Problem

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Sig Hog Tracking Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 10:53 AM
fred123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Hog Tracking Problem

I need some advice from you hog flyers. I have been flying my hog for several weeks now and am having more and more trouble on take off.. Plane darts from side to side as power is applied. Plane flies great once it gets off the ground. I also fly a four star and a SE and don’t have any trouble with them.. They all track straight as an arrow.. Is this normal for the hog? Any suggestions on what might be the cause. Since I fly off grass, I moved the gear ½” forward from plans as advised in several posts. Engine is a TT 91 FS. Fred123
Old 06-28-2005, 12:00 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Sig Hog Tracking Problem

I'm only guessing but it seems this would be caused by a slightly twisted gear causing one wheel to be toed in or out. The other thing that pops into my head is a possible loose gear block in the wing letting the gear wobble. My Astro Hog, on the 3rd or 4th flight, ran out of fuel. It was very windy and it landed short of the runway in tall grass/weeds. The landing didn't look very rough but it knocked the gear block loose in one wing. I had the kit built; maybe the builder didn't get it glued in properly. I'm doing surgery on the wing to be sure no ribs are destroyed. I don't want to repair the wing just to have this happen again, possibly doing even more damage; so I'm installing a fiberglass gear on the fuselage in front of the wings.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:14 AM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A loose gear block is a good explianation, or your toe-in/tow-out could have changed with a hard landing. Another thing to look at might be a loose tail wheel (i.e. bracket). Or just a rudder servo going bad when its put under the pressure.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:29 PM
escipion

Hello!!!!
I have one question, how is the configuration of your wheels?, are you using the normal tricycle configuration with one in the fire wall and the others in the wings?, or it is tail geared?
I have my Hog tail geared and I had the same problem, corrected it pointing both wing wheels a little to the center.

Have a great day
Escipion
Old 06-30-2005, 02:08 PM
fred123

The Sig Hog Bipe. is a taildragger as per the plans, except that the main gear has been moved 1/2 in forward because I fly off grass...Fred S.[&:]
Old 06-30-2005, 02:45 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fred, also should indicate that the gear is not on the wings. It is located in the fuse center. Wish I had some input, but as you know, I am still finishing mine up. Almost 100 degrees today...no building for me...my shop is in the garage
Old 06-30-2005, 09:47 PM
carrellh

The initial post just said Sig Hog so I assumed Astro Hog rather than Hog Bipe since I have an Astro Hog. The poster who asked about trike gear probably had the same impression I did.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:38 AM
escipion

Hello!!!!
Sorry didn’t know it is the hog bipe, but the best way to correct the problem, by my experience, is the same, point both front wheels a little to the center, that’s both wheels a little toed in (a couple of degrees each will be just fine), you have to be sure that you have not a front wheel blocked and/or they couldn’t change direction easily.

Have a great day
Escipion
Old 07-04-2005, 12:49 PM
fred123

I believe I have solved my problem. Found one wheel toed out slightly. Turned on receiver and xmitter and rolled plane across the floor, adjusting the tailwheel until it rolled straight. Thanks for all your input..Fred123[&:]