Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Lets see your ULTRA SPORTS !!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Lets see your ULTRA SPORTS !!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 03:30 PM
bigugly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lets see your ULTRA SPORTS !!!!!!!!!!!

Good news http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...J584&P=7:D:D:D

I found this in the kit building section and just wanted to share with everyone that hasnt seen it yet
Old 04-13-2007, 05:54 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea, Ken and I will be at the Toledo Show in about an hour and we'll update you on this later!!!
Old 04-15-2007, 10:22 PM
MinnFlyer

Here's the word straight from the horse's mouth:

[link=http://www.infinityok.com/review/great_planes_announcment.wmv]Ultra Sport Announcement[/link]
Old 04-15-2007, 11:01 PM
rglgatortail
My Feedback: (7)

Hey coreman are you willing to giving up that wing that has the retracts if you are building that wing with the flaps or you just messing around with the opportunity of having a wing for any mood? Let me know because if you dont want the wing with flaps i sure can use it.
Robert
Old 04-15-2007, 11:04 PM
rglgatortail
My Feedback: (7)

sorry misused a word coreman i meant to say that if you dont want the wing with retracts i sure can use it sorry for the slip. you can email me at [email protected]
Old 04-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Well That was from the horses mouth alright,, Hmmmm I didn't hear him say anything about the US 1000, I have the Ultra sport 40+ also.

And YA HOOO I have completed the US 1000 I will be bringing her out to the field this Saturday maybe I can find out what all this hype is about on this bird,, it looks great!!!! to me anyway, lol, the wheel wells were put in last night, I just have to get her balanced by Saturday, so that will be done this week for sure no problem,, I was going to go with the recommended balance point to start out, maybe a touch tail heavier,, any Thoughts On what has been a good balance point for her, I like them to be docile in the sky.

I will post the pics sometime after Our flights on Saturday maybe even a movie clip
Yes I'm beaming.........
Old 04-17-2007, 09:00 AM
tychoc

We're waiting with anticipation for your maiden report

However, a picture now wouldn't hurt either

-tychoc
Old 04-17-2007, 11:50 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Now we're sure that it was Don Anderson in that film clip, not his CIA double right? Just checking.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:25 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, here is my trusty old US40 which I've been flying for the past 11 years. I just finished rebuilding this plane after flying it through a tree at a 4th of July funfly. This picture was taken right after I test flew it last night.

It flew great.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Waldopepperaxel

It was the most perfect day to maiden thee US1000, high 70's, winds at 0, and dumb moronic me forgot 2 aileron servo horn screws[:@][:@][&:][:@][:@] and then the retract servo gave me some problems and wouldn't lock the gear down,, so all I could do was run in the engine.

I usually have other planes with me, so at least I was able to fly, I have all Futaba gear and this is the 1st Hi-tech radio gear I have owned, so I didn't have extra parts in my flight box, I have a million other parts, so it will have to wait yet another week, after I went home I straightened everything all out, so shes now ready for sure.

let me tell you though, the G2300 SuperTigre ran awesome, it fired up in 2 flips and never stalled out, ran the whole tank through it, at 1 point I was holding it up and this thing is going to have unlimited vertical I'm sure, as I was setting it back straight, it pulled me off balance and almost took off with me attached, I am so frazzled to see this thing fly, but here are some pics of her, I guess it didn't want to fly until I finished the pin striping, which I will do this week, the Bobble head Yankees are a great touch as there heads are bobbling and it looks like they are looking around the cockpit. so heres the US.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63302.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	669609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54278.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	669610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92051.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	669611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58984.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	669612  
Old 04-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Waldopepperaxel

EXCELLENT EXCELLENT Plane,,,,, Well all the hype about the US1000 was right, this plane is awesome, After a long awaited time I finally got to maiden her today, she flys like a dart, I had fantastic control, about 1 click of left if any really of aileron trim and she was a spectacular site to see, I am really happy how everything turned out, thank you all for your help and advice along the way. man this thing moves, knife edge was completely effortless, about 10 -15 feet of runway and I could go unlimited vertical, and no flaps or nothing, she slowed right down for 3 soft beautiful landings, I couldn't be happier about this plane............

We went to the NY Yankee game on friday night, so I woke up late for our flyday and ended up scrambling to get to the field, so of course I forgot my camera,[:@] so the pics will have to wait until next week. Thanks again all
Old 04-29-2007, 08:09 AM
MinnFlyer

Sounds like another satisfied customer!
Old 04-29-2007, 12:33 PM
JohnAgnew2978

I am unable to open the "from the horse's mouth" about Ultrasports, so can somebody give me a synopsis?
I am flying my second US 1000 with a Moki 1.20, which I think is an excellent match. The first had retracts, and was always a hassle, the new one has tricycle gear which is a great help for our usual crosswinds.
The Moki pulls it through loops higher than my neck will go.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:36 PM
MinnFlyer

"From the horse's mouth" is a short video clip of Great Planes President Don Anderson sannouncing that the Ultra Sport 40 and 60, and the Super Sportster 40 & 60, and the Tracer are coming back this summer
Old 05-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Well heres a couple of pics with the new stripes on her, and as promised a link to her maiden flight movie, The movie site RC Videos chopped it up a bit in the upload, maybe its me but I haven't got a whole film to p[lay correctly yet and there only about 1 minute long so I don't know whats up,, but you can see the lift off and a quick fly by, this thing moves Love this plane.

The link to a flight http://rcuvideos.com/item/FX620PXQ1DMGK6K2

Name:	Gd93560.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	679956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36068.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	679957  
Old 05-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That thing screams![X(]
Old 05-11-2007, 12:56 PM
rasmus

Here is my Ultrasport 60. Built it from a kit 4 years ago. Robart retracts and Supertiger 90 engine. Unlimited vertical, and very fast.
It handels great, and is easy to fly.
I havent flown it much though, due to problems with the engine. Got another type of carburettor, and that solved all my problems with the engine.
Here are 2 pictures. One gear up, and one gear down.

Rasmus

Name:	Fd92393.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	682206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67498.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	682207  
Old 05-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Rasmus,, Nice Shots,, the plane looks great, love this plane with the retracts up on fly by.

I had another filming of the US 1000 this week, I had a great flight with her, She did deadstick again and the winds were about 15 - 25 at times but she cut through the wind with ease, no problems at all, but it did cruise by the landing strip at about 20 mph and over shot the runway she wouldn't sit down, and that was going into the wind, the other planes I flew into the wind this week as soon as I chopped the throttle it was like hitting the air brakes, Not the US though, she just wanted to keep on flying, without the motor running, then hit the right wingtip on the ground and did a couple of cart wheels, the wing bolts sheered off and the wing left the fuse, and there was No damage at all done to the plane or wing, even the retracts didn't bend and still work great, This is one of the main reasons I love a great home built kit, strong, strong, plane. I'll post the other videos in the next couple of days.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:07 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Built 1986 february
6.75#
Super Tigre S-61K-ABC (purchased in 1977, notice the round head)
100 hr air time

flew formation with Mike and Matt.

for that matter both of their are also still flying

Name:	Ec87472.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	697086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82603.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	697087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53067.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	697088   Click image for larger version

Name:	At55022.jpg
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	697089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep85836.jpg
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	697090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja41636.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	697091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tv38962.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	697092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wv73896.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	697093  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37459.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	697094  
Old 06-04-2007, 02:25 AM
rasmus

Nice pictures.

Great to see that your ultrasport has survived for that long. I am wondering about the canopy, though. My canopy keeps cracking, and I have gone through several, and last night I had to put on a new one as well. Is it just me, or is this a comon problem with the US.
I glue them on with epoxy.

Rasmus
Old 06-04-2007, 04:40 AM
MinnFlyer

I just got my old one back. It's almost as old - built in '92
Old 06-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Great Pics Paladin,

I Have some more Pics to add, and a few video clips I will be posting when I get a chance.

Any one have trouble steering on the ground with the recomended tail gear?? I can barely turn this thing on the ground, I think its mostly because of my retracts getting beat up on our bumpy runway, I have only been able to retract the things once so far, they keep bending back on the taxi to the take off and then won't go all the way in, then after the landings forget it, bend city, I hate our grass runway.[:@] its not terrible for anything else, just retract systems,[&o] I may be forced to go with the Stock landing gear.

And she wants to cruise, So far I haven't had a good landing yet, I mean she touches down great but I think I need a braking system, she just rolls and rolls and skids to a stop when the retracts spin sideways from the hot landing, I'm sure thats just me trying to get a feel for her landing speed, but I've come in from about 200 yards, engine stalled out, about 10 feet from the ground and she still won't slow down enough to stop after landing, it always rolls across our entire runway and into the high grass,, Hence,,, the problem of steering,, she just keeps going straight, I can jam the the elevators to full up to dig that back wheel in and she still goes straight as an arrow, maybe I'm too nose heavy or I really need to get rid of the retracts, or I just need more practice with her yet, I finally got the Motor running good, and at least it slows to an idle now. Only OS for me from now on. I tried straying this time for the 1st time in over 35 years never again.

Name:	Ig13257.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	697352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51902.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	697353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35729.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	697354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28612.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	697355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xj62975.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	697356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja40681.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	697357  
Old 06-04-2007, 09:15 AM
MinnFlyer

Waldo, How well does it spin? From the sound of your Hot landings I'm wondering if it's not nose heavy. A spin is a good indication. If it just spirals down instead of going into a good spin, you might want to add some tail weight
Old 06-04-2007, 10:18 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Waldo:

The 80" IMAA wing is hard to bring down. The original US 1000 design used for a 72" wing, which is much easier to land. It also has a faster roll rate and tracks better. If you built the 80" wing, you should consider cutting the last rib bay off each wing. You WON'T be sorry.

Jim
Old 06-04-2007, 10:38 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rasmus, I put a ¼ x ¼ balsa block between the instrument panel and the start of the turtle deck so that the canopy is supported along the flat surface by ¼ + balsa and glued it in with RC56. The glue is worth its weight in gold but it was reformulated a few years back to make it water proof. The water proof variety wont hold plastic though it is great for wood if you have it and don’t know what to do with it (now how do you suppose I know that). The old good formula for gluing canopies is now distributed by Pacer Tech. And called “Formula 560” it comes in a two ounce bottle, looks just like Elmer’s glue and works like it also. This stuff will seal the canopy area so you need to drill a hole into the cockpit from the radio compartment or you will either get stretch marks, or sucked in canopy. But once done correctly the canopy will last for ever.

Waldopepperaxel how much rudder throw do you have? I set my rudder throw by moving the stick until the rudder hits the E. Then reducing the throw until there is a small gap, repeat for the other side. If you have the 1000 and retracts your retracts are too small! I also had a 1000 with retracts and had the same problem. I fly off grass and mostly war birds that the same retract I put in the 1000 would never see a plane over 10#. As for slowing down on landing you need to set your attitude with the E and hold that attitude the plane will slow down and start to loose altitude. Add T to slow the altitude lose at the bottom. Once you get used to this the flair will come with time.

After my down wind turn I set the attitude of the plane at level to the runway and go to idle. I can see the plane slowing as it fly’s level then it nose drops (I add E to set the attitude here) and it starts to loose altitude when it has dropped three ft. or so with the fuse. Still level to the runway I add a click or two of T. The altitude loss is exponential with time so the longer you let it go the faster the plane will drop. So I like to keep a nice consistent altitude loss so for me that means a blip of throttle 2clicks about three times while it is descending to the runway. If I add one click and leave it on, it wont come down. When I want to arrest the altitude lose at the runway I add 2 clicks for the longest blip until it starts flying level above the runway. Then if all conditions are right I add E to keep the wheels just above the grass until it stalls on. If the wind is not right, its got a wing low, its crabbing or anything else you can think of that is not perfect, I skip the flair and wheel land. You need to wheel land until you get comfortable, but with bending retracts you want to flair, so you are between the rock and the hard place.

I hope this helps

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.