Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Yak 54 .40-.50 ARF need help with pull-pull elevator setup

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Yak 54 .40-.50 ARF need help with pull-pull elevator setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 06:39 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Yak 54 .40-.50 ARF need help with pull-pull elevator setup

Denniss

The oil cooler opening was neccessary to allow the pipes from the pitts silencer to pass into the opening under the cowl, I have also opened up the rear of the oil cooler opening to let the air scooped up out. Its a big opening underneath, current wisdom tells me that the outlet should be twice the size of the inlet, hence the size of hole which conveniently let me pass the silencer outlets.

On the wire, it will cut out any possible interference from the wires touching which they do on the cross over, putting the ant up the wing will require a plug of some kind to allow wing detachment, I like the idea perhaps the 2 mm electric in line plugs used on park flyers will work, and I have some of those, putting a small diamiter plastic tube up the wing through the aileron servo wire outlet will work, coincidently I'v used 24g copper wire up the wing of my DLG it works but it rattles.

Spinner is a True Turn, very true and very well ballanced, the hevier the spinner the better with all the weight needed in the front of this plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67040.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	415165  
Old 02-27-2006, 06:42 AM
BaldEagel

Dennis

I'v gone with your idea of the airial in the wing, just put a plastic tube up the wing from the tip through the aileron servo wire opening I got rid of the idea of a plug and just feed the wire up the tube when rigging the plane, will let you know if it cures the problem.

Mike
Old 02-27-2006, 11:57 AM
BaldEagel

Dennis

Another thing I did was when I mounted the undercarridge legs I angled them to give toe in at the wheels as its two seperate legs this is possible at the mounting point, the ground handling of this is very good not swinging on take off and very positive tracking on landing it was worth it.

Mike
Old 03-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Dennis H.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, well I got done moveing, and I'm on dial up! [:@] For an week or two, then I'll get back my DSL Any ways can you show me a photo of your angled landing gear? How much angled did you use?
Old 03-02-2006, 04:52 AM
BaldEagel

Dennis

The angle is dictated by the width of the trough into which the legs fit, I just angled it the maximum I could get and then drilled through, pic shows the amount I managed to get. The legs supplied on mine were not of the same width, so I just ensured I had the same distance from the tail on both sides to the axel.

When will you get yours finnished and flying?

Mike

Name:	Wu59693.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	418590  
Old 03-06-2006, 07:12 AM
BaldEagel

Dennis

Flew this week end again, I just cannot belive how quick and manouverable this little thing is, as I have said before I have a Jen 56 in the Yak and for the price I can't fault this engine pulls like a train on a 13x8 I will have to time this thing I think its got to be up in the 100mph area, and I am a fairly good judge with a timmed PC9 at over 90mph and a Tigershark at 150mph both timmened and radar gunned. If you are interested the Jen engine is from Just Engines in the UK a special development in a 40 size case, it thinks its a 60 wonderfull engine, but early days yet don't know how long it will last but it has a two year warantee. I just love the Yak its fast manouvreable and snaps are the best. You must get yours flying and report back after all the bad reports on here, this one proves that my first was underpowered, which may be the problem that others are experiencing. What do you think?

Mike
Old 03-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Dennis H.

Mike, Wow!!!! 100 mph Lol....good going, First I need to brake in my engine, I still planing on the satio 100, Have a OS 50 on stand by, If all gose well I'll brake in the engine this week end, You need to post some flying photo, for the other to see, that it dose fly!! Lol............

Dennis
Old 03-07-2006, 06:03 AM
BaldEagel

Dennis

I will have to find someone with quick reactions to get the YAK in frame, I think it would be better on the vidio, once the weather inproves over here I plan to vidio the YAK and my Seagull PC9 with retracts, will be an interesting day.

Mike

Old 03-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Dennis H.

Hey Mike, Forgot to ask, How the Ant. wire in the wing work for yo?
Dennis
Old 03-10-2006, 08:34 AM
BaldEagel

Dennis

Gitches all gone now just as well as I'm getting rearly fond of this plane, just took delivary of a Profile Funtana sticking an OS50 in it as thats what I have available may be to heavy but we will see, incidently I am using the new Futaba 146IP receiver its PCM but not Dual Conversion? Strange never come accross that before.

Mike
Old 03-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Dennis H.

Mike, Good to hear that your gitches are gone, do you think its because the Ant. is in the wing? Your new PCM receiver, Or a combo of both?
In one of your photo, You show how you add some wire to your pull/pull, Did you cut them out, or are you still have them in place?

Dennis
Old 03-11-2006, 05:41 AM
BaldEagel

Dennis

Kept the wire between the pull pull cables did not think it was worth taking out as it must elliminate any RF interference that may be caused by the wire's rubbing together. Unfortunatly PCM does not elliminate interference it only disguises it by locking the controls until the signal is reestablished, the only way to see if I have elliminated the glitches is to put a non PCM receiver back in, I may try this later.

Weather at the moment is diabolical not vidioable at all see what tommorow brings.

Mike
Old 03-16-2006, 11:59 AM
tmckien
My Feedback: (1)

I just purchased this model slightly used. Has anyone flown it with an OS .46AX 2cycle or Saito .56 4C? I have both and would like a recommendation on which would be the better choice. I don't need 3D capability, just sport flying. Thanks, Terry M.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:20 AM
BaldEagel

tmckien

This is not a 3D aircraft, do not even think of trying to slow it down it will bite. If you underpower it, it will bite worse. I have a 2S 56 in mine and its very fast and very good, my previous version had a 70 4S in and was snappy, this aircraft needs power at its design weight if you could lighten it that would make a difference. The Saito would pull a bigger prop which would help with thrust and airflow over the wings, but then the 46 is an almost equivilant and would achive the same with extra revs, the choise is what engine do you prefer.

Good luck.
Mike
Old 03-23-2006, 07:54 AM
tmckien

Thanks for the replies regarding engines. What are the elevator, aileron and rudder throws that you use? I got a note from UltraRc with the following starting settings: Elevator: 1/2" total travel.......1/4" of up and 1/4" of down; Ailerons: 3/8" up and 3/8" down; Rudder: 1" left and 1"right. These are dramatically different from the manual. I just do sport aerobatics (Cuban 8's, etc) and don't want it too wild. Do these settings look ok to those of you who are flying the model?
Thanks, Terry
Old 03-24-2006, 06:38 AM
BaldEagel

Terry

Its the elevator throw that can be a problem if you pull too much, 1/4" each way I know sounds small, but if you pull more from straight and level it will snap, I use a lot of exponential to slow things down around the centre stick position and try not to get too exsited and pull full stick but even then I only have 1/2" both ways on the elevator. Ailerons I use 1/2" up 1/4" down this differential keeps the yaw at bay and also puts washout into the up going aileron wing so keeps the tip stall at bay. Rudder I use as much as I can get but 1" left and right will get you on the right track to start. All my controls use exponential to slow things down arround the centre position, I find it heps a lot. I wont bore you with the Ailivators they are something else to play with.

Hope this helps, let me know how you get on, but please be carefull on slow approuches when using elevator this aircraft is designed to be unstable and therefore very aerobatic, get the cofg right in the front of the range to start with, if not just in front of the reccomended.

Mike
Old 03-24-2006, 06:50 AM
tmckien

Thanks for your help, Mike. I should have it ready to go by early next week. I'll post the results. Terry
Old 03-27-2006, 10:13 AM
BaldEagel

Terry

Look forward to hearing all about you maiden just keep the speed up on your first landing.

Mike
Old 03-29-2006, 04:55 PM
tmckien

Mike, Thanks for your help. Here is how mine is now set up.
I still need to do some trimming.
Power: OS .46FX with 11/5 prop - OK, but needs more power for vertical performance- Maybe an 11/4 prop will help??

Weight: 6.5 pounds - I needed 10 ounces of lead in the nose to get CG right - lead is stacked on side of motor mount
CG: 5 3/4 " out from the wing/Fuselage joint and 3 5/8" in from the leading edge - Pretty close to the factory recommendation.
I still need a little bit of up trim for level flight - See attached photo.

(I originally started with 3 oz more in the nose, but I needed about 1/8" of up elevator trim to keep it level and it dropped the nose in turns. With the extra lead, the CG was at 3.1" from the LE).

Throws:

Aileron 1/2" up and 1/2" down measured at 8" from the wingtip (High Rate); Low Rate is 3/8" up and down

Elevator: 1/2" up and 1/2" down, measured at 4 1/2" from tip of stabilizer (High Rate) Low Rate is set at 3/8" up and down
The original 1/4" up and down was not sufficient to get out of any kind of trouble - At least for the CG I am using.
You have to be very careful with the 1/2" setting at lower speeds.... as you all have warned.

Rudder 1 1/4" left and right, measured 4" down from the top of rudder

All three are set at -25% exponential

So far it looks great in the air and is fun to fly. I may have to go to the FS 70 to get the power reserve that I would like.

I hope this helps anyone else that is trying to set up their model.
Terry M

Name:	Vt57231.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	435425  
Old 03-31-2006, 09:15 AM
BaldEagel

Terry M

Great to hear there is another flying succesfully, they are a great aircraft as long as you know the limitations of the wing, putting lots of expo on the elevator worked well for me, Your cofg sounds a bit strange compared to mine, recommended range is 150mm (6")from the root and 80 :90 back (3.15: 3.54"), I have a Jen 56 motor in mine which seems about ideal, only 30grams of lead, but a metal spinner, CofG at 6" out from the wing root and 3 3/8" back, if you need up trim for level flight is this level flight at WOT or just keeping the aircraft level whilst in flight, if its attitude is nose down, then you may have too much nose weight, keep us informed how you are getting on whit this, its all good input.

Edit I do not know how the smillies got in there they are supposed to be the bracket closure?

MIke
Old 04-01-2006, 02:01 AM
spadulike

in the uk it was sold under the Flair / Jamara banner, and receiveing nothing but bad press.

So , i went and bought one.

It looks good on the ground and in the air.

Yak no 1, yes thats no 1.

Took off, flew a circuit and in it went, total destruction.( tx xtal went down).

a voice ffrom behind sang out " yakety yak, dont come back". he, he.

no 2.

i find it flicks at the slightest provocation even on low rates - maybe the c of g is too far back.

I used an irvine 53 ( which is more than enough) and loads of lead in the nose.

The wing loading if calculated is very high for this model.

what elevator and aileron rates are you using ?

Old 04-01-2006, 05:06 AM
BaldEagel

spadulike

If you go back 4 posts I have detailed the movements I use on my Flair Yak, if you note under my callsign at the left hand side I am also in the UK.

Mike
Old 04-02-2006, 11:52 AM
76.ta
My Feedback: (39)

I picked up one of these yak's in a swap meet new in the box for a hundred bucks. Your input would be appreciated. I want the plane to have unlimited vertical and to balance without adding extra weight. I have the following engines that I can use on the plane. Let me know which one you would use and if you have time, why.

Y. S. 91 27.6 ounces with muffler
Super Tiger 90 27.7 ounces with muffler
Surpass 70 19.9 ounces with muffler
Saito 72 18.3 ounces with muffler

Thank you for your help. I will put a pull pull set up for the rudder in order to help balance the plane with no added weight if I need to.
Roy
Old 04-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Pale_aileron

ORIGINAL: 76.ta

I picked up one of these yak's in a swap meet new in the box for a hundred bucks. Your input would be appreciated. I want the plane to have unlimited vertical and to balance without adding extra weight. I have the following engines that I can use on the plane. Let me know which one you would use and if you have time, why.

Thank you for your help. I will put a pull pull set up for the rudder in order to help balance the plane with no added weight if I need to.
Roy
I've got a Saito 82 in mine and it flies great.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:53 AM
BaldEagel

76.ta

I have a Jen 56 in mine it is a bored out 40 so its light 12onz without siliencer I put a Pitts silencer to allow mininmum cutting out of that beutiful round cowl, it needed only 3onz of lead in the nose to ballance, it also has unlimited vertical. A previous verstion I had I put a OS70 4 S in and that was not enough for large vertical manouvres.

So to answer your question the YS sounds too big, the Super Tiger is way over the top and the 4S sound too small. I take it the version you have is the 52" one and not the 72" one because if its the big one the YS would be ideal IMO.

The rudder is a closed loop system in the standard model, I also put closed loop on both sides of the elevator connected to seperate servos for Ailivators, this lightended up the rear end so may be why I only needed 3onz of lead.

Come back if you need any more infomation.

MIke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.