Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

HELP FLYING BIPLANE!

Old 10-05-2005, 11:51 AM
TTiger3
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default HELP FLYING BIPLANE!

I have a Sig Mini Smith. Its about a 40 size plane. I have a OS 46 in it. i have never flown a biplane before. this plane has ailerons on the bottom wing but not on top wing. If anyone could give me tips on flying this plane. Again i have never flown a biplane before so i just wanted to receive some flying info. on these planes. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:33 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HELP FLYING BIPLANE!

TTiger3,

I'm not familiar with that particular plane but there are a couple of things common to all bipes. I'm using the below in comparasion to a trainer or a low wing airplane.

1) Bipes have allot of drag so floating them in for a landing usually does not work well. You normally need to keep a slight amount of power on until just before touchdown.
2) Bipes that have ailerons on the lower wing only may roll slower than one with 4 ailerons so be ready with down elevator during the roll when the plane is inverted
3) Be ready with the rudder in turns
4) Be ready to hold the rudder when taking off longer . More drag takes more time to get airborne so you need to be on the rudder longer.
5) Some bipes can be hard to tell which way is upright or inverted

As an example to number 2. I own both a GP Super Stearman and the GP PT-17 (same as the super stearman but with 2 ailerons and no cowl). The Super Stearman rolls nice and quick, the PT-17 with the same throw does roll a bit slower.

Both planes require allot of rudder in the first part of the takeoff roll. Both planes sink big time on approach if you are not holding some power.

Now my Wildhare Ultimate is completely different during takeoff and in the air. It tracks very straight during takeoff, in the air you only need a very tiny bit of rudder if any at all at times, but you still need to carry some power for landing.

6) And the most inportant difference of all, Bipes just plane look great in the air
Old 10-05-2005, 03:18 PM
britbrat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Smith Miniplane.

Bubbagates is right (again). In addition to his words of wisdom, make the take-off long & flat. If you horse it off too soon, it will stall & spin -- for sure. The rudder is your friend -- be well acquainted.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:14 PM
nickj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Smith Miniplane too. I agree with bubba except for the drag part. With no wires and thin wings, the Mini doesn't slow down very fast. The O.S. .46 will pull it very well. With an 11-6 prop, you'll need a very low idle to get it to land. The suggested elevator settings are okay, but landings take almost all of the up elevator. Rolls are indeed very slow, requiring a lot of down elevator when inverted. Snaps are great, though. Throw in some rudder and the plane jumps--rudder is very effective.

My first flights, I throttled WAY back to get used to the way the plane looks in the air. Took awhile.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:47 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: britbrat

Bubbagates is right (again).
Shhh, don't tell him that!

Pretty soon he won't be able to get his head through the doorway.

Old 10-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Norm Nestie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have been flying a SMP for three years with OS 52 Surpass. My first bipe
build. Best thing I did was set 2 degrees right thrust to the motor. Made for nice flat, predictable take offs. The initial torque rolls on take off darn near killed the plane. Don't care what the plans say, the offset made a BIG difference to the take offs and does not affect other flight characteristics. Spiced up the rather slow roll rate by simply moving the aileron linkage a little further down the torque rods. Gave just enough additional throw to make for nice snappy rolls. Have a few planes/bipes but still think the SMP is my favourite...er...maybe the CG Ultimate...or....the Unionville Fleet Finch..no, no, ..the GP Ultimate..or, no it is the SMP. Hope you enjoy yours as much.