Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Sig Wonder

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Sig Wonder

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:40 PM
victorzamora

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Wonder

The Webra 40 I was going to use weighed right at 16oz[X(]...NOT good. It was also too wide for the firewall. I bought an Evo 36 and I'm taking the Webra 40 back. The Evo will fit MUCH better, and should have MORE than plenty of power.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:44 AM
frenchie79

Hang on Dude! I have an OS15CV-A on mine with a 7x6 APC and it really rips. Overall speed i don't think is that fast, but for it's size it looks like 100+MPH. Corners are very tight-Fun plane.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:34 AM
jumper666

A friend's Wonder came out well.

gb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65936.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	1659607  
Old 09-28-2011, 07:01 PM
BT00561
My Feedback: (26)

Just started building a Wonder. Still trying to figure out what colors Im gonna wrap it in. But hope it looks as good as some of your guys planes.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:51 PM
skyraider71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neat. I have a wonder kit in the rafters, and I need some insparation to build mine.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:55 PM
jumper666

A friend is beginning construction of a twin Wonder. Hopefully, we'll have pics shortly. Here a video of his single's maiden flight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0mhNrmWupw

gb
Old 10-18-2011, 01:02 PM
skyraider71

Cool vid, makes me want to dust off my kit.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:10 PM
jumper666

The kit goes together easilly and quickly.

gb
Old 10-18-2011, 10:56 PM
BT00561

Ive been working on mine the past few days, and it goes pretty fast. I cant wait to get it done. I picked Royal Blue and White for the colors just trying to figure out how I wanna put the colors on. It will be powered with a Magnum .25, so it should be pretty sporty. This is my first real kit so Iam learning things as Igo.Heres a couple pictures of the progress:

Old 10-19-2011, 07:52 AM
jumper666

Suggestion: make the color scheme obvious, big, and bold. When flying, this plane gets small FAST.

gb
Old 10-19-2011, 10:25 PM
BT00561

Yea that is the one thing Iam woriking on for the colors, I might add some red to it also.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jumper666

Suggestion: make the color scheme obvious, big, and bold. When flying, this plane gets small FAST.

gb
Jumper, I agree they don't hang around. See link, I've fitted it with a standard 0.25 OSMax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UvYmoMZbh0

BT, you can expect the same type of speed with your setup - make sure the cg is correct, err on the nose heavy side if you need to.
You need contrasting colours. My latest one haveyellow / redchevron ontop and is white below.
Make your low rate settings some 20 % lower than the manual states - until you got a feel for the plane - and you need a large open space - see link above. I'm flying in a large open space and it just eats up distance... it is an adrenalin rush but I love these planes - have built many of them over the years and they never cease to put a big grin on my face....

Word of advice: to fly it, you need quick fingers and bicycle clips for your jeans for if fitted with bigger engines, they tend to disapear from sight from time to time......
The one on the pic attached is one I've also built but gave it "Das Ugly Stik" wingtips and fins. It is also fitted with a 0.25 OS but this one flies slower as it got U/C as well.

They tend to age quickly but then I make slope soarers of them - converted this WONDER into a slope soarer, flies very well. The yellow lettering dates from when it was a very fast powerplane - when you can read it, you know it's upside down.... I have converted a number of these extremely high performance "point & fly" power planes into very successful slope soarers.
Enjoy your build

Cheers

Bundu

Name:	Tr49083.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1678656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31369.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1678657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69486.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	1678658  
Old 10-25-2011, 02:27 PM
jumper666

Wonder in video looks GREAT. A friend is about 1/2 through on a 48" twin Wonder.

gb
Old 11-26-2011, 05:52 AM
FSmithSE

Just finished reviewing SIG Wonder posts since 10/2005 - lots of knowledge and experience with SIG Wonder here.

Currently putting together a matrix of model, engine, receiver, servo and battery requirements for five models I will be working on over the Winter.  Will boost SIG Wonder construction to the top.

The SIG manual discusses the four prototype versions - I will be building the US NAVY configuration. The market has come a long way since the prototype assembly using Futaba R114H receiver and Futaba S133 micro servos - these are now obsolete or discontinued.

Will be using Futaba 2.4Ghz transmitter and I am considering the Magnum KLS 15A 2-stroke engine. From the discussions it sounds like a .15 has enough power to scramble this baby and make your eyeballs roll - but I am open to suggestions, including installation of a 4-stroke.

Based on experience of SIG Wonder pilots in this forum, would like to hear what current Futaba electronics I should consider for this model. These are my candidates, and please feel free to recommend any that I have not listed.

Candidate recievers:  R6106HFC, R617FS.

Candidate servos: S3003, S3004, S3102, S3114, S3115. Need to select servo with the right  type gearing and torque. Are metal gears needed on the SIG Wonder, or will nylon do just fine? Will have to drive ailerons, elevator, and optional throttle.

Candidate battery: GP NiMH 4-cell 4.8V 350 mAh.

Please let me know what you think about the above candidates, and your recommendations to come up with a good configuration.

FS
Old 11-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Bundubasher

Hi FSmith,
I use Li-Fe batteries, they are small, light and powerful (6.6V). It is ideal for WONDERSwhere space is limited. Pack your battery (any type) well as it will get a shock with belly landings.

Refer to my post earlier - the WONDER in that video was fitted with a OS 25 engine, I'm now upgrading it to shoe horn in an Enya SS50 engine - twice the engine capacity but not much heavier. This Wonder was buildt usingepoxy/composite fibre - wings and fuse, but with this engine it will push the wing design to the limit - all blood, speed and power...

Cheers

Bundu

Name:	Om34456.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	1691563  
Old 11-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Bundubasher

Guys,
I walked into my workshop a few days ago and discoverd that I have a breeding pair of WONDERS - see attached pic. They are nesting in a corner on the workbench in my shop.

Does anyone out there know how many eggs the WONDERhen lays at a time, and how long the incubation time is?

And will they attack me if I want to get to my tools behind them on the wall?

Cheers

Bundu

Name:	Qn38453.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	1691566  
Old 11-27-2011, 07:02 AM
FSmithSE

Bundu,

From what I gather, these things can apparently get out of control.

I can understand the seriousness of your problem; did some research and found this Neutering Tool on Tower:
LXSB49.

FS

Old 11-27-2011, 07:20 AM
FSmithSE

victorzamora

frenchie79

jumper666

BT00561

skyraider71

Thanks for your input on Li-Fe battery and .25 engine Bundu. How much flight time do you get out of your Li-Fe battery?

Would also like to hear from above forum members on what they used, or would recommend, for SIG Wonder receiver, servos and battery - see my post on 11/26/2011.

Has anyone considered reinforcing the bottom of the fuselage with layer of epoxy?

Thanks,

FS

Old 11-27-2011, 08:12 AM
jumper666

I do not believe taking the time and effort to reinforce the acft's bottom with layer of epoxy is necessary. My Wonder has been through contless flights and is still going strong. To protect its bottom, a strip of my favorite clear, strong, slick tape was used. The original tape application is still there and showing minimul wear. Putting the tape on takes less than 5 minutes. You might consider going this route. To see how well it slides on landing, jump to 6:25 on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfMPKPJQO7w

Tape: http://duckbrand.com/Products/packag...ging-tape.aspx

gb
Old 11-27-2011, 08:31 AM
BT00561

I will be using a Magnum .25 Engine, All Standard servos, 1000mAh battery, and an Orange Reciever with Satelite for my Spektrum radio.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:40 AM
jumper666

More info on mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fznpaInskNw&feature=player_embedded#!

See post #25: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47225

gb
Old 11-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Bundubasher

Hi FS,
Thank you for the most practical advice on that neutering tool you've found in your extensive research.....
I was worried on what to do with a bunch of WONDERchicksonce they hatch - if they are anything like roof pigeons, I will have WONDER chick poop all over my workshop...

As for the Li-FE batteries, they last longer than you can fly in 1 day. I have 1450 and 1700 mah Li-Fe batteries in planes up to 1800mm wingspan and they easily last 4 - 5 flights with 5 - 6 servo's in the planes. The WONDERonly have 3 servo's of which 2 works hard. (elevator/aileron). I've not made more than 4 flights in a WONDERa day as I flew other planes too.

As for the protection of the fuse underside with epoxy - you will add weight without achieving much. My last WONDER was build completely from composite fibre/epoxy and although strong as the gates of hell, it is taking much more punishment damage on belly landings than the wooden kit WONDERS I've build. Just add a self adhesive hard rubber orplastic strip down the middle on the bottom - or just ditch it into some tall grass on a landing...
Old 11-30-2011, 02:12 PM
ululi1970

I have been thinking about building one of these for some time now. This would be my second kit.
I have found this "guide" on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Success-Sig-...item4cfc4f0c5d

wonder if anybody has had any experience with this guy. Does it really need a guide in addition to its manual?
PLanning to use a Magnum XL .15, at least until I get the
hang of it...

Old 11-30-2011, 04:26 PM
jumper666

I am not familiar with that guide. There is LOTS of free Wonder information available on line.

gb
Old 12-11-2011, 11:19 AM
FSmithSE

To answer your question about the Wonder Guide on eBay:

I purchased the guide on e-Bay that you referred to. Cost me $1.99 on a bid, and it is a downloadable document. I believe the "Buy-It-Now" pricewas $3.99. Item is called "Success with the Wonder; R/CSuccess with the Wonder Guide" by funshipmodels.

Sent author a few e-mail questionsbefore purchasing - his reply was philosophical in nature, didn't really answer my questions.

Took a chance and boughtthe referenceto see ifit had any value.

The first thing I looked for wasa diagram or photo ofhow he installed the Tri-Gear landing system - nothingbuta description - no illustrations or photos at all - only the cover; it is all text -I was disappointment to say the least. This reference is only 9 pages long.

The reference briefly touches on engine, radio, servo selection and is very generic.

Then author provides some tips and pointers on building, pre-flight radio setup, and then flying.

The author speaks about his experience flyingthe SIGWonder, adjusting down trim forlevel fligth, and recommends servo rates for best performance.

Whether or not you purchase this "Guide" all depends on your interest in whatthe author may include as "Vital Information and Optional Enhancements for this Fast Mover".

I intend to provide the author feedback about his product along with some recommendations for improvement.

Overall I guess it was worth a few bucks for the flyingconstruction tips and flying pointers.

FS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.