Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

What is the best first biplane?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

What is the best first biplane?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 11:09 PM
mosquitowings
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is the best first biplane?

I have owned both the tiger bipe and the world models ultimate, and they are two different animals!
The tiger isn't scale if that means anything, and the ultimate is harder to fly if that means anything.
I ran an old pre surpass OS40fs in the tiger and it flew like a trainer, not under powered, but little reserve. I'm running an ASP52 4stroker with a k model 12x5 in the ultimate and it has plenty of power for anything short of 3-d. It is shorter coupled than the tiger, so it isn't as "gentle" to fly but by no means a killer either. Both kits are built well so that's a wash IMHO. I'd say it depends on what you want your bird to do, if you want fast go with the ultimate, but if you just want to cruise, go with the tiger. Incidentally, I recovered my tiger after a crash repair with transparent green and cream scallops and it looked a lot better!
Jim
Old 11-28-2005, 03:58 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have another suggestion, but this one's quite a bit different than what the others mention: Pacific Aeromodel Tiger Moth. It uses a .30 to .40 four stroke(mine flies with more than scale power on a Saito FA-30), but it has a 50" w.s., roughly the size of most .40 bipes. It is very well built and covered, and it flies beautifully, in a scale-like manner. It does pretty good "scale" aerobatics, ie. loops, barrel rolls, wingovers, stall turns, etc, but it's pretty docile. If you are looking for a barn-burner like a Pitts M-14 or Ultimate, this ain't the plane for you. However, if you want a relaxing plane that can do graceful aerobatics and look pretty doing it, give this one some thought. Mine was well worth the $200 spent on it.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:15 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

I've seen the mag review and they said that T.M. is a nice plane. I would like to have one myself.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Navy18

do yourself a favor; buy the GP Ultimate 40; learn how to build a nice plane and then enjoy how great it flies.

Put an OS70 on the nose and enjoy!!!!
Old 12-20-2005, 03:53 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I've actually been looking at the Great Planes Ultimate .40 kit, Navy18. My concern, however, is that I've never built a kit before (I only have one ARF under my belt) AND I've never flown a biplane either. I thought the GP Ultimate .40 might be biting off more than I can chew given my very rudimentary building experience. I was also concerned that such a kit wouldn't last long if my poor building skills created a less-than-ideal airframe.

Is the GP Ultimate .40 such an easy kit that it would be a good first-ever kit build?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Navy18

If care is taken and the book is followed, the Ultimate40 is a great first bipe. Don't be in a hurry, fit everything first, and enjoy the build. The kit is very well engineered and the easiest bipe to put together at the field of all I have had. It is by far my favorite bipe. I have built quite a bit and found this kit very easy. Performance is both docile if you want or very acrobatic; whichever suits your flying. Feel free to get with me over the phone if you pick this one up and have any concerns while building.

I have considered buying another and doing quite alot of modifying to it; it is that well built.... I really like the way the top wing is attached to the cabanes. Great Planes really thought this one out well.

Good luck whichever way you go.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:22 AM
hogflyer

Ed -

I agree with you on the Pheaton Bipe - one of the best flying bipes I've built or flown using an OS .40 FSR. The plans for the orginal Pheaton aren't listed as available from Balsa USA, but the Pheaton II kits are are currently shown ($88.95). I've heard this is supposed to be as good flying as the orginal, but haven't flown it my self. I've still got my Pheaton plans so I can scratch build another one.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:10 AM
Navy18

Another rather nice project for a larger engine; 90 4stroke at least, is the Sig hog-bipe. It is a larger project but well engineered and is quite a good looker after completion. It lends itself to quite abit of modifying if that is your thing. It requires more space and setup is alittle more time consuming at the field. It still would come second to the GP Ultimate40 but goes together well.

Let us know what you decide on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62131.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	374536  
Old 12-24-2005, 04:21 PM
bigedmustafa

My favorite local hobby store has the GP Ultimate .40 kit sitting on the shelf. The temptation to just go buy it is tempered by my total lack of experience at kit building. Still, I'll never learn how unless I jump in and just do it.

Still, with the Tiger Bipe ARF and the Model Tech SE-5A ARF both available for about $150, it's still tempting to get an ARF biplane and do a Sig Midstar or a Top Flight Contender for my first kit. Still thinking, I guess...
Old 12-24-2005, 05:13 PM
mrbigg

I Think that the World Models Ultimate is a good buy. Maybe that will work and then a kit.

here's a link for it. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_35.../anchor/tm.htm
Old 12-25-2005, 12:56 AM
Navy18

It sounds like you are second guessing yourself with the kit..... make it easy; buy an ARF for now and once you get it off the bench, get the mid-star or four-star which are about as easy a build as you can start with. You can see how you like building without having to build two wings.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:48 AM
bigedmustafa

The World Models Ultimate .40 is still on my shopping list. I guess I'd rank it as my second choice behind the Tiger Bipe along with the Model Tech SE-5a. My Tiger Stick .40 has been a blast to build and fly. I also have a Thunder Tiger Giles 202 EP Profile that was easy to build and it's a blast to fly. I love the Thunder Tiger ARFs that I've tried so far, and I like the fact that there aren't too many other TT ARFs in either of the clubs I fly with. The size is good for transporting without disassembly and I like the bright covering scheme.

The SE5a sounds like it flies good based on the reviews I've read. I haven't seen any of them around the local fields either. It's a little bit plain looking, but it would be fun to jump into my first biplane and first warbird at the same time. The World Models Ultimate .40 is beautiful, and the bright white and purple trim scheme should be easy to see. I think it would be fairly unique among local flyers. Our local hobby stores don't stock any of the three bipe ARFs I'm considering.

Between the gift certificates I got for Christmas from my family and the prize money I just won today for winning my fantasy football league, I can go ahead and make my choice. I'll let you guys know what I decided on once I collect my fantasy football cash and talk to my local hobby stores. There will be a bipe ARF and a 4-stroke engine to go with it in my not-too-distant future.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:44 AM
Always flying
My Feedback: (22)

hello fellas,

I have a Sig ultimate fun fly. It's an easy plane to build! A great plane to fly...it all boils down to preferance! Build what you feel suits you! you can have alot of fun with any of the planes last mentioned! On my sig ultimate i put a saito 82a on it and i tell yah... it torkes the plane around with great authority...to much..i have a apc 14x4w on it now and going to try a 12x7 3 blade to try and get the motor to stop torque rolling it when trying to hover..LOL! It's still a fun plane to fly! I't my toss around plane! fits easy into any car or truck..go have fun!!

here's a couple pics!

cheers mannyh
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19547.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	379514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73892.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	379515   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27973.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	379516  
Old 01-02-2006, 12:05 PM
mrbigg

looks nice!
Old 01-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Always flying
My Feedback: (22)

Thanks!

It's the 46% hanger 9 scheme turned out good! I fly this mug in the winter it's a blast! as soon as we get snow i'm going to try ski's on it! i got some built to match the yellow!

cheers!

mannyh
Old 01-02-2006, 01:57 PM
mrbigg

put some pics here with the skis on there. what brand did you use. sounds fun.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:45 PM
bigedmustafa

That looks like it was a fun project to build, Always Flying! Maybe when I decide to take the plunge on my first kit I can add that as a second biplane! By all means keep us up to date on your ski flying experiences.