Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 05:33 PM
MikeMc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SHRIKE CLUB # 1

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

You should nail it down rather easily by posting on RC Ads web sites
What does this mean?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:28 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

I really don't recommend moving the fire wall back
Mhhh. It then depends on the spinner, as my friend used a "heavyweight" alu spinner on his os.32 Shrike. It balanced correctly with no lead but with the firewall moved 2 cm backwards. Not moving the firewall backwards on .32 sized engines indeed requires making the fuse a bit longer. Moving the firewall backwards is simple, as Lanier only partially cut the firewall mounting holes. Just glue them back in place, and cut two other ones 2 cm behind, or adjust to your needs to have the back of the prop just in front of the fuselage front end.
Right now it flies a hair nose heavy with a 15. AUW is 33 oz. I have move the elevator servo back as far as it can go. I can move the throttle servo (HS55) about 3" if necassary, but I think the gain will be very minor. The battery is in a hatch all the way back.

The 25 weighs almost 4 oz more than the 15. The engine mount weighs more also. If I just replace the engine/mount, this will move the center of mass (more of it) forward. Now it is going to fly real nose heavy and the elevator will loose much of it's effectiveness. I can imagine plowing into the grass at high speed because it will not flair for landing. The speed sounds fun, but not the beating the fuse will be getting.

This thing will be about 38-39 oz not including another oz of fuel in the bigger tank. Nose heavy is no fun, so I will need to add weight to the rear. I hate to add weight so I won't.

Moving/replacing the firewall should be fairly easy.

The plane has almost 80 flights on it, but could use a lot more speed. I also want to be able to flair for landing.

Light is right!
Old 08-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MikeMc

You should nail it down rather easily by posting on RC Ads web sites
What does this mean?

Mhh is that incorrect english lol ? Well, I was telling that I would post messages on R/C (Radio Control) related web sites (as many as humanely possible), especially on the web sites of the R/C clubs in your area, telling the story, posting pictures of your Shrike, and asking those who *might* see it (anyhere) to call you.
Just posting the picture here on RCU as you did improves your chances to get it back. It's gonna be difficult, though [&o]

Old 08-30-2007, 11:54 AM
MikeMc

Ah. I see. However I'm pretty sure you're right about it being trashed. We have a lot of casual crime around here. Some break in stuff, but it's mostly if you leave something outside, unlocked, un-attended it will be stolen. I've seen it. They will come in from a few blocks away and walk down the street at night checking every car and garage door. If it's unlocked then you're screwed. Or if a skate board or bike is left out it will be gone in the morning. This is what happened to me (I forgot to lock the garage) and I'm pretty sure somebody thought it was pretty for 5 minutes and then it got trashed. The only good news is the receiver wasn't it it at the time.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:07 PM
eurekame

OK, I have to show off my second shrike..... The first one was sturdy and HEAVY. Lost it to a stall on base leg with a cross wind.

This one came in under 4 lbs.
Powered by a Italian super tiger .40.
I added a rudder so I can use a dolly for takeoffs..
I made some other changes but nothing too drastic.
It should be ready for the maiden come monday..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19252.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	753430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wm85145.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	753431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz14153.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	753432  
Old 08-30-2007, 07:26 PM
RC-Captain

very nice, I like the dual servos for ailerons, the rudder is definitely a plus, (will it knife edge ?) and the aileron shape really wants me to stop being lazy and go ahead and build another one.

GL on your maiden.

CAP
Old 08-31-2007, 06:24 PM
eurekame

Thank you, RC-Captain... I am looking forward to the "shakes" from the first flight. Knive edge flight would be most cool.....Even if it will not knife edge it will still be fun to see it spin.
My first Shrike had dual servos for the ailerons and I loved the crispness and the adjustability....I never did try flaps....I think I will this time.
I had a lot of fun on this build... It felt good to know what to do and decide if I wanted to do it that way or another.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:00 PM
[email protected]

Hi guys. Got a question for any of you guys that are flying your shrike fast as heck. I have a shrike 15 with robart retracts, os 32sx, mac pipe, apc 8X10 cut down to 7", rudders and dual ail. servos. I haven't hit the radar gun on it but I have another plane that does 132mph and I think its pretty close to that speed. I'm having some serious issues when I am wide open. The plane starts to rock back and forth violently, almost uncontrolably. If I back off a couple mph. it's fine. My question is... Have any of you had this problem and/or any ideas on how I can fix this?

I'll put some pics up here tomorrow for you guys. Thanks a bunch for your time and your help.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:15 AM
RC-Captain

the only thing that comes to mind is maybe you didn't seal all of the hinge gaps. Without them sealed you will experience flutter at very high speeds.

CAP.

PS not to brag, but I fly with the guy who designed this model can you guess who he is ?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:39 PM
europatc74
My Feedback: (6)

Finished my first Strike. Installed the 32 sx. Flys great... Was wonder what props you've found work best with this set up. 10/6..9/7. 9/8 ?? Presently running a 10/6. Thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Strykaas

8x8
Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 PM
[email protected]

8X8 was really good but if you do it correct the 8x10 cut down to a 7x10 is a heck of a lot quicker and still pulls vertical great.

RcCaptain. I don't think its any flutter. It's almost like the air is getting spoiled over the wing. Maybe wing tips? I'm not sure who he is but I built and designed all of this into the shrike myself. I even made a fiberglass cowl for it.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:21 PM
RC-Captain

Do a search on JOE BESHAR , then you will understand what I mean about the inventor of the SHRIKE . As far as the flutter that may be true, so maybe your cowl is causing the vibration ? I never deviated, except for the engine, on the design of my shrike so it's like throwing darts in the dark trying to help you find out what is causing the flutter.

CAP
Old 09-05-2007, 08:29 PM
[email protected]

Hey thanks for the idea RcCaptain. I sealed the control surfaces and also I fly it by fast and close to look and I cant seem to see any flutter. I'm starting to think maybe the wing might be stalling on the top right side because of the rotation of the small prop and also the pipe positioning next to the square fuse. Any of you think this is possible? It does roll to the right first everytime. I'm open for all the help I can get. Even if you think it might be a stupid idea please tell me anyway. hehe I put some pics in my gallery too. Thanks again guys.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:50 PM
RC-Captain

You may have already done so, but lateral balancing is almost a must when flying at these high speeds. I put a pipe on my Mach Racer and did not rebalance it laterally , and when fliing straight and level I noticed it gradually started to roll to the right which is were the pipe was sitting next to the hatch.

CAP.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:53 PM
europatc74

Andrewguy.. Did you balance the plane laterally ?? and are all your control connections tight ? My plane is a little unstable at lower speeds but at full throttle smooths out.....
Old 09-06-2007, 12:01 AM
[email protected]

Yes its balanced very well both ways. That was the first thing I looked at. I really love that you guys are trying to help! Thanks a bunch! It's really moving for a shrike it's size. A guy at our field just lost one the other day due to the wing ripping off. I put carbon spars and sheeted the whole thing because i planed on putting os 46 ducted fan engine in this. I will after i figure out this brick wall i cant get thru.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:10 PM
MikeMc

Here's the wing mod I did to my 15 sized. The stub spare was epoxied to the bulkhead and another piece to join the ends. Then I fully sheeted the half the span which transfers the load from stub spars to the sheeting and main spars. I don't think fully sheeting the entire span is required. The weakest point is the joint to the fuse.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16378.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	757643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74820.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	757644  
Old 09-06-2007, 05:47 PM
europatc74

Andrewguy... Maybe the retracts are upsetting the wind flow. Or it could also have just been a windy day. A few of my planes will get the wiggle if it's windy at the field.........
Old 09-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Just joined the club! Shrike 40 arf / OS55 for power! need a prop size now! any advice!?!

came with an 11x10 APC, ran fast, unlimited vertical but I want more! what can this OS55/Shrike combo handle?

thanks!
Old 09-08-2007, 09:08 PM
RC-Captain

what size shrike do you have this on ?

CAP
Old 09-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Shrike 40 ARF
Old 09-08-2007, 09:22 PM
RC-Captain

welcome to the club , I am not sure what the recommended prop is for this engine nor do I own one but a rule of thumb is to start with the break in prop then lower the pitch to obtain more speed . Today I was flying my Mach Racer, and went from a 10x6 to a 10x5 and almost broke the sound barrier with such a small change. Actually I didn't fly it yet with the 10 x5 but someone else did and I think he hit 100 MPH on a slight down slope WOT.

Cap
Old 09-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Strykaas

Generally speaking, you increase top speed by increasing the pitch AND lowering the prop diameter... The 10x6 was probably overloading your engine, Cap...
Old 09-09-2007, 08:21 AM
RC-Captain

I doubt it was over loaded. The engine is a OS .46fx. I will try some other props today to see how fast I can make the MR

CAP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.