Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Chief:

Elevator I've got just over 5/8" up and 1/2" down, with -50% Expo.

Aileron 3/8" inch both ways and -55% Expo.

This with a Futaba 6EX system. I don't use dual rates as I'd forget to flip the switch at the wrong moment.

Pics of my canopy install. I used a Sig 7", as I built mine from plans and didn't have one to begin with. I cut the molding flange down to about a 1/4", then used paper to trace the outline of the canopy at the bottom, then used the outline to cut a hole through my hatch. I sealed the covering down real good, then painted the inside edge of the hole black. Stuck the canopy in through the bottom, and glued a piece of 1/16" sheet balsa over it. Wicked a little CA in here and there through the hole on top so the thing won't move around.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz80018.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1334210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50833.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1334211  
Old 12-15-2009, 03:58 PM
KC10Chief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still working on my Shrike. I need to run to the hobby store and pick up a couple of things later. It's been snowing like crazy here. In the meantime, I submitted a suggestion to Great Planes, whom I understand bought all of Lanier's plans, and asked them to re-kit this plane! Maybe if enough people ask... who knows! Here's the link where you can submit a suggestion to them.
http://www.greatplanes.com/suggestion.html
Old 12-15-2009, 04:49 PM
FX4L2CX
My Feedback: (10)

I just sent in my 2 cents worth...lol.
here's a pic of my latest 40 build...almost done...I have to sheet the wings and decide if I'm gonna build up around the engine compartment or not....then the dreaded covering begins.

Name:	Jh15286.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	1335125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31233.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	1335126  
Old 12-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Mustang Fever

The best thing I ever did was to buy Faye Stilley's books, "Covering RC Airplanes", vol. I & II. The loonies at Tower have dropped them, but Vol. I is still available thru Air Age. You run into them now and then at LHS's, too.

https://secure.rcstore.com/pcd/eServ...N1YlRlcm09MA==

Old 12-16-2009, 04:26 AM
KC10Chief

ORIGINAL: FX4L2CX

I just sent in my 2 cents worth...lol.
here's a pic of my latest 40 build...almost done...I have to sheet the wings and decide if I'm gonna build up around the engine compartment or not....then the dreaded covering begins.

Very nice! Definitely build around the engine compartment! It looks great I think. Also, did you build that from scratch? It looks good! I'm definitely glad that I made my rear stab one solid piece. What motor are you using? My 46FX is a REAL tight fit, but I like it. I am using one of those Du-Bro quick fueler things. I installed it on the left side, right behind the firewall. If you've never used one of these before, they're a real life saver if you have a real tight engine compartment and can't reach your fuel lines. They're about $13 at my local hobby shop, and you just plug the little fitting into the side and start pumping gas! Piece of cake! I'm almost done! I got the throttle and elevators all hooked up and adjusted. I bought a new soldering iron and it helped greatly! My old one was giving me fits. All that I have left to do, is install the aileron servos and attach the canopy. I'm currently dying the canopy, but it doesn't look like it's taking the dye very well. I might just paint the inside. Here's some pics of my fuel port and engine compartment. You'll also notice that I drilled the hole for my fuel vent line behind the firewall.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:11 AM
FX4L2CX

This is a kit that I traded with a fellow club member for last year or so. I'll be puttin a K&B 7.5 ducted fan engine in mine with a tuned pipe. I started testing it on the bench a few days ago and so far I've gotten about 19,300rpm with a 8.75x8 apc. I took out the piston/sleeve last night and did a little modding to it and hopefully it will give me a little bit more rpm's.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Mustang Fever

That works out to just shy of 150mph, and over 6.5# of thrust. I presume you're going to use some really good, high torque, metal geaar servos on the ailerons and elevators, eliminate all slop in the linkages, seal the hinge gaps, color it something really visible, and pray a lot.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:58 PM
FX4L2CX

You presume correctly...what else is there?..lol. Even with all of the other aspects that you mentioned covered...I still think that praying presides over all of that!

I'm not sure if that program takes into account drag, slippage etc....do you know if it does? I was kinda thinkin in the 130ish range....Actually, I would be happy with anything over 130.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Mustang Fever

That's theoretical pitch speed that you are getting on the GROUND. With a low drag design like the Shrike, putting the nose down even slightly at full throttle will get you at least that, probably more. Say 160+. Hang onto your butt, and DON'T BLINK.

Didn't realize Joe Beshar's plans for the Speed 400 version Shrike are available from Flying Models. Item CD044. I built a couple of these and augured em in before I knew what I was doing. Might try another with a brushless 400 size and a LiPo.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 PM
FX4L2CX

My first 2 shrike 10's had an OS .32 in them, so I know what you mean....my newest shrike 10 has a cox/rjl .15 conquest in it....not quite as fast yet, but the trade off in handling and landing speed is a nice trade off. This shrike 40 should give me the high speed thrill of those first 2 shrike 10's again I hope.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Mustang Fever

Now, that Conquest 15 sounds like fun. I found it here:

https://shop.mecoa.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=61

I was wondering what I could use for a glow engine on the 10 size Shrike, as I never had much luck with my Norvel 074, which I trashed after the last time it bit me.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:54 PM
FX4L2CX

Yea, you can see my .15 conquest on post 539 I think...page 22 I think
Old 12-22-2009, 01:18 AM
KC10Chief

All done!!! This thing was fun to build. I have some plans for a .10 size Shrike. I'll probably build it before the winter is out. Anyways, everything is done. The servos are all installed and adjusted according to Mustang Fever's control throw and expo recommendations. Sounds like a good place to start and it looks right based on my modeling experience. All that I really have left to do, is clean up the excess glue that I used on the canopy, and apply some trim striping around it. My hobby shop is out of the trim stripe I'm looking for. It will fly fine without it. I also had to shorten Buzz Lightyear's wings by about 3/16" on each side to get him to fit in the canopy. I sliced off the little green pods, shortened the wings, and CA'd the green pods back on. Piece of cake. I like using these little plastic toys for pilots. They're light weight, easy to work with and they're cheap! I just sliced his legs off, and screwed and glued him to the canopy. The flight sticks he's holding are just some hex head bolts. I think I bought Buzz at Wal-Mart for around $7. The motor, the OS .46FX, last flew in early 2001 on a Sig Something Extra that met its end in a midair collision. The motor sat in a box, filthy and dirty until about a month ago when I took it apart, and cleaned it in my anti-freeze crock pot. I put it all back together. It's like brand new. After over 8 years of sitting in its own filth, I was able to fire it up tonight on the first flip. It runs like it was brand new! It's ready to fly. My club is having a fun fly on Sunday and it's supposed to warm up to 25 degrees! Should be a great day to maiden this baby! I also have a miniature key fob camera. Once I get a couple of flights on it, I'll take some on board video, hauling *ss around the field! WOO HOO!

Old 12-22-2009, 01:22 AM
FX4L2CX

TO INFINITY...AND BEYOND!

I'm almost done my 40 size now..... and my new 10 size kit I just bought is eyeballin my .37 heli engine.... that needs a home too ......[X(]
Old 12-22-2009, 01:28 AM
KC10Chief

I just realized that I bought this thing on the 2nd of this month. That's less than three weeks to completion. It builds quick! I could have done it in a week if I weren't so busty.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Mustang Fever

Looks great, Chief. Luck with it.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Mustang Fever

Chief:

A note for that first flight.

All the shrikes seem to end up with a little up trim for hands off flight. If it's not in there for the first hand launch, the bird will probably faceplant. Mine ended up with almost 1/4" up, measured at the elevator TE. Some of that is due, I'm sure, to having the wheels hanging below. Bottom line: put at least 1/8" up trim in yours before the first hand launch. If possible, have someone else launch it for you so you can stay on the elevator.

This is all due to the fact that because of the short moment arm, and the "almost delta" wing of the shrike, the CG is way forward of what a conventional model would use. The factory spot is 16% of the MAC. Because of this, some up trim is always required, referred to as "reflex" among the delta boys.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:58 PM
KC10Chief

Thanks for that tip! I'll have somebody help me the first time until I can get it all trimmed out. I'll give it some up trim too!
Old 12-23-2009, 10:36 AM
3D_Junkie

For my hand launched pylon planes I have "takeoff trim" on a switch. This trim adds a little up trim so the plane will always want to climb a little for those few seconds before I can get my right hand on the stick. Once both hands are on the transmitter and the plane is safely away, flip the switch and you are back to normal trim.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Mustang Fever

3DJ:

That's what I've got on mine for hand launching. I used the landing gear switch to mix about 1/8 of "up" beyond the normal trim setting.
Haven't tried it yet. Maybe this Feb at my club's snow fly.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:46 AM
KC10Chief

Awesome! You guys have been a great help. I got a switch on my Futaba 7C set up and it adds about 1/8" of up trim when set. It was the air brake function I believe. I just added enough to raise the elevator a bit, and then set the ailerons to zero so they don't move when I flip the switch. Piece of cake! I programmed it in to the switch closest to my right index finger. Sunday is the day! Hopefully, I can be patient that long! What props are you guys using on your 46 FX's? I have an APC 10x6 on there now. I think I'll start out with that and then move up to a 10x8. Also, where have you guys found the best spot to be for the CG? I have it set where the plans are calling for it at the moment. Just curious what adjustments you guys are making.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Mustang Fever

Chief:

I have the CG on mine a touch forward of the recommended point, maybe 1/16" or so.

I looked at the OS prop recommendations for the 46FX (in the online manual) and they are the same as for my 46AX. At sea level on 10%, I'm getting 14,000 rpm out of mine with a 10x6 APC. That's enough for about 85 mph and around 6 pounds of thrust. I don't think you'll have any problems with a hand launch with that kind of pull.

Can't wait to hear how it goes.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:19 AM
3D_Junkie

ORIGINAL: KC10Chief

Awesome! You guys have been a great help. I got a switch on my Futaba 7C set up and it adds about 1/8'' of up trim when set. It was the air brake function I believe. I just added enough to raise the elevator a bit, and then set the ailerons to zero so they don't move when I flip the switch. Piece of cake! I programmed it in to the switch closest to my right index finger. Sunday is the day! Hopefully, I can be patient that long! What props are you guys using on your 46 FX's? I have an APC 10x6 on there now. I think I'll start out with that and then move up to a 10x8. Also, where have you guys found the best spot to be for the CG? I have it set where the plans are calling for it at the moment. Just curious what adjustments you guys are making.
I don't recommend zeroing the ailerons when the switch is engaged. I usually end up fling a half pattern before I click the switch off. You are going to want to be able to use the ailerons during takeoff.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:15 PM
victapilot

Hi all

This is my plane which some think is a kit bashed Shrike. I received it as a broken plane and am third user. It was possibly set up as an electric pusher, hence the mods, but also has run a glo up front. I have put a 2820 equivalent outrunner on it and it runs great. Big advantage with elevon setup is there are no servos in the fuse. Lots of room for battery power. I wonder if elevons were more doable when the plane was designed, everyone would have them??

vic

Name:	Ay75989.jpg
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	1341132  
Old 12-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Mustang Fever

Vic-

Looks like someone "razorized" a shrike. Cool.

This and others are available at: http://www.kamodels.com/index.html

Name:	Sp45169.jpg
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	1341184  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.