Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Cool - that's an option if mine bites the dust!

I should mention that mine is 34.5inch wingspan version. I might build another from scratch if I get a chance

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let me know if you need the 40 size plans and templates- I can copy and ship them to you rolled in a tube for $25. That's what I built mine from, and it came out real nice. (The $25 is strictly costs.)
    Bob Hunt

\"Progress is marked by great smoking holes in the ground.\"
    -Gen. Chuck Yeager

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 3D_Junkie

I don't recommend zeroing the ailerons when the switch is engaged. I usually end up fling a half pattern before I click the switch off. You are going to want to be able to use the ailerons during takeoff.
    I meant that the flaps (ailerons) don't drop when I hit the switch. The ailerons still work! I'm not THAT dumb!
    Matt F. AMA #631697
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #115

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks! I'll let you know - For electric I like the 34.5in size. If I get around to it I'll sketch a draft and build another with elevons, but I'll make it more like the classic design to beef up the rear end. Then I can go with more power.

I was also considering a Funjet. They go real fast, there are some insane mods out there. I just don't like foam because it's harder to keep batteries cool

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WOO HOO! My maiden flight went great! The weather was beautiful. 30 degrees, partially cloudy and not a breath of air was moving. The OS .46FX fired right up and I dialed her in for max RPM's. Everybody landed and shut down to watch. Maybe so they could duck for cover if they needed to! I had a friend help me with the hand launch for the first flight. It flew right out of his hand. One click of right trim and one click of up trim and it flew like it was on rails! Fast too. Mustang Fever's control throw and expo suggestions were dead on. After a couple of circuits around the field, I was making some real low passes at full throttle down the runway. What a blast! This thing looks real cool in the air too! After a couple more flights, I'm concerned that my fuel tank might be too far back. When I pull it up to go vertical, it loses a lot of RPM's. I have an 8oz tank and the back of the tank is up against the F2 former. Also, this thing sure doesn't glide as well as my other planes! Cut it to idle and it's coming down! I took some on board video with my mini video camera. Once I get it edited up, I'll put it on YouTube and post it here.
    Matt F. AMA #631697

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chief: That's great They sure are fun, as you're finding out. Maybe did you set the engine too lean on the ground? I always peak, than back off a click or two, then put the bird nose up to see if the rpm picks up a little. If it doesn't, then it's too lean.
    Bob Hunt

-Gen. Chuck Yeager

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a link to the video I put on YouTube. My camera is one of those little key fob cameras. It takes pretty good video for being a $15 camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAmQaLwRD50
    Matt F. AMA #631697

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

video is a no go for now..."This video contains content from WMG, who has decided to block it in your country". You may want to try to put it on photobucket or something and try again..I sure would like to see it.
    Miss Vegas w/.18TZ , JAE 12 w/.18TZ
    Shrike 10 w/Cox/RJL .15 Conquest, Shrike 40 w/7.5Df, Shrike 10 w/RB .12 serpent.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's uploading to Photobucket now. I was reading about the WMG (Warner Media Group) thing. Apparently, they have some sort of deal with YouTube where it won't allow YouTube to play anything that has one of their songs in it. The song I used is owned by WMG. I paid my $.99 for it, but I guess that's not allowed. Anyways, my cable company decided that today is a slow day, so it is taking a while to upload to Photobucket. Come back in 20 minutes and I'll put the link up. Here's a couple of photos that a club member took today.

Matt F. AMA #631697

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Man, those wing tips and tinted canopy really make it look nice...great job...I should be so lucky with mine when I finish covering it.
    Shrike 10 w/Cox/RJL .15 Conquest, Shrike 40 w/7.5Df, Shrike 10 w/RB .12 serpent.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tinting the canopy is pretty easy. I have a few different size tupperware containers that I use just for tinting canopies. All it is, is Rit fabric dye. You can find it at any fabric store, and sometimes at Wal-Mart. Just mix it with really hot water. Not boiling, but as hot as your tap will make it. Mix it with the dye in the tupperware container and soak the canopy in it. They have all sorts of different colors. To get the color I used, I used black dye. Also, this stuff will dye just about anything including your hands and whatever you're wearing. Some canopies made by different manufacturers won't accept the dyes. Different plastics. Great Planes canopies all dye really well. The one from Lanier did too. Carl Goldberg canopies won't accept any dye what so ever. Anyways, here's the video.

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ke20091227.flv
    Matt F. AMA #631697

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pretty cool video there...it looks like it did launch very easily like you said and seemed pretty stable too...beautiful country up there..I've been thinkin about getting a camera for my planes and boats and such too..maybe one day.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's very beautiful up here! Lots of mountains and wildlife. It's incredible in the summer. Anyways, I bought my video camera on E-bay, brand new, shipped, for $15. It's a little key fob camera. I am seeing them on there now for less than $10, shipped. Here's a link to one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Key-Chain-Spy-Di...item3ca8b32d51
    A couple of guys in my club have ordered them too. They're great! It uses a mini SD card (not included). It saves the video in AVI format. I don't know how they make them so cheap, but for the price, it's great! I just tape it to my planes with packing tape. They ship direct from China. It took three weeks to get to me in Alaska. The instructions were written by somebody in China with a semester or two of English classes. But it's simple to operate. There's a whole thread dedicated to these things over on RCGroups. It's really lightweight too. People are putting them on little indoor foamies. I can't even tell it's there on any of my planes. If it falls off my plane, then I'm out $15. The video editing software is just the Windows Movie Maker. It comes with any computer that has Windows on it. Here's another video I took a couple months ago at the same field before we had snow. It's on my Dazzler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqlCwP2fEgI

Matt F. AMA #631697

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Matt: what a great flying bird. Shrikes rule, no question. Great video.

Strykaas: did you get a view of this?
    Bob Hunt

-Gen. Chuck Yeager

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice plane, great video too!

The liitle camera will interest a lot of folks. Good to have one at the field. I was hoping for some high speed passes, it looks pretty quick, Iwould do a doppler speed check! You just need to convert the AVI to a WAV and use the wavescope wosc21 program.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the link, I just ordered one for $13.38 shipped.....maybe I should have bought one for each plane at that price.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sure I did [8D]. Pretty cool :-)

Mine is still waiting in the closet , my Sport Jett .50 too.
    ProBro #2077
    http://image2-0.rcuniverse.com/e1/forum/upfiles/57402/Nl29490.jpg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dopplered today at 135km/h using Casio Exilim - MOV file converted to WAV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilYFG6-y9gk

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FX4L2CX

Thanks for the link, I just ordered one for $13.38 shipped.....maybe I should have bought one for each plane at that price.....

Yep! You'll like it. Here's a link to the thread on RCGroups. Lots of key chain camera videos on there! Lots of reading too at almost 1,500 replies!
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115052
    Matt F. AMA #631697

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well...here's the latest of the covering job...wouldn't you know it, I ran out of white Ultracoatjust before I could finish it and my local hobby store is out of white...I guess I'll have to wait a little longer to finish up.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz77514.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	1358729   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ok28710.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	1358730  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

woah! nice lookin shrike u got there!

here is some video of mine flying! the engine is running really rich...still needs fine tuning!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YkKb04H2s4[/youtube]

Heli

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks great! Couldn't tell the engine was rich with that brass band playing in the back LOL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey, nice thread!

Here's my Shrike 40. It's powered by an OS 40 FSR ABC engine. It turns a 10x6 prop around 12,200 rpm on 10% fuel on a stock muffler. I plan on using the pictured Macs pipe this spring.

Mine came out at 3 1/2 lbs. I added dual rudder control which makes for radical snaps and nice hammer heads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db85311.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	1367915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fb88074.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	1367916  
    No matter how many times I cut it, it's still too short!

Ultrasport Brotherhood #45, P-51 Brotherhood #34, P-40 Brotherhood #35, Saito Club member #799, Spitfire Brotherhood #173, Glow head #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice plane! That's a pitch speed of 69.32 bench. Wonder how fast it goes when unloaded?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks victapilot, I'm not familiar with pitch speed. Is that in mph? I haven't had it clocked but it's fast for me and I'm having fun with it.

I'm hoping the pipe will add about 1,000 rpm.

No matter how many times I cut it, it's still too short!

Ultrasport Brotherhood #45, P-51 Brotherhood #34, P-40 Brotherhood #35, Saito Club member #799, Spitfire Brotherhood #173, Glow head #18

Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast