Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Old 03-08-2009, 03:38 PM
europatc74
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SHRIKE CLUB # 1

Check out the May issue of Model AIRPLANE NEWS page 26 to see Joe Beshar's reengineered Shrike with an electric Duct Fan. Now called the Strike.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:09 PM
johnc1go
My Feedback: (9)

Shrike .10 No 3 is done. Not sure of weight, appx 3 lbs. OS .32 for power. Firewall moved 3/4 inch aft. Hardwood used for spars, TE, and horizontal stabilizer. Hitec 225 minis for direction and hs-55 micro for throttle. 600 mah nicad in tail section as ballast along with 3 oz of lead solder. AR500 receiver DSM2 controlled with DX7 transmitter. Color scheme is same on bottom as on top, may add additional decoration later if I have a problem with seeing it in the sky. Ultracote for covering, colors are Bright Yellow, Corsair Blue and Apple Green

This airplane is going to push my skill set to the max, I look forward to feeling the adrenaline.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44304.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1153807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82421.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1153808  
Old 03-09-2009, 12:34 PM
europatc74

Nice John. You may want to go with an APC 9x8 prop..Dave R...
Old 03-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love that color scheme, John. Good work.

I have totally switched to ultra cote. If I can't do a color scheme I like in ultra cote, I don't do it. Monokote sucks so bad by comparison.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:13 PM
johnc1go

Thanks fellas for the comments. Dave, I chose a wussy prop on purpose as I want to make sure I'm familiar with the new plane's flight characteristics before going totally balls to the walls, thanks for the advice, I'll use a more aggressive prop in the future.

Mustang, I totally agree with you on Monokote in that it sucks. I don't like the way color bleeds onto my iron or my work and I also don't like that I can't stretch the wrinkles out of it as easily.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:50 PM
RC-Captain

CLAP CLAP CLAP..........VERY NICE. now let the fun begin..........

CAP
Old 03-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Mike Baldwin

I finished mine the other day. Kept the sceme kind of simple, and used what I had for covering. I have a OS 45 FSR in the nose with the stock pipe for now, but after I get it set up I will put the tuner on it. What kind of speed should I get.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28133.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1154178  
Old 03-10-2009, 12:33 AM
RC-Captain

VERY NICE Mike ! I am not sure about the speed, but you should be close to 100 mph IMO.

CAP
Old 03-10-2009, 12:32 PM
johnc1go

Lookin good Mike, I'm with you on keeping the look simple. Have you flown a shrike before?
Old 03-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Mike Baldwin

I havent flown a Shrike before, but I do have a Sig Wonder. I would think it will fly somewhat simular to that plane. Any thing I should keep in mind on the first flight. I will have some else hand launch it for me. I also have it slightly nose heavy for the first flight. It will be a little while yet, we are getting up to a 16 inches of snow today and tomarrow, so it take that a while to melt. The field should be dry in 2 to 3 weeks.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike:

They are a lot more sensitive in roll, and don't hand launch near as easy. Have your buddy do it like a javelin thrower, and you'd be best to have a brisk headwind the first time, say 10-15 mph.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:50 AM
johnc1go

Mike, I hope you're using a computer radio. Along with being sensitive in roll, the shrike is very sensitive in pitch because it's short coupled. For elevator, you'll want low rates for flying and high rates for landing to keep the nose high. The control throws are written on the plans and are a good place to start.

If you're on the CG according to the plans, the plane will feel nose heavy especially at landing speeds and you'll want all the elevator you can get. Have your assistant close by for trim adjustments as you'll have your hands full just keeping orientation on your plane. In regards to orientation, DON"T TAKE YOUR EYE OFF THIS PLANE FOR A SECOND. I'm speaking from experience as I nearly lost my first one because I got distracted. Because of it's small frontal cross section, there may be times during routine flight that you lose sight for a split second, a good example of this would be when the plane is at your 11:00 position making a 180 degree left turn. When your turn is nearly completed, just before roll-out, you may notice the plane sorta disappears. This is because the only part of the airframe being presented to your eyes is the wing leading edge and the tail leading edges. Don't panic, just remember that you're in a left turn and allow the plane to continue until you see the sides again. You may have experienced this with your Sig Wonder, if so, you know what I'm talking about.

I have logged over 200 hours on a shrike .10 and attained a high level of proficiency with this design. If I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to drop me a line and that goes for anyone else who reads this as well. Happy flying fellas! Spring is just around the corner!
Old 03-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Mike Baldwin

Thanks for all the info, I hope the first flight goes well. I'll keep you all posted after I take it to the field.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:25 AM
themorses2000

Someone Pointed me here! Thank YOU! Hi! I am a new Shrike fan...just flew my first. A guy getting out of RC gave me one...Love IT! Now I want to build a spare. I will be seeing Ya!
Old 03-14-2009, 10:27 AM
RC-Captain

Welcome to the club .

WB
Old 03-15-2009, 07:52 PM
johnc1go

Maiden Flight yesterday of Shrike No.3 Got the engine running just right and tossed it into the wind at about 1/2 throttle. It was out of trim by a fair amount, wanted to bank right and dive. I climbed for altitude, throttled back a bit and had my helper start moving the trim tabs. Upon getting things trimmed out, I began to fly a left hand pattern to get the feel of it. After the first close flyby, I noticed a sound I didn't like. I made a couple more passes to figure out the sound and determined it was control surface flutter. I never got past half throttle the entire flight, but I can tell this thing is going to move quickly when I open it up. I put the nose into the wind, pulled back the power and made an uneventful landing. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the right aileron was a little sloppy due to the hole in the servo arm being just a little bit too big for the push rod. It's an easy fix and I'm looking forward to wringing it out soon.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:18 PM
crashpro2000
My Feedback: (16)

hope your next flight goes better,,still have not flown mine do to rain, wind,or work
Old 03-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Mike Baldwin

Seasons getting closer for me, in the 40s and 50s all week and all the snow is melted off the field. Just have to wait for it to dry up some. My club has our spring mall show this weekend so that will get some of the members ready to get out there. I have a bunch of planes to maiden: Shrike 40, Great Planes Super Decathalon 40, MoJo 40, Goldberg Cub aniversery edition, Hobbico Extra 300 bashed with a Phoenix models Sukhoi wing.

The Cub is a rebuild after a crash last year. The Extra I crashed and demolished wing and I cant find one for it. The Sukhoi I crashed and destroyed the fuse but the wing was OK. I got to looking at the two and with a little modifing they went to gether. Not sure how it will fly, but should be ok.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:46 AM
KC10Chief

Hello! I have always wanted to build a Shrike, but always had some sort of project going on. Does anybody know where I can get some plans? I want the smallest one that I can bolt a .46AX on to. Something fast. I'd search, but my stupid Alaskan cable internet is running extremely slow as usual.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:54 AM
RC-Captain

europatc74 is the man to see.

CAP
Old 03-23-2009, 10:48 AM
johnc1go

Success! After addressing CG issues and reworking aileron linkages, I had two good test flights. I had to add 2 oz of weight to the nose to counter the 3 oz of lead I'd placed in the tail before I covered the plane. Duh, I guess I should have just left well enough alone, oh well, I"m not going to tear into the tail section just to remove some weight. My main concern was aileron flutter, which is no longer present since I reduced nearly all play in the linkages.

After launch, I noticed right away the CG was better, the plane handled much more smoothly and had no tendency to pitch up when I reduced the throttle as before. I began making low altitude passes to listen for flutter and gradually increased power between each pass. After about 6 passes, I had the throttle wide open with no sounds of flutter. I'm satisfied with the performance so far as it's noticeably faster than my last shrike which had an OS .15CVA on the nose. I think now, I will begin to experiment with different props for max speed. Until next time.....happy flying fellas!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:22 PM
europatc74

Sounds good John. When building the shrike I construct a small hatch at the far back to install the battery and weights. That way I can get in there to make any adjustments. You could still cut a hatch back there if you wish to. With the OS 32 I run an APC 9X8 prop. Seems to work the best for me. My Shrike was clocked a 119 mph on a bad day. I built another Shrike and sold it to a friend along with a 32 I had laying around . Oddly enough, his plane was faster. Same engine , pipe and prop. I could hear that his engine was taching higher than mine. Guess I should have kept the engine. Dave R...

KC 10, Your plans were mailed out. You should have in a couple of days.....
Old 03-23-2009, 09:19 PM
KC10Chief

WOO HOO! Thanks! I can't wait!
Old 03-24-2009, 05:47 AM
johnc1go

You know Dave, that's a good idea, cutting a hatch. I think I'll do that at some point in the future, like after the plane has a few scuff marks on it. I can't bring myself to cutting into a brand new plane just yet[:@] I think if I could just get my battery pack forward, I'd be able to eliminate the heavy 2 oz prop nut inside the spinner.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:04 AM
europatc74

You might want to look into a Macs style black pipe for a few more rpm and a little less weight....Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.