Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

RV-4 & Rossi

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

RV-4 & Rossi

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 08:02 PM
caplock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RV-4 & Rossi

I have a Rossi 40,and was wondering what your opinion is about using this engine on the RV-4? I'm not a hot-dog pilot. I just like Sunday flying,perhaps with a little pizazz.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:30 PM
jlingrel

Default RE: RV-4 & Rossi

I've got an RV-4 with an OS 46AX. It is neither under or overpowered. I am considering putting an older OS61 FSR on it and see what happens.

John
Old 12-04-2005, 10:03 PM
caplock

John--this brings up an interesting point.It seems most of the "40 size" planes dont do well with a standard 40. Just think the Rossi might have enough to do the job.

Roger
Old 12-05-2005, 02:45 AM
jlingrel

I have been told that the new 46s put out the same power of a NIB 60 of 20 years ago. Since I just bought 3 NIB OS 61 FSRs, I am going to see if it is true. Two of the engines are the Gold Head Special Edition which shall forever remain in their boxes. I am not really familiar with the Rossi engines, have never owned one. I have had almost all OS and Tigres for the better part of 35 years.

John

Old 12-05-2005, 12:20 PM
caplock

Makes sense;The old K&B 40's we used back in the 70's were no match for the 2+ hp 40's & 46's of today. the wing loading can be made much lighter now also.

Roger
Old 12-05-2005, 12:54 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

jlingrel: Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have an OS .60 FSR that I bought new in 1974. Until last week, it had never been started. I mounted and started it and ran about three tanks of fuel through it (8 oz. tanks) and it is some kind of power house. Some folks on RCU argue that these may be some of the best, if not THE best engine, ever produced. Have you had experience with them or are the three you have now your first?
Max
Old 12-05-2005, 02:32 PM
jlingrel

I have a total of 5 of them. 3 NIB. I flew a Special Edition for 20 years on a KAOS and as soon as the airplane is restore, will fly it again with a new engine. I am trying to gather parts to get the old Special Edition restored. And you are right, it was probably the best 61 ever built

John