Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

new plane for .46 FX

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

new plane for .46 FX

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 08:35 PM
tsands
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new plane for .46 FX

I've got a .46 FX NIB I'd like to put in a plane. The problem is....... I can't decide what to get. I'd like something scale. I've got alot of sport planes so I've got fast and I've got slow, and everyting in between. Leaning toward a bipe or a warbird but ALL opinions are welcome.. BTW HAS TO BE A KIT NO ARF's Thanks in advance. ps I like the corsairs but not sure any are available in this size.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:33 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: new plane for .46 FX

How about a racer, like a Midget Mustang or a Rearwin Speedster? I was just up at the Jack Stafford Models site and saw them. See if there's something up there that might interest you.

http://www.jsmodels.com/

Bob
Old 12-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack Stafford has a variety of plane kits, HOWEVER, be advised that, unless they have changed recently, it is a "BUILDER'S" kit. Be prepared to re-engineer various parts of the kit/plane.

I did their Rearwin Speedster. It is a beautiful flying plane, HOWEVER, in order for it to work I had to move the firewall to have enough space for the engine. The fuel tank had to be built in (after SEVERLY 'hogging' out a couple of fuselage formers in order for it to fit and the strut mounts, while shown in ONE VIEW ONLY on the plans, were never even addressed in the instructions. There were also a number of other different items similar to this.

There are much better kits available than the Stafford kits.

As for a Corsair, they are a lot of fun, but they are a HANDFUL to fly. The closer to scale they are, the more hairy they are to fly.

Have you either considered a scratch built or having a kit cut ? There are a lot of excellent plans out there that can easily be enlarged/reduced to the size you want.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:58 PM
tsands
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I considered scratch building and am still considering it. I have every wood working tool known to man but I'm not sure I want to build for month's and month's considering I do do some woodworking from time to time. (If I find the time) Would rather have a kit. One other mitigating factor for this is I have no LHS near to buy balsa so would be MUCH more convenient to just buy a kit and have all right in a box. Scratch building is VERY intriguing because I get great pleasure from building. All wood projects are from imagination and not plans so maybe I should consider further, just dont want to have to order material several times or have a bunch left over. I'm recently married and have a wife to keep happy. She has a hard time uderstanding the cost of this hobby. Where would a person have a kit cut????
Old 12-14-2005, 11:22 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.laserlizard.com/right.html
http://lazer-works.com/info.html
http://www.gundersonaerodesign.com/lasercut.htm

these are but a few of the kit cutters out there. Many more. If you can find a major plan service they may be able to recomend a kit cutter also. Check the model magazine classifieds for more cutters. Some do "full" kits and some do "short" kits or both. Balsa can be bought from a variety of places in volume at reasonable prices too. I got my last order from Lone Star Balsa and was happy with it.
http://www.lonestarbalsa.com/contents/complete35.php

Bruce
Old 12-14-2005, 01:58 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Balsa USA Pheaton II Kit is a excellent flyer and has a low parts count and therefore easy to build. They fly much like the old Andrews Aremaster.

Enjoy,

Jim