Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

KAOS Engine Selection

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

KAOS Engine Selection

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Nitro Dew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KAOS Engine Selection

Hi All - appreciate any advice

I just received my first TH KAOS ARF - it's in beautiful shape, but I'm having difficulty selecting an engine. I want this plane to fast when I feel the need! I have an OS 46AX on another low-wing training bird and it's quick, but will another engine be faster plus give me other engine experience. What about the ST45, or the TT46 Pro? And what about tuned pipes? How about a 50 size engine or should I just get another OS 46AX and put a MAC pipe on it? Any help from you experienced folks would be appreciated!
Old 12-16-2005, 10:37 AM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Default RE: KAOS Engine Selection

I've had two Kaos and sold both after many enjoyable flights. To answer your questions I would go with the 46AX and if I wanted a bit more speed then I would buy a Performance Specialties [PS] muffler. I would not mess with the ST, but the TT46 would be good with the PS muffler. The TT and OSFX are close on power with the AX up just a little. You can spend a lot more money on other engines for just a little more power and IMHO the extra cost is not justified when the engines your looking at would be fine for your use. The tower muffler is a nice boost but is sort of big and fat, while the PS on my FX gave an instant 1100 rpm boost and looked good doing it. You may need a spacer/extension to go between the engine and muffler to clear the fuselage on an other than stock muffler.
FredB
Old 12-16-2005, 11:07 AM
bhole74

How about an OS 50sx, more power than a 46. My Kaos, kit built, has been clocked at 101mph by the Sherriff dept. with a 46fx.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:18 AM
XTOL

I have a kit built Kaos with a TT46 Pro on it and that is all the power it needs.
Its seriously fast spinning an APC 10 X 7 prop.

My flying partner has the Tower Kaos ARF with an OS 46 AX. He uses an
APC 11 X 6 on his and its every bit as fast as mine.

The two of us routinely have Kaos races and intimidate everyone else
out of the air. Great fun.

You dont need any more than a good strong 46 like the OS or Thunder Tiger.

Mike Hammer

Old 12-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Nitro Dew

Thanks guys, that's what I was hoping to hear!
Old 02-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put a Tower .75 in it.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:45 PM
wlcornelius

I just finished building a killer kaos from Birdie airplanes I have a 91 Supass 4 stroke in it an it hauls. 110mph plus using 30 % cool power.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What engine did you choose? Did you install a different engine mount and not use the one in the Tower Hobbies ARF? I have this sitting on a shelf in the garage, picked it up on ebay for $75.00. Let me know.

Thanks, Jim
Old 09-19-2006, 02:33 PM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is a little stale, but I just discovered this Sport Flying topic and am having a ball. I have a TH Kaos 40 kit that I built several years ago. With the kit came formers for a turtle deck making me think it is the same basic structure as the now unavailable Ultra sport! I went ahead and built the rounded turtle deck, used an old canopy from a CG Chipmunk and powered it with a YS .45 and tuned pipe. Have not clocked it, but the plane is very fast. Snap rolls at full throttle are scary. I also build a TH 60 sized Kaos powered with a ST 61 and pipe. Didn't like it near as much. Probably because it was my first foray into retracts and let me say that installing them in a plane not already designed for retracts is a bear. Ended up adding lots of extra weight and ultimately covered em up and bolted on a 4*60 landing gear I had laying around. I think the OS 46 is a great engine for the Kaos.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:15 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Well... The OS-50SX is noticeably more powerful than the 46FX or TT Pro-46... Although the OS's or TT would be fine-

A little gem IMHO is the K&B-48. Some others you may consider are the Irvine-53, Rossi-45/53 and MVVS-49

Never seen a Kaos I did not like-
Old 09-29-2006, 01:58 PM
buzzingb

I agree with the Tower 75 it will give you all the power you want for $90 and you won't have to worry with $60-$70 mufflers.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:28 PM
gipper6

Go with the new OS 55 and add the PS Pipe. That should do the trick.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:01 PM
wylieruneyjr

Have Kaos with 46 AX 10x7 prop its pretty fast and engine seems to be getting faster ever time I fly it . Like after 25 -10minute flights it is just now gaining power! I guess it really takes longer to FULLY BREAK-IN with these new synthic oils in fuel. Had no problems with CG with this combo. I would suggest TWO options. JETT ENGINEERING SPORT 50 at 17000 RPM [:@] or Maybe OS 55AX with UNDER SIZE PROP LIKE 10X8, FOR MORE rpm. [>:]