Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Which engine for a Bridi Aircruiser 60

The specs on the plane are as follows:

Wing span: 61 3/4"
    Wing area: 720 sq. in.
    Length: 51"
    Weight (approx.): 5 1/2 lb.

It seems like a .60 engine is too much for this plane. Would a good .40 or .46 be better?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Which engine for a Bridi Aircruiser 60

Better? I don't know what that means in this case. The Aircruiser 60 will fly on a 25 if you want. It all depends on how much reserve power you want.

Consider this: A 61 at half throttle burns less fuel, makes less noise and less vibration than a 40 at full throttle and gives the same power. And will last forever.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In this case, I am building the plane for someone to learn on and I want to make sure the engine is an appropriate match for the plane and for a beginner.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

According to the bridiairplanes.com website, the Aircruiser 60 is a .40 to .60 size airplane. Clearly a 40 would be better suited to training than a 60.

Are you his instructor? If not, you probably should ask him because his preference is more important at this stage than yours, mine or the student's.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't know who the instructor will be or even who the student will be. I am building this as part of the "Pay It Forward" threads in the Beginner forum. I am donating and building the plane and others are donating the engine, radio equipment and accessories. I am just about to start the build. The build thread is at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37...tm.htm#3751609. One of the contributors has a Magnum .40 and another contributor has an older OS .60 but I don't know which of the two engines would be more appropriate for its intended use.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh... Good idea. I've built more than one "Club Trainer" over the years.

I would recommend the 40.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Put an O.S. 55ax on it and you'll LOVE IT!!! I tried a 46 and it was underpowered. The 55 was perfect!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If anyone out there has a Joe Bridi Aircruiser 60 for sale. I'm in the market. Full kit, partially built, completely built, doesn't matter!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Always get the larger engine. A newbie learning to take off with a model that is underpowered is asking for trouble. A little too much elevator and; stall, crash, and it's time to rebuild. The first kit I built was a Top Flite Cub, .40-.60 size engine recommended. Not having much money at the time, I opted for the .40 size engine. BAD IDEA. On the first takeoff, I held a bit too much elevator. That .40 just didn't have the power for climbing out after takeoff. I never tried the smaller engine trick again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I fly mine with a K&B 61. It is just about the perfect match. The K&B weighs less than many .46 sized engines of today.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have had three - one from the kit and two scratched. ST61 in all three and a perfect match. Nice plane- May build another.
    Gosh, model airplanes are not a matter of life and death - they\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'re more important than that!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have a couple old K&B 61 engines that just keep on keep-en on! Finally had to replace the bearings. Treated right they will run forever. I run some castor in my fuel.Logair

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have a flying buddy who just built one of these and he flies it with an Enya 50 CX. You can't go wrong with an Enya! He really likes the plane and the power combo.
    Electric RC planes are like non-alcoholic beer, they are OK in a pinch if the real thing is not available.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have the kit in my attic and a brand new magnum 52 that I will put on it. Years ago I bought one of these at a garage sale with engine and radio for a hundred bucks. It had a super tiger 60 on it and it was a match made in heaven. Man that engine ran well. IIRC it had the dished head.

A really good 46 would probably be ok but just a little more power might be better. Here is a pic of the engine in one of my scratch built designs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-011S.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	1985411
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #142. WooHoo!!!
    BUSA Brotherhood #69.