Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

What you got to show for it???

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

What you got to show for it???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 04:04 PM
hooliganflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What you got to show for it???

Hi, I mostly fly 3D and I was woundering, what can a sport plane do, that a 3d, pattern or speed plane cant do? Can someone please tell me that there is more to sport flying that just flying in the pattern??

Regards
Old 01-10-2006, 06:04 PM
WCB

Default RE: What you got to show for it???

You're comparing apples and oranges and bananas. Each type plane has it's own qualities when flown as designed. You enjoy flying 3D and some just enjoy flying. As long as you have fun doing whatever type flying you do nothing else really matters.

WCB
Old 01-10-2006, 06:22 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My sport plane is the one that I do crazy things with. Its the plane that would not bother me too much if I crashed it. Its the one I use at fun-fly events.

For example:
Full throttle touch-n-go's
hi speed snaps
multiple spot landings in a 4ft circle
hi speed inverted flying down on the deck
snaps 5ft off the deck
limbo (3d planes are better but I like a challenge)

All these things I would not do with my specialty planes...
Old 01-10-2006, 06:34 PM
hooliganflyer

WCB, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was critisizing sport flying, I wasnt, I just want to know some good aspects to sport flying that might make me get a sport plane. Wildnloose, what plane are you reffering to in your post? sounds good.

PS:WCB, I completely agree to what you said about each one of us should fly what he prefers

Regards
Old 01-10-2006, 06:44 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Precision, grace and realism.

There is no reason for a 3D airplane to look like a real airplane, 'cause they sure don't fly like one.

But it's a hobby, right. I'll enjoy it my way and you can enjoy it yours. (As long as you don't hover over the runway.)

Jim
Old 01-10-2006, 07:02 PM
wildnloose

Sig Kougar
Rossi 45 turning 16.8k with a 9x6

Its an older kit, pretty heavy. But this is what makes it perform. Its rugged, likes full speed touch-n-goes and full speed snaps. Its the only plane I have that will take a full throttle dive without fluttering. It flies about 90-120mph but slows down to a crawl (built-in washout in the wing). I can land it anywhere (hit a 4ft spot 10 times in a row, no b.s.). What I like to do the most is bring it in with a nose-high landing. Looks real cool.

Oh, I forgot to mention 1 other important reason I fly sport planes. This is my windy day plane, the only one I trust in a 30mph gusty wind.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:05 AM
WCB

Hooligan,
No offense taken here, I guess I read between the lines and thought you were bashing sport flyers. There's no reason you can't fly all of the above. I have had 3D planes, sport and pattern.....I like it all!

WCB
Old 01-11-2006, 07:59 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hooliganflyer

... what can a sport plane do, that a 3d, pattern or speed plane cant do?
Look like a real airplane...

What do YOU want it to do? As I get older, I'm more into relaxation and easy flying. The 3D flip-flopping has never interested me, but I've had my share of super-agile planes. Still do, but their control throws are toned WAY down...

Currently, I'm very interested in these larger aerobatic planes that are semi-scale models of a real one. The big planes FLY, as opposed to the darting about that the little ones do. I too have a Sig Kougar, and fly it every now and then for grins. But once you've tasted a big plane, you're ruined for the small ones. And the bigger they get, the better it gets.

Your question is an open-ended one, guy; Ginger or MaryAnne? Blond or brunette? Boxers or briefs?
Old 01-12-2006, 02:21 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

3D is a bit of a myth. Many of the maneuvers considered to be 3D have been around for decades.

Just because an airplane cannot do all of the hovering/vertical maneuvers of 3D doesn't mean that the plane cannot perform aerobatics.

Sport planes are basically advanced trainers and are aerobatic.

Sport pilots are generally pilots not commited to any one discipline, be it 3D, pattern, combat, formation, scale, racing, multis, etc.

Many people have busy lives and are unable to practice frequently enough to compete. But these people still enjoy a spirited ship that does not require a very high level of proficiency to operate.

We all fly models for different reasons. Some seek self esteem, some seek relaxation, some enjoy the friendships. The planes you choose to fly are often linked to your purpose for flying.

Some of us are revolting against the precision and conformity demanded by the busy airspace system here in the USA. The very thought of flying an unscripted and spontanious flight is nearly a blissful dream.
On the other hand, some people have very mundane jobs and they seek to challenge themselves and to inject precision and performance into thier lives.

You have stated that you fly 3 D. May I ask what you get out of it ?
Old 01-12-2006, 05:31 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

hooliganflyer opined ...
Can someone please tell me that there is more to sport flying that just flying in the pattern??
"There is" Next question ... [>:]
It amazes me why different labels have to be put on various flavors of "fun" to the extent that the different flavors have to be justified in the eyes of somebody else. Hello?

Mike
Old 01-16-2006, 01:35 PM
hooliganflyer

Out of 3D I get the same thing that sport flyers get from sport flying... fun.

Regards
Old 01-16-2006, 03:04 PM
wildnloose

Ditto, it's all fun. I like to do it all (3D, Pattern, Sport, Speed, Leisure). Just like to fly.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:43 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why fly 3-D when there are Helicopters?

To each, his own
Old 01-17-2006, 09:31 AM
hooliganflyer

Oh no!, not the "if you want to hover get a heli" thing again. LOL
Old 01-17-2006, 11:44 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What I was driving at is - Your question is unfounded.

Why by a sailboat when there are motor boats?

Why fly a sailplane when you can fly a powered plane?

The point is, some people don't WANT to do waterfalls, and harrier landings, they want to FLY their planes, not just point them.

So to answer your question, with a sport plane, you can go up, fly around, do Loops, Knife Edges, Rolls, Spins, Flat Spins, Hammer heads, Etc. Etc. Etc.

You can also point a Cub into the wind and try to fly backward. Easy to do with a 3-D plane, not so easy with a clipped wing Cub

You can float in while side slipping your landings, and you don't need expensive servos, or complicated computer mixes to do it.

You can fly fast without worrying if your airframe can take it.

Bottom line - You can just go out and have fun

Isn't that what this is all about?
Old 03-02-2006, 02:42 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

It all comes down to what each individual considers "fun". The stress of 3D flying does not interest me in the least. And the only way it isn't stressful is if you REALLY don't care whether or not you destroy your beautiful airplane. Some people enjoy the challenge of that gorgeous airplane hovering 2 feet off the ground and if the engine coughs, it makes Tower Hobbies very happy. And for those who enjoy it, may the RC gods smile kindly at them.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:19 PM
johnc1go
My Feedback: (9)

I can relate Hooligan, I think my first love is 3D flying but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy other types of flying as well. I have different planes for different moods. I own a Shrike when I want to go fast, I have pylon racers when I want to compete, I have a UCANDO for 3D, I have a SPAD for practicing 3d manuevers that I'm to scared to try on my UCANDO, and I have a plane which I don't know the name of that I picked up a at a swap meet which does traditional aerobatics very nicely. I even have powered glider when I feel like just being lazy and sitting on a lawn chair. Here is what I call the "No Name Plane" It's nothing much to look at, but it flies good. Oh yes, an d I still have a trainer that I give flight instruction on, so for me, it's all about the fun and sharing it with others. Just want spring to hurry up and get here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64596.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	418960