Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

First aerobatic machine: what?

Old 01-30-2006, 10:57 PM
jigeye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default First aerobatic machine: what?

New to sport and flying trainer good. Would like to get into basic/intermediate aerobatics. Have a futaba spot 6a with servos. Any models you recommend that I could use my radio equip and not be out a ton of cash? Also have 0sx .40 engine in trainer.
What is the profile category mean?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:04 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: First aerobatic machine: what?

The stiks, like the Sweet Stick or Ugly Stick are very good advanced trainers/ aerobats. They offer low landing speeds. Stiks aren't as popular as they were in the 80's and early 90's. thats a shame really. They are excellent 2nd or 3rd planes. One hint. Dihedral kills thier performance. I would recommend zero dihedral. That way the plane stays in the attitude you place it and has no tendency to roll level at all.

The Super Sportser is a great intermidiate aerobatic airplane. It is capable of high and low speeds and is very responsive through out the speed range. It might seem a little hot at first and difficult to slow down, but it will actually fly great at low speeds in the hands of an experienced pilot. that might be just a little too hot for you.

Many people rant and rave about 4 Star aircraft. I test flew one a few years ago and was not impressed. Although it might be fun for you now, it won't be next year. The plane is much more limited. However, it appears to be easy to build. And is probably the tamest of the planes I have mentioned.

Profile catagory ? Well, some planes are just that. Imagine you cut the side view of an airplane out of a piece of wood. That would be your fuselage. The wing is normal, but the fuselage has no "inside". Equipment is either placed in the wing center section or strapped to the fuselage side. These are extremely easy to build. They are cheaper. They are generally lighter and offer greater performance due to their light weight. But they don't look as nice.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:07 AM
tsands
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like the Phoenix Models Sonic Low wing trainer. If price is important it's only 75 bucks and is quite aerobatic. My flyin buddy put a TT .42 in his and it fly's great. Mine has an OS .25 FX and needed nose weight so your .40 would be nice in it. His .42 doesn't seem to overpower it at all. It's tricycle gear so can be used as a second plane quite easily. Iv'e had mine for about a yr now and it's still going strong. Tough little plane, give it some thought. I also have a Super Sportster MK II that I LOVE would be nice, but as stated before it's a little hot. Biggest problem with the SS is the kit is discontinued and the ARF is just plain UGLY.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:13 AM
perttime

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any reason not to get a .40 size "pattern plane" like the Cermark Javelin or Camodel Epsilon 40 ???

They are supposed, by definition, to fly in a predictable manner.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:02 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My second plane was a Goldberg Tiger 60 with an OS 61. It is a great performer and yet easy to fly and land. It is a large plane so it is easy to see but slow enough that you can get used to flying sport planes with aerobatic capabilities very easily. Another is the Four Star 40. I have both, both fly great. I also have a 40 size pattern plane.. well, had one.. RIP. I destroyed it this past weekend in a disorientation mishap. But, it flew just great. Straight and predictable.

DS.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:16 PM
Campy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The "old standby" - SIG 4 Star or Tiger II.

Another one you may want to investigate is the World Models Rambler 30. I have an OS 52 4 stroke in mine and it will perform standard aerobatics (not 3D ). If you hold a little down elevator, the plane will knife edge as long as you want it to. The Rambler 30 is also a "floater" - lands nice and slow and has no bad habits.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:02 PM
tonystro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In addition to the Sticks, Tiger II, 4 Star and Rambler, you might also consider the Midwest Aerobat. The ARF version offers tricycle or conventional gear, with all parts in the box.

I've had and flown all of these except the Rambler. Each has it's good points and its' weak points, but all are good second aircraft.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:04 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I reviewed the Aerobat a few years ago, and I have to agree that it is outstanding, and the price is right too!
Old 02-02-2006, 04:25 PM
red head

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I fly the Midwest AeroBat all the time and love it. Mine have an OS 52 on the taildragger and a Sato 56 on the trike. Super planes and right now they are on sale (heck of a deal ) through www.falcon-trading.com. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 02-02-2006, 08:11 PM
jrbmoto

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If your looking to build something, you can't go wrong with a four star. Very simple contruction, and a great performer! If you want an ARF, I would suggest a Graduate .40 by Cermark, I saw one at the feild recently and it looked a lot better in person than the picture in the ad. And I was really impressed with how it flew, so much so that I'm seriously thinking of picking one up for myself!
Old 02-08-2006, 10:30 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I also had the Tiger 60 and absolutely loved it!! Very capable and graceful flyer that can do all but the very advanced stuff. Super Sportster is another one that is a good choice and of course the Sticks!!!.....The new Hangar 9 Ultra Stick is definitely in my sights in the near future!!
Old 02-09-2006, 08:04 PM
DVI

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I vote for the Hangar Nine Ultra Sticks as well, Best flying planes for min-cost!
Old 02-13-2006, 07:07 PM
driedjello

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Whew, I am a little nervous now! I am putting a CAP 242 (40 size) kit together from Great Planes as my first true acrobat. It will have a Saito .82. Maybe this is too much plane for me. I have flown the wings off my supersportster and love it to death. I must agree with the comment that she is really really fast. I was shocked by how long it took to lose lose velocity for landings as she slices like a pylon racer. Good luck on your selection and I have seen the stiks fly really honestly!