Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Just finished a Vortex wing.

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Just finished a Vortex wing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:10 PM
John Baligrodzki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just finished a Vortex wing.

Here are some pictures of my Vortex wing. I got the idea or I should say I copied it form the March issue of Fly RC magazine. On page 38 and 39 they show the original model for a very low aspect ratio aircraft as a design that will fly at a very low airspeed and not stall. Since the design is very simple and all the basic specifications were listed it was a simple plane to build. Span is 24" with a 30" chord. Aspect ratio is .8. OS 61 up front. Pink foam wing with built up surfaces. CG at 28% MAC. Covered it with Ultracoat. Weighs at most 5 lbs. Looking forward to the first flight once spring arrives in Minnesota.

Looking at this my wife said where is the rest of the airplane?

When you are flipping through the airplane magazines you should be on the lookout for interesting ideas like this. While it remains to be seen how it will fly, lately I tend to skim the magazines as the creative content is much less than it was before the ARF craze. At least in the area of scratchbuilt unusual planes like this. I am glad I was paying attention and thought, hey this would make for an interesting build.

Regards,

John B.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56011.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	417703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93195.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	417704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55333.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	417705  
Old 02-28-2006, 10:32 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Just finished a Vortex wing.

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Cool looking "thing"

Please keep us posted on the first flight.

Ken
Old 03-01-2006, 10:29 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Just finished a Vortex wing.

It should be maneuverable. I'm sure you will enjoy especially as you came up with the idea.

Enjoy,

Jim