Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

What's your favorite beater plane?

Old 01-08-2007, 08:44 PM
simhatus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: What's your favorite beater plane?

Hi

Currently an all built up lightened yamamoto pictured with my scaled down version.

Simon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65538.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	593952  
Old 01-09-2007, 12:49 PM
pat.r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

mine is a gee bee kit tiger moth with a os 46 weighs 4 pounds and has unlimited vert. can do any thing that you want to do.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Bill Martovich
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought this ACE Big Bingo for $200 bucks . It was covered with cloth and is so bloody strong . Ive crashed it 7 times and only nicked up the wing tips. I have broken the fueslage in 1/2 several times , but each time was a easy fix. One of my crashes was so notable they gave me a trophy for it. I misjudged a landing and flew it into a fully loaded 55 gal drum garbage can. The Bingo just knocked it over and sat on it. No damage. I just recently desided to re cover the wing as it was getting a little dog eared from all the crashes. I saw where it's stregnth come from. The entire wing is made of Plywood with a 1/2PVC pipe for a leading edge. If you want a big easy to fly plane I recomend one of these, virtually bullit ptoof.

Bill
Old 01-17-2007, 11:51 PM
danmilo
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, when I built kits my favorite was the Bingo 60. Just a wonderful flying plane with lots of glide and plenty of fun. I had well over 100 flights when the switch decided to fail. I noticed it didn't like to fly itself very long. Nice spinner, one-point landing though! I don't think I found enough pieces of the K&B 65 to make a spoon![X(]

For ARF's I love the Great Planes Slinger. EPP foam and flies great. Stick a 11.1 v lipo in it and use the heck out of the stock speed 400 can motor. For $49.00 bucks and about an hour of work you have a great flying plane. I use it to keep the rust away and to keep my dogs exercised. They just love to chase that plane. I fly it slow and they probably think they are close to catching a goose in flight.[:@]

We have plenty of the real ones stopping by on migration.

Dan
Old 02-07-2007, 09:38 PM
SPLIT S

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just love to fly the wheels off my Falcon III. It's a ball in the air -very suprising the punishment that plane can take and still come back for more.

Dan

Name:	Pn37185.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	616138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31224.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	616139  
Old 02-09-2007, 12:00 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TELEJOJO

My Hanger 9 Ultra Stick 40,I have flown the cover off of it in places and it still keeps flying.I may recover it one of these days.
That's become my favorite beater plane as well. Winter flying, on floats, or in wind that I wouldn't risk anything else...this things fills the bill. Was good with an OS 50SX, even better now with a Saito 82.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:37 AM
zac dady

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Balsa Usa smoothie the greatest sport flyer I've ever owned. I told the old buzzards at the field when i was seventeen years old they will never quit making this plane they did. But I have seven kits of it. I learned everthing i know about how to build a plane because of this model. Sand carve sand carve But in the end it was well worth it.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:34 AM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In order, each following the other after there demise.

Sig 4 Star 40
Twist 40
Aresti 40
Goldberg Skylark (Hands down the absolute best all around fun beater on my list)
Ultra stick 40
MoJo 40 (great horse around goof off, try anything plane) Still active and flying.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:16 AM
dougtx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

SIG Kougar is hard to beat for an all around sport plane. My favorite high wind plane, I have flown it in 35+ mph winds. SuperTigre 75 for power, 100+ MPH but will slow down for nice controlled landings.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:52 PM
bigugly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dougtx

SIG Kougar is hard to beat for an all around sport plane. My favorite high wind plane, I have flown it in 350+ mph winds. SuperTigre 75 for power, 100+ MPH but will slow down for nice controlled landings.
If you fly in a tornado you should put your antenna down so you dont get stuck by lightning
Old 04-07-2007, 08:38 PM
dougtx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

350+ now that would be something to see!!
Old 05-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Rayderluvr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

SIG Kougar is hard to beat for an all around sport plane. My favorite high wind plane, I have flown it in 35+ mph winds. SuperTigre 75 for power, 100+ MPH but will slow down for nice controlled landings.
ST .75 on a Kougar? WOW!

My favorite beater wa a Sig Kougar that a guy gave me when I bought a PT-20 (w/futaba radioa and OS .320 FP) and a Airtronics VG 6, and a Fox .40 from him...threw in the kougar for free.

I in stalled teh Fox .40 and VG 6, LOVED IT!!! I got crazy with that plane, at demonstrations I would do full throttle inverted passed at knee level, and once I drug the landing gear through some tall grass at WOT .......that is when my cousin (and the guy that taught me to fly) came to me on the flight line and said "Dave, you don't have to crash your plane to impress these people...."

Alas, the plane is no more, was flyin at a demo on July 4th a few years ago, the wing foldedwhile doing a tight loop.....

I aguired another, put an Enya .40 that someone had given me, motor died in maiden voyage too far away to get it back to the runway.

I have recently aquired another, am putting a TT .46 on it, hope to find time to fly in next couple of weeks. (I have not flown for 7-8 years, getting back into it again.......)
Old 05-01-2007, 09:36 AM
dougtx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You know, I think there is something built in a Kougar that forces people to do inverted low passes. At first I thought it was just me, and liking to do inverted low passes, but it seems that most people flying a Kougar at one point or another ends up with the wheels on top going 100mph 12 inches off the runway.

I thought about getting crazy and putting a ST 90 on it since the weight is the same as the 75 and adding retracts, but just haven’t had the opportunity yet.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:40 AM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OMP 50" 3D BIPE... does it all with a SAITO 1.0!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:23 AM
stinger40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I used to have a Midwest Super Hots as my beater. I kicked myself for selling that one off. It's still at our field, it's somebody else's beater now. I've made a couple of offers to get it back, but they won't sell it. [>:]

Ken
I just got one of those! My father and I are getting it flying. Hope it flys good!

I don't have any nitro beaters. I have a GWS Zero beater, though. It flys really nice, though. I think I might be upset when it crashes. [] The airframe was just given to me and I put all my gear into it.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:44 PM
busted2props
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The ol' doc Matthews 4-40. Good ol' sport plane. Takes a beating and keeps on ticking. Crashed countless times, patchwork covering, broken tailwheel that is now just a skid. Still flies great...
Old 05-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I recently noticed a plan article in the Feb. Model Aviation about the Matthews 4-60. Looks very interesting. Any pics of your 4-40?
Old 05-25-2007, 08:17 AM
iglowhead
My Feedback: (192)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My beater is a GP Big Stik 40 ARF, the white one with the blue, yellow, and gray graphics. It definitely qualifies as cheap. I picked it up at a swap meet for $40.
It was built as a tail dragger but had never been flown. Even had 3 servos and the engine mount and fuel tank were installed.
I put an OS .46 on it and it flies great. It is my second one. I flat wore out the first one.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:58 PM
on pipe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Older than dirt Lanier Comet. It's a junkyard dog with the tailpiece from an Avistar trainer grafted on back. The front of the foam wing has been "scalloped" by losing a battle with an electric pole. Powered by a raspy old .46 MDS that I just can't seem to kill. I almost threw it away a couple months ago after its last wreck, but the engine still runs and... Ross
Old 07-19-2007, 03:55 PM
maddog 71

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My favorite beater is the great planes spacewalker with asp 91 in it its the first plane I take out every season was the first one on floats {and the first one to crash on landing on water fliped over } was a freeby the guy was going to throw it away cause he didnt use it I love this plane very good lazy flier and can land really short
Maddog

Name:	Om34101.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	726319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55866.jpg
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	726320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55778.jpg
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	726321  
Old 07-19-2007, 10:33 PM
timmy45140
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used to use my Great Planes Venus 40 with a ST 75 as my beater until it got shot down during a low inverted pass by a rookie not paying attention. The wing is still good though, minor tear in covering when the wing came off. Now I use my ancient Model Tech Trainer 40T with an MDS 28 pro with rudder and elevator. One of these days I'll get around to putting on the optional ailerons. Or for a little more fun I'll take out the Global 25 size Spitfire with an OS 40 FSR.

Tim
Old 07-20-2007, 01:04 PM
scottrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Goldberg Skytiger. Built with no dihedral in the wing, fully sheeted wing and tail, an extra 1" added to the rudder, and a hot .61 with tuned pipe on it. Covered with scraps of monokote, duct tape, and old presidential campaign bumber stickers. It was coyote ugly and as heavy as a fat lady at a Sunday buffet but would outfly anything at the field.

Ran like hell, would flat spin, fly inverted, do pattern, and take a pounding and keep flying no matter how windy it was.

I had to retire it last year when the fuse came apart in about 3 dozen pieces as I took it off the shelf to go flying. All the glue joints just gave out. The plane was built in 1982 and died peacfully in my shop.

I have a lot memories with that plane. Took it on many trips around the country either tied to the roof of the car or crammed in the back of a truck.

I picked up another kit on ebay and hope to build it like my old one.

Right now, my beater would be a Tower Kaos. Another plane that I can fly on seconds notice, is cheap, flies without any trimming, and is as reliable as a bird dog on opening day.

Scott
Old 08-06-2007, 04:09 PM
bigdanusa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

At the moment I love beating my SSE around along with my Goldberg Piper Cub

Both have OS 46 AX's and they fly great!

Name:	Om32584.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	737075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31178.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	737076  
Old 08-19-2007, 07:53 AM
shane.barton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My Avistar equipped with an OS 46 AX and converted to taildragger is my fail safe fall back plane. I got all control surfaces turned wayyy up and it's a blast to throw around. I call her ol' Blue (she's still in her original covering though).
Old 08-20-2007, 08:04 AM
outdoorhunting

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

4*60 Had mine yeah, had it, for 2 yrs Super tiger 60 It would fly in about ANY wind & forgive all but the extremely stupid stuff that I'd try Untill I came out of a low alt knife edge inverted OOPS!!!! Nothing left but motor & electronis. Just built a Superspotster 60 w/ a Supertiger 75 ,shortened the wings 1 bay. Flew Sat. in 15-20 knots, other than a slight tendency to stall at low rpm it almost floats like the 4*

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.