Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Another Hots!

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Another Hots!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:05 AM
AlphaWhisky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another Hots!

I was going to open a new post on the Hots, but figured I might as well ask some questions here.... I`m looking to build a new sport aerobatic model and the Hots, in some form has interested me for a while. I have a set of MAN plans here for a 54" span 'Super Hots' which details an ST G.61, but I won`t be building that - mostly because I`m currently flying a good O/D .60 powered aerobatic model and don`t have a spare engine of that size.

I do have an OS 25 FX currenly unused, also an OS 40 FSR - and also one each of ST 2500 and ST 3000. I`m open minded as to a Hots to use any one of those, but must admit big rather than small appeals right now.

How many 'official' size versions of this model exist? By that I mean plans for how many different size versions have been produced...? Is there a plan in existence for a larger model that would handle one of my big ST engines? How does it vary from the MAN Super Hots plan? My research to date suggests some models are one piece - others have removable wings etc etc - it`s all rather confusing at this time.

I'm quite capable of producing my own plan for a 'big' (or small) version based on the MAN plan, but if the work has already been done I`d be interested to learn what feaures or differences are involved or recommended.

Is anyone with experience on this able to advise or maybe wish to correspond in order to see this to a practical conclusion....

Thanks ,

Alan W

Old 08-01-2009, 05:56 AM
azalner
My Feedback: (8)

There were four basic Hots designs.

Hots for .25 to .45 engines
Super Hots for .60 size engines (the best IMO)
Ultra Hots (81" wing span)
Big Hots

There were also a number of variants (bipe, electric, etc)

The Hots and Super Hots were designed with fixed wings. Midwest kitted the Super Hots with a removable wing but it was a dog compared to the fixed wing version. (extra weight)

I have built and flown the Super Hots and Ultra Hots. The Super Hots is powered by a Saito .80 and is a blast to fly.

I built the Ultra Hots with a 76" wing and powered it with a Saito 1.50. I was very dis appointed with the result. I am in the process of re-fitting the Ultra with a 40cc gas engine.

All plans are available from Model Airplane News plans service.

Al Z
Old 08-01-2009, 06:14 AM
AlphaWhisky

Hi Al,

Thanks for your reply - that does throw some light on it. There are a couple of Super Hots models flying at my (new) club here in Australia. Both have been modified to have removable wings, and both fly pretty well.

I`ll go and see what infor I can glean from MAN on these. What was the problem with your 76" version. How did you lose the 5" in span...? I overlooked to mention I also have an OS 1.60 going spare right now - maybe that can be brought into play.....

Alan W
Old 08-01-2009, 07:39 AM
AlphaWhisky

Further to my previous post here, I have perused the MAN website and see they offer an 'Ultra Hots' at 81" span and a 'Big Hots' at 91" span.

Is anyone able to advise whether these are actual Dan Santich plans or someone else`s take on the base design?

Is one plan just a blown-up version of the other, or are they different designs?

If they are different designs, what are the basic differences and is one preferable to the other?

I assume both these would have removable wings..... do they have one-piece or two-piece wings?

Alan W
Old 08-01-2009, 10:45 AM
skeeter_ca

Both have removeable wings. The Ultra and Big are all Dan's designs but are basicly just the smaller hots but blown up to a bigger size. And both have one piece wings. I have heard of a few people making them two piece wings but not sure what effect that had on them. The Ultra might work with the ST3000 but if anything it might be alittle enemic. The ST2500 is probably a little to big for the Super.

skeeter
Old 08-01-2009, 11:05 AM
azalner
My Feedback: (8)

The problem with my Ultra Hots was that the Saito 1.50 just did not have enough power to fly it like its little brother. As I said, I am in the process of installing a 40cc gas engine. Also, the Saito was a fuel guzzler, and at $US25.00/gal it was cost prohibitive to fly. It needed 12 oz. of lead on the firewall to balance.

Dan Santich designed the plane with a 81" wingspan to be IMAA legal. I could care less. I wanted a faster roll rate and it just fits into the bed of my truck. If I had to do it all over again I would have made the wing two piece.

The ST3000 will fly the Ultra but I suspect you will be disappointed in the performance.

Al Z
Old 09-12-2010, 04:47 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the 48 hour Hots from post 1 of this thread finally bit the dust. Flying with the .46 AX, this airplane is FAST! And today as I pulled out of a screaming dive and was just passing in front of myself, the plane started a slow roll to the left. I had no control. Of course it was at full throttle and I had nothing. It slowly rolled to knife edge, dropped the nose and hit nearly vertical.

After I pulled the pieces out of the ground, I saw the back of the firewall about 2" below ground level. I could see the muffler but I couldn't even wiggle the engine. I finally had to go home and get a shovel to dig the engine out of the ground.

All four servos were destroyed, the battery pack had one cell crushed and bent over and the fuel tank was literally blown apart and skewered by the servo rail. All the wood from the front of the fuselage was soaked with glow fuel from the spray when the tank ruptured and the tank didn't have a drop of fuel in it.

After digging the engine out of the ground and digging the dirt out of the engine, to my surprise it was undamaged except for a bent needle valve mount which was easily straightened with a few taps of a ball peen hammer.

I have built six Hots' but one wasn't for me so this was my fifth Hots. I guess the next one will earn the number six on the tail! Time to start cutting another kit, I just happen to already have a set of wing ribs cut. This one will not be built quite as quickly as the last.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40221.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	1499390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59403.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	1499391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61638.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1499392  
Old 09-21-2010, 10:50 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

My hots was destroyed in a shallow dive when the elevator fluttered right at the point I was going to pull level for a low level high speed pass. It hit the ground at a shallow angle, and dug a furrow 2" deep and 2' long. The spinner and engine stopped about 50 yards away, unharmed, and the wings landed about 20 feet away. The throttle servo was inside the, still full, tank and an aileron had stuck in the ground with the top 1/3rd of it broken off and hanging down by a piece of monokote, in a makeshift cross, right at the end of the furrow. It basically dug its own grave and placed its own cross.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:49 PM
john josey

ORIGINAL: dbacque

Well, the 48 hour Hots from post 1 of this thread finally bit the dust. Flying with the .46 AX, this airplane is FAST! And today as I pulled out of a screaming dive and was just passing in front of myself, the plane started a slow roll to the left. I had no control. Of course it was at full throttle and I had nothing. It slowly rolled to knife edge, dropped the nose and hit nearly vertical.

After I pulled the pieces out of the ground, I saw the back of the firewall about 2" below ground level. I could see the muffler but I couldn't even wiggle the engine. I finally had to go home and get a shovel to dig the engine out of the ground.

All four servos were destroyed, the battery pack had one cell crushed and bent over and the fuel tank was literally blown apart and skewered by the servo rail. All the wood from the front of the fuselage was soaked with glow fuel from the spray when the tank ruptured and the tank didn't have a drop of fuel in it.

After digging the engine out of the ground and digging the dirt out of the engine, to my surprise it was undamaged except for a bent needle valve mount which was easily straightened with a few taps of a ball peen hammer.

I have built six Hots' but one wasn't for me so this was my fifth Hots. I guess the next one will earn the number six on the tail! Time to start cutting another kit, I just happen to already have a set of wing ribs cut. This one will not be built quite as quickly as the last.

Dave
That first picture is impressive, i dont think i`ve ever buried an engine that deep before.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:33 PM
gilanne
My Feedback: (4)

A friend just finished an Ultra Hots from Model Airplane News plans. We split the ailerons to allow a crow mix. The power is supplied by a RCGF 45. Radio is a Spektrum 8, Weather and a foot of snow have not allowed a first flight.

Name:	Sq48072.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1555452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11169.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1555453  
Old 01-29-2011, 07:20 PM
glowplug50

The 40 size was a blast with a 51, I had several of the super Hots and loved them all. The best combo I had was with a Super Tigre 75 and Mac pipe. It was the best palne I ever had in my RC yeears. It was vertical until you tired of it and it would it would float at idle into a decent wind like one of todays fun fly planes. No dog there. It has a very thick airfoil so it takes a bit of horsepower to get them flying high speeds. The ultra hots never looked correct dinendion wise. It was too nearow. Flew great ith G38.
The Big Hots needs a G62 or similar. It is a great plane.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:39 PM
B Shipp
My Feedback: (13)

Just finished a Super Hots from the Midwest kit. Power is a O.S. AX .75. No radio install yet, but hope to have it ready soon....

Name:	lj21971.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	1560499   Click image for larger version

Name:	zx71613.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	1560500  
Old 02-08-2011, 05:48 PM
glowplug50

You will love this plane. If you have a programable radio, almost all are these days, then use 2 servos for the aierons and put them on seperate channels so you can use them as flaps (very seldom) or for spoilerons , lots of fun with this set up. If the wing is already done then just mount them side by side in the center of the wing or if the wing is still open, put one out in each wing pannel for less slop.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:30 AM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

ORIGINAL: B Shipp

Just finished a Super Hots from the Midwest kit. Power is a O.S. AX .75. No radio install yet, but hope to have it ready soon....
Nice work. What is it covered with?
Old 02-12-2011, 03:28 PM
B Shipp
My Feedback: (13)

It's covered in Monokote. I have been reading a few threads about people having trouble with Monokote, but this went on without a problem.