Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Four-Stroke for Four-Star 40

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Four-Stroke for Four-Star 40

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Wonder
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four-Stroke for Four-Star 40

Several years ago I built a Sig Four-Star 40 with an OS.46LA. It was my second airplane and first low wing. I think it was a good combo to learn on. Now I am going to build a new one with a 4-stroke. I am thinking of using a Saito 56 or 72. I am not one for over-powering a plane, but I usually use the biggest the mfg recommends. I think the 72 may be a little much, but I don't know if the 56 will give me an aaawwwesome performance. Anyone else use either of these engines in a 4*40 or similar plane please let me know what you think.
tw
Old 09-13-2006, 12:38 PM
meaden

Default RE: Four-Stroke for Four-Star 40

I've got an O.S. FS-52 Surpass turning a 12x6 on mine. Pulls great, sounds great. Plenty of power for a 4.75 lb plane.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I would probably opt for the 72 if you want awesome power.

The 56 would give good power especially if you ran high nitro but not what I would consider awesome.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:48 AM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; I have seen many 4 stars with Saito 45's, 50's and Surpass 48's and 52's I think they all work just fine. We fly at sea level here, so I think anything bigger would be more then what's needed, and would have to be balanced with extra weight, making the plane heavier then it needs to be. If those are your choices, I would go with the Saito 56, since it is the lightest of all your candidates.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:03 PM
Wonder

Well I put on a pot of coffee and packed a lunch and started searching old post on four-stars and Saitos. I found a post from last year on Saitos were the same ? was brought up and 7 out of 7 replies were for the 72.
I am leaning toward the 56 myself. I don't need unlimited vertical but I do want good to very good vertical and be able to hold a knife edge. The 46LA will knife if you point it up a little before you start then it drops out.
Weight wise according to Saitos book is 440g for the 56 and 470g for the 72. according to Tower Hobbies unit of measure conversion that would be 15.521 oz and 16.579 oz. Most b.b. 46 engines weigh in at 17 oz. so I don't think weight is a big issue, however my 46LA weighs 12.3.
Thanks for the replies and keep them coming, still undecided.
tw
Old 09-14-2006, 01:25 PM
meaden

I agree with donkey doctor. My OS52 is 15.2oz and I had to move the battery to the tail to get it to balance without adding weight.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:59 PM
foresterxt
My Feedback: (35)

I just finished putting together a 4* with a Magnum .52 four stroke. Definitely not a power monster, but it's still really fun. Sounds cool and flies really smooth. I crashed a 4* with an .46LA a bit ago due to a dead battery pack, and I think .52 pulls it around about the same. I had to push my battery and reciever as close to the servos as possible to avoid adding weight and it's still a tad nose heavy which makes this floater a tad easier to land. By the way, I fly her at pretty much full throttle the whole time other wise it's definitely too slow.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 09-14-2006, 10:11 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

I've got a Saito 45 on mine now. Lacks power and verticle compared to the ST51 it had before. But I am having a blast with it. I think the 72 or 82 would be perfect for a Something Extra, upcoming build for me. I think the 56 would be perfect for the 4*. Mine weighs 4.5 lbs dry. I can fly 15 minutes on half an 8 oz tank. I will be putting in a 4 oz tank. Ten minutes is good for me.

Whatever you decide on, it will be fun. MikeB
Old 09-15-2006, 06:30 PM
RACJ

Flyer at our field has Saito 82 on 4*40. He does not fly out of control;just nice gracefull aerobatics with engine sounding great at half throttle. I enjoy watching him go vertical at what seems slow and controlled and then let plane drop and recover on its own. I don't know how much weight need to balance but get the 72.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:13 PM
jrbmoto

I say go for the Saito 82...Like we always say "You can always throttle back" A Saito 82 is a great investment! Theyre lightweight and work well in pretty much any .40 size plane
Old 09-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Wonder

Well I think the 82 is out of the question it is $30.00 more and 1 oz. heavier. A 72 will pull a 7 1/2lb plane straight vertical. No matter what engine I use the 4* should come out less than 5lbs.. I think with the 72 I would still have to use good throttle management. I would just a soon spend the extra $$ on the gold knight, seeing how the 4* has an open engine compartment, it would be perfect to show it off.
tw
Old 09-19-2006, 01:32 PM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

I had a 4* with the Saito .56. Flew great! I added about 1" to the rudder and did great KE. Upright flat spins with full power and crossed aerilons were spectacular. It would almost float. Finally crashed it when I got goofed up with snow skis. I've also had two 4* 60 flying with OS .91 four strokes.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:59 AM
Wonder

I am planing to add 1" to the rudder and clip 1 wing bay off each side of the wing. I bought DuBro glass LG. This will give me 1 1/2" more prop clearance and will spring back on a bumpy landing, the wimpy stock LG on the one I have now mushes down and stays down.

I just finished up a Kyosho Super Stearman 40, 5 1/2 lbs. with an OS FS-52. I only have two flights on it so far and think this is a good plane engine combo. I know the Stearman is a little more heavy than the 4*, but I think I still want some more performance for my next one. I am now leaning toward the 72, better to have and not need than want and not have.

tw