Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

I'm after a nippy high winger that'll do some aerobatics

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

I'm after a nippy high winger that'll do some aerobatics

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 05:18 PM
Beige

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm after a nippy high winger that'll do some aerobatics

Right then lads,

I've got the slow speed stuff sorted with my limbo dancer, various park flyers for then i fancy something nice and docile, even a few gliders. But when it come to a bit of speed and sharp aerobatics my old trainer is all i have

I did have a ripmax gambler (kind of a poor mans patern ship) but that died from a melted switch, i enjoyed the way it flew, it was nice and sharp in the air and had a good turn of speed. and it was the loss of this plane some years ago that left me with this hole in my collection []

So, anyway, i'm after a fairly nippy, and sharp plane, capable of some sprightly performance, nice rolls etc. I'd like a high wing as, to me they look that bit nicer, but i'll go for a low winger if i must. Being able to take a .40 would be a bonus, but i'm always open to adding to my engine collection

I'm not after an extra 330 jobbie that'll flick roll if you look at the stick slightly sideways, just a nice fun plane to blat around with a bit, you know what i mean?

A clear set of windows or canopy would be nice too [:-]

Any ideas? i've been looking around for a while, and there seems to be a hole between high wing trainers, and low wing aerobats,i should also mention i'm rubbish at balsa bashing, i've turned out many an aeroplane that flys sideways so an artf would be ace
Old 06-19-2006, 06:01 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: I'm after a nippy high winger that'll do some aerobatics

A Decathlon/Citabria, or Taylorcraft come to mind. Ever seen a full scale one at an air show? They are quite capable.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Beige

i was hopeing someone would mention the Decathlon, as i've been looking at a couple, and they do look pretty good. Not found much in the way of video though , however, looking at the layout of the plane it does seem to fit the bill
Old 06-20-2006, 06:29 AM
fokker20planes

If you are looking for something on the plain side try an Ugly Stik. Most of them out there are ARF's or you can scratch one from RCM. Very simple design. Just a thought.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:30 AM
dmrcflyr2
My Feedback: (43)

I would recommend a SIG Rascal. High wing, great looks, 40 sized, ARF, excellent quality, areobatic yet very docile. I have had two and will never NOT have one.

Give it a look.

David
AMA 336517
Old 06-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Beige

thanks for the pointers, i've just ordered a black horse decathlon and an irvine .53

seems to fit in more or less every way, perfect, i know the black horse kits are nice as dad has one of their arrow 3d's and it really is very nicely put together. That, js3's post and finding a review with a video sold me... Can't wait [8D]
Old 06-24-2006, 04:20 AM
Dav0012

The best plane in my opinion for a throw around high wing is the Pheonix Classic Trainer, with a 46 ax, it will go from a standard trainer, to an almost unlimited 3d machine, yes a 3d trainer. these high wing beauties hover. torque roll, flat spin and will even hold a full length runway knife edge. we have a member at our club who will stand it on its tail feathers and take off verticle straight into a hover. and also excellent for throwing around with ya usual cuban eights, snap rolls etc.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Matthew Allen

You've made your choice I know, but since you're in the UK, shouldn't you consider the classic Wot 4? It's high wing, perfect for sport aerobatics and supposedly darned good.

My 'reliable' model is just a Trainer 30 from Ripmax (wrote a review in the Ratings section), and this is great for relaxing aerobatics. It has enough power to do nice loops and short vertical climbs and it's so easy to land.

Matthew
Old 06-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: fokker20planes

If you are looking for something on the plain side try an Ugly Stik. Most of them out there are ARF's or you can scratch one from RCM. Very simple design. Just a thought.
Amen..... Everyone needs at least one Stik........
Old 06-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Beige

ORIGINAL: Matthew Allen

You've made your choice I know, but since you're in the UK, shouldn't you consider the classic Wot 4? It's high wing, perfect for sport aerobatics and supposedly darned good.

My 'reliable' model is just a Trainer 30 from Ripmax (wrote a review in the Ratings section), and this is great for relaxing aerobatics. It has enough power to do nice loops and short vertical climbs and it's so easy to land.

Matthew
Funny you should say a wot4, my dad just bought one of them to build, so chances are i'll get at least a little stick time on that too

I'm very happy with the decathlon though, almost ready for flight now just need to move the CoG back another inch