Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Twist 40 and Pulse XT 40

Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Twist 40 and Pulse XT 40

Old 07-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Futaba Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twist 40 and Pulse XT 40

I'm looking at an advanced second airplane and had the Twist and the new Pulse XT recommended to me(both from Hanger 9). I asked someone who wrote a review about the Twist and he said that on low rates it could be a good second airplane. The Pulse is fairly new so if anybody has any feedback on what they think of that plane, I'd love to hear it. The guy training me said that I could step up to a more advanced airplane but I'm just not sure if they would be too advanced. I would really appreciate feedback on what people think of these airplanes as advanced second airplanes.
Thanks
Futaba Owner
Old 07-10-2006, 05:05 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Twist 40 and Pulse XT 40

I would say the Twist is a little too easily damaged to be a good second airplane. The Pulse was designed specifically as a second airplane and it can take some punishment.

Other great second airplanes are the Sig FourStar 40 ARF and the Goldberg Tiger 2 ARF. Pick the one that looks best to you.

Jim
Old 07-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Cohlby7

I've put in about 6 or 7 successful flights with my plug and play Twist 40. The airplane really surprised me with its slow, stable landing abilities. This was my second plane. First tail dragger and first low wing airplane. With no experience in either area, I have had no problems getting the twist into the air. It makes a great plane to putt around in, and I have already done some rolls and loops with no problems. I can't find too many bad things to say about the Twist. I agree with Jim, as I could see how it would be easily damaged, but I guess if you land hard enough, any plane can be easily damaged! Also, it was kind of tricky to balance the model. I was somewhat disappointed at the amount of weight I had to add to the nose to get it manageable. I guess I expected it to come out of the box, more well balanced/designed.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Wide Open

well, i won a pulse at one of our fun flies a while ago. i didnt have any problem with it as i have been flying for several years, but from a beginners standpoint it is also very good. i have several hours of flight time on it now without a problem and it has become my favorite airplane. it tracks well and is very stable yet it is capable of doing more aerobatic maneuvers than your trainer. overall its a very fun airplane.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:34 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own the Twist and it's a very easy plane to fly that can do some wild aerobatic stuff at the same time. I'd strongly recomend a computer radio with it. Yopu need the option to select between high and low rates plus there is a lot of roll coupling with the rudder that can be taken out with mixing in a little opposite aileron. I don't see why it wouldn't be a good second plane though for a good pilot. Others have mentioned that it is fragile, this is true and something to be careful of but it's also light. The Sig 4-star is great too.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:53 AM
dutchalltheway

Futaba Owner,

I too own a Twist..For me, it is a second plane as well, after my Nexstar.
I very much agree that the Twist is an awesome 2nd plane, but....on low rates!!On high rates, it is too tricky, because of the quick response of the plane!!
If you are concentrated on the sticks, you should be fine. I found it a pleasure to land, since the plane floats like you will not believe..It just goes and goes..Cut back on the throttle....set it in for landing....and let the plane does the work for yoube slow on the elevator and she will land just fine

You will be just fine with the Twist....tread her well, and she will give you a surplus of fun and challenge!
Just my .02
Old 08-06-2006, 11:45 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never flown the Pulse XT but I own a Twist. I suppose it could be a second plane if you kept the control throws low. Actually, on low rates with a large diameter, low pitched prop, the Twist is pretty tame. Increase the throws and it can do some wild stuff. I like that versatility.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:03 AM
astromanvargas

I also own the Twist. I was self taught on the P51 PTS and thought the Twist was actually easier to land. The thig just floats right in under idle. Like another member posted, the plane required about 2 oz. of weight in the nose to get the CG right. But once that was accomplished she is a dream to fly.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:17 AM
jhf72

I had a twist for a second plane i put my os65la on it from my trainer with a 13X6 prop. on low rates way easier to fly than my trainer, on high rates lots of fun if you don't get excited and bend those sticks over. unfortunatly i put it into the ground after working on it and making the rookie mistake of not doing a ground check.

i now have a pulse PNP what an awesome practice plane. I set the throws as far as they would go and on the second day had to bring it in with a snapped stab. i managed to save her and put some carbon fiber reinforcements on the stab to stabalize her.

I just bought the apc 12.5X3.75 to try on the evolution 46 but now the snow is hear and hadn't had a chance to try her out. Has anyone tried this prop on this plane. Special note this is the only evolution i have ever seen that performs like a champ, did they get the kinks worked out with thier carbs
Old 01-27-2007, 09:40 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

I've owned both the Twist and the Pulse. ( I just started to get some time in on the Pulse ) This is a hard question to answer and you'll probably get lots more votes for the Twist primarily because it's been around longer and costs less but it really comes down to how quickly you have advanced in flying. As an instructor I've seen people that come from both ends of the spectrum. Some are ready for some really advanced flying, some aren't. Not to drag this answer out but the Pulse is more forgiving and smoother flying. The Twist can be set up for some pretty wild stuff and in the hands of less experienced flyers can turn into tooth picks rather quickly. With the Twist being short coupled it can get pretty squirrley and get away from a flyer real fast. The Pulse is more of a sport style plane and tracks smoother. Not knowing your flying skills, all in all I would give the nod to the Pulse. But if you've advanced quicker than most people I would go with the Twist. Just be sure on either one of them to beef up the landing gear area with some extra glue and/or wood. That is a must on just about every ARF. One more thing to add, both of these planes a somewhat lightly built. The Pulse has plywood sides that have cutouts to keep it light so in general they won't stand up to lots of abuse. The Sig 4* 40 is a good second plane and stouter than the other two.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50831.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	607511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40766.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	607512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27720.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	607513  
Old 01-27-2007, 09:43 PM
prop planter

Go with BOTH I have both and love them both for what they are. The pulse tracks true, goes exactly were pointed, and will just about hover in an inverted flatspin. VERY COOL, it almost stops coming down and just spins it heart out.
The twist is awsome to throw around the sky. It will almost bite its own tail in tight loop[8D] The twist will land slower, but if your low rates aren't set up right, you may very well end up with a pile of tooth picks[:@][:@]
Old 01-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Doc Austin

Personally I can't recommend the Pulse highly enough. I liked mine so much I bought another one to convert to electric.

For those of you who may have missed the previous posting of these, here's some Pulse footage. I think this will tell you more about the plane than I can:

http://largoflyingclub.com/video/austinpls.wmv

http://largoflyingclub.com/app06/pulse.wmv