Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Sure Flite Baby Biplane

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Sure Flite Baby Biplane

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Rob Schaffer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sure Flite Baby Biplane

Need some help guys,.. and hopefully this is the right place to put this.

A relative was cleaning up around the house and came across this kit,... never opened except to put the receipt in it from what it looks like. I opened all the plastic bags today and pulled the parts out for the first time. It was purchased in 1993, but it is a model of a 1930 Classic Biplane, produced in Foam by a company called Sure Flite. The instructions are minimal, and even a section at the end is hand-written by the Sure Flite owners, Jack & Bev Berg, stating that this was the first run of the plane and was a "prototype" for the instructions and any feedback would be appreciated.

Here's some info,...

2-4 Channel, with a wingspan of 36 inches, 27.25 inches long.
engine is a .10-.25
Flying weight of 24-40 oz
Semi-Symmetrical Air Foil

If any of you know were I can get info on how this plane flew, maybe some things to do to the kit, or even some covering/paint schemes of a 1930's biplane like this, I would appreciate you sharing. I'm thinking it would be a great plane for a thin fiberglassing, as it has no spar's in the wing, just the foam itself.

Here's some photos of the box and parts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26732.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	493779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49115.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	493780  
Old 07-19-2006, 08:14 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Sure Flite Baby Biplane

That's not all the parts you have, right? there's supposed to be a plastic cowl and aluminum cabane parts. This plane is made from Sure Flite's Howard 'Pete' with the upper wing added. I also had one of these, but never built it...
Old 07-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Rob Schaffer

Yes, in the box was a plastic cowling, pushrods, aluminum landing gear. The wood that you see in the photo has two sheets, and that contains the wood cabane parts. Keep in mind, this was one of the first runs of this kit in 1993, so you may have an updated version.

So far, can't find much out about it's performance and what I should set it up with, even from Sure Flite,.. (they haven't responded yet). I'm going to build it, as it looks like it could be quite a fun plane. I'm going to have to get finished on my Top Flite Corsair first though.

Rob
Old 07-19-2006, 09:09 PM
AeroDave

Rob,
I built and flew many Sur Flight airplanes back in the '80s. The ones I had included a plywood engine mount which would slide into the foam. We found the nose of these planes wouldn't last long, even with gentle handling (no crashes or hard landings). So I would cut th efoam nose off and install a flat plywood firewall to which I would bolt a glass filled engine mount. This held up much better than stock. Back in those days we would treat the foam with something, I can't remember what, which sealed it and just made the planes look better after painting. For spars we just used strapping tape. Light and strong. I would think twice about glassing it as you could add considerable weight. Be sure to pin your hinges as they can pull out of the foam quite easily. That's about it. I would go for a .25 and try to keep everything light. Its a small plane and will not respond well to a high wing loading. With those things in mind, I think you'll be fine and have lots of fun with it.

Best of luck,

Dave