Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

GP Extra 300S vs. GP Cap 232 .40?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

GP Extra 300S vs. GP Cap 232 .40?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 06:16 AM
Limawer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Extra 300S vs. GP Cap 232 .40?

I am wondering which plane is the better of the two? Which peforms best with a .50 size two stroke engine? Which has better ground handling? Which has the larger aerobatic capablity? In other words what are the pros and cons of both?
Limawer
Old 08-22-2006, 03:42 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: GP Extra 300S vs. GP Cap 232 .40?

I have flown both and I am in love with the Cap. I had some problems with the rudder wood being to soft and it broke where the control horn mounts, but other than that, a picture perfect plane. Mine had an OS 70 Surpass on it and it scooted right along. As for aerobatics, I would put them at about the same. The Cap was just a smidge smoother looking while doing them. Good Luck, Dave
Old 08-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Limawer

Dave,
How much vertical does the Cap have?

Thanks,
Limawer
Old 08-22-2006, 05:53 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I have the GP CAP 232 .40, and there are a few things I don't like about it. First is the ABS plastic wheel pants. Get a fiberglass version, or skip them entirely. If you're going to fly it off grass, consider getting larger wheels than the 2 1/2 inch wheels in the kit. With the location of the landing gear, and the short tail moment, it has a bad tendency to want to nose over in the grass.

Reinforce the landing gear plate. The 1 inch x1/4 inch plate provided is not strong enough to handle any roughness in the landing. After I ripped the landing gear out of the fuselage on my second flight, I replaced it with a wider plate, and used some triangle stock to beef up the joints with the fuselage side formers. I then replaced the blind nuts by threading and tapping the plate for 1/4" nylon bolts. Worked much better.

I fly mine with a Thunder Tiger Pro 46 with a 12x4 prop, and have unlimited vertical.

Watch out for the tip stall. Some of these seem to come out better than others, but mine has a bad tendency to stall the left wing first. Its great if you're trying to enter a spin, but hell if you slow down too much for landing. Mine likes to land with speed.

Replace the kit provided threaded rod on the rudder with a graphite rod, or at least put a graphite sleeve on it. It will make it much stiffer, and improve knife edge performance. You also might want to replace the kit provided nylon control horns with something stiffer.

The CAP is a good aerobatic performer, but I think the Extra might be a little easier to handle.

I'm currently considering adding an Extra to my hangar.

Brad