Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Death spin

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Death spin

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:07 AM
onrecess
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death spin

My Joss Stick (which has weak ailerons) is VERY difficult to get out of a spin. Is that a cg problem or common for dihedral trainer/stick type planes?
Thanks
Old 09-10-2006, 11:22 AM
jlingrel

Default RE: Death spin

If you have problems getting out of a spin, try opposite rudder and if need be, a little down elevator. Most high wing types will pop out as soon as you release controls to neutral

John
Old 09-11-2006, 12:26 AM
N46203

Sharp down elevator and opposite rudder will get you out of it no problem. If not consider moving the cg just a little bit forward.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:02 AM
Dr1Driver

Then don't spin it. The next spin could be your last.

Check the CG and beef up the aileron control. Usually neutralizing the controls will stop the spin. If not, apply opposite rudder and aileron and down elevator to straighten the spin into a dive, then pull out.

Dr.1
Old 09-11-2006, 03:44 PM
APIA

I have never used ailerons to spin an airplane, rudder and elevator should do it, if not then the control throws need to be increased. I have an Avistar that just didn't spin right and after increasing the throw from 3/8 to 3/4" it spins just like a full size airplane. You didn't say if this was a power on or power off spin,,, makes a big difference.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:34 PM
onrecess

I think what did it was I power up while going down and tried to get a flat spin. When I tried to recover I used opposite aileron and down (I was already throttled up). I'll try the rudder next time. It has been a while since I have been flying anything but electric pusher jets, so I forgot more than I thought (obviously, using ail to get into and try to get out of spin). Ahh, it seemed so simple flying this tame thing ands it turns out I was the problem. Ooops.
Thanks!
Old 09-11-2006, 09:48 PM
lalaland

To get my planes in a spin I pull both sticks to the lower left hand corners. To pull out I let the left stick go to neutral and give it up elevator and right with the right stick. I like to pull out right before it would smash into the ground if I let it go for one more spin! Closest has been 2 feet from the ground as it leveled out. A real crowd pleaser and makes others just shake their heads....lol

I like doing it with my goldberg cub and my new astro hog.

fun fun fun

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58578.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	522727  
Old 09-13-2006, 09:44 PM
onrecess

That sounds good, bigdanusa. I'll try that, it is easy to remember. I used to flat spin my fun tiger until it was right off the ground, too. Last time I did it I discovered it was on low rates... which is why it was the last time. It was about a 1/2 foot short of room for pulling out and pancaked into a nice compact shape much easier to fit in the car...
Everyone was VERY impressed. Funny thing is, I've killed profiles before and swore off low rates for that very reason. Then you don't fly for a year or so and forget why you didn't use dual rates. After the dust settles it comes back to you!
Old 09-22-2006, 09:06 PM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: bigdanusa

To get my planes in a spin I pull both sticks to the lower left hand corners. To pull out I let the left stick go to neutral and give it up elevator and right with the right stick. I like to pull out right before it would smash into the ground if I let it go for one more spin! Closest has been 2 feet from the ground as it leveled out. A real crowd pleaser and makes others just shake their heads....lol

I like doing it with my goldberg cub and my new astro hog.

fun fun fun
Just a friendly word of caution in case you haven't already heard this... Some aircraft types (especially aerobatic) won't exit a spin if you hold up elevator! Make sure you go to full neutral controls and and gain some forward momentum before getting on the elevator. Obviously it's best to try any spin maneuver up high first - especially with a newer plane.

Fun flys and sport planes are generally pretty forgiving in this respect but the aerobatic types are designed to stall which makes them more likely to stay in a stalled attitude until "pushed" in the right direction by neutralizing the controls and in some cases opposite rudder.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:28 PM
onrecess

Ahhh! I flew yesterday and spun several times. Using a little opposite rudder and no ailerons it pulled out almost instantly (okay, the rotation stopped and I could drop the nose and fly out).
Thanks!
Old 09-24-2006, 07:27 PM
LarryC

Some planes, including full size, will not recover at all if you use opposite aileron. The lowered aileron on the inboard side of the spin adds drag, and makes it impossible for the rotation to stop. In the early days of flying, pilots didn't understand fully what was happening in a spin, and many were killed before good recovery techniques were establisned.

Larry
Old 09-30-2006, 08:37 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

I was having the same issue with my Avistar.. rubber elevator alone couldn't make it spin..

So today I gave it max throws and moved the CG back a bit.. Now it's a great spinner.

Like the others spin recovery is easy.. sticks to neutral.. throtte up when it recovers and pull out..

I had a coulple mear misses with the ground seeing how far I could spin today..
Old 11-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Herb Calvin

LaLaland, come out to Fayette and try your spin. We're at a higher elevation than Toledo. We're only about 40 mi. west on Central Ave, but we're quite higher. I hope you continue to pull out at 2ft.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:39 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

LarryC is absolutely correct in his description. Lowering throttle to idle and adding opposite rudder to break the spin is all thats necessary. I see from your posts that you figured that out on your own. When I learned to fly the real stuff over thirty years ago that was mandatory training and I hated it......but I still practice it to this day.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:25 PM
JPMacG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The usual full scale spin entrance is to throttle back close to idle, raise the nose slightly and keep it up until the stall, then, just as the stall starts to break, kick in full rudder. The ailerons are neutral. The full-scale recovery is opposite rudder and down elevator.

I have flown a number of trainers (I insturct sometimes) and none I have tried will spin this way. You can get something that looks like a spin by using aileron but I think it is more of a diving spiral. My GP Ultimate Bipe 40 will do a good legitimate spin, and with it I just neutralize the sticks and it comes right out.