Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a new plane!

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Deciding on a new plane!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:28 AM
MadMonkey
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding on a new plane!

Help me out here guys!

I've just gotten back into flying after a 6 year hiatus. I'm currently flying a Sig our-Star 40... I love the plane but I want something else to fly. I love the handling and capabilities of it and I want something similar but I've been out so long I don't know what's good and what's not!

Here's what I want:

Fully aerobatic. 3D capable is a plus but not a must.

Fast, not crazy, but pretty quick.

Slows down pretty well for landing.

DOES NOT want to tip stall CONSTANTLY.

.40 or .60 size preferably.

Now the FourStar is capable of flat spins, Lomcevaks, and almost everything I can throw at it so I want at least the same aerobatic capabilities.

The planes I've been considering are the Phoenix Strega, Decathlon, and Sukhoi, the GP UCANDO (probably too slow though), and a few other random sport planes. Anybody have some input? I'm a pretty decent pilot I think, so I can can fly almost anything I want, probably.

Thanks for any help!
Old 09-21-2006, 05:05 AM
parrthd

Default RE: Deciding on a new plane!

after my 4*60 i moved to a tower hobbies uproar .40 it was a blast to fly and will tolerate most any throws you want to program into it. i ran min at 120% and the roll rate was incredible. i think this would be a good choice for a good "throw around" plane. also my extra 300s is a blast to fly. however, scale planes (to me ) don't fly like the typical sport planes so you need to be on your toes and surface throws come into play a lot more, give 'em too much elevator and they'll snap on you in a second.

just two more for consideration.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:32 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the Sig Somthin Extra. I've owned the ARF version and now I just finished a kit. This plane is stable, extremely aerobatic and lands nice. It's no quickie or anything but mine is still pretty fast with a Super Tigre .45. To me, this is an excellent all-around airplane.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Test005

I agree, I have three of them (SSE's) )
Flies great with a .50 engine and 12X4 prop.... Pretty much a bit-of-everything airplane.
As for landing and tip stalls, the SSE will hover to a land in some head wind. It's got a big wing and is light enough to just drop back to the runway at a crawl after you've wringed the snot out of it

Engine rec. would be:
Webra 50gt - 55gt
Irvine 53
OS 50sx
...Or a fourstroke in the .70 class.

Go ahead and build the kit, it's a fast build and you can modify it if you want. (Two of mine I built from kit and the third I bought second hand)
Old 09-21-2006, 09:11 PM
super tigre

I agree go with the SSE
Old 09-21-2006, 09:12 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the kit is actually a better airplane than the ARF. Provided you build it well of course. My kit version turned out lighter than the ARF and I don't have to worry about bad glue joints and stuff. Not that I didn't like my ARF but the firewall came loose as did a few other parts. My kit version has a lot better covering job than the ARF too. I think if you build the SE exactly as shown on the plans , with no modifications, and you really want to bad enough, you could have it framed up in a weekend then get it covered the next.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Well the problem you'll have is finding a Aerobatic/3D airplane that is also fast... These are opposites unless you fly a pattern ship. The SSE is the same speed as the 4* -

The Ucando-46 is a nice airplane (not fast though)
Funtana-40 is VERY aerobatic (slow again)
Old 09-22-2006, 01:37 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cap 232, no wait, you said you didn't want it to snap all the time. Well that's what make is so much fun.
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2006, 04:11 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funtana or twist! Both in that size range.

Gibbs