Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

How does a low wing plane fly with no dihedral?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

How does a low wing plane fly with no dihedral?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 09:43 AM
lflf
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How does a low wing plane fly with no dihedral?

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has experience with a low wing plane with no dihedral. I have a wing with no dihedral I've considered incorporating into such a design, so if anyone has tried this I'd like to know how it flies. Thanks
Old 11-11-2006, 10:31 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: How does a low wing plane fly with no dihedral?

The dihedral only helps the plane right it's self. You know it tries to keep the wing level. So a wing with no dihedral will stay where you put it. It may have to land a little faster other than that you wont know the difference in the air.

David
Old 11-11-2006, 04:17 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

most low wing planes have diheidral. so do the extra 300's and such it is used to counter the opposite roll when rudder is applied. If you look closely at a lot of aerobatic planes such as pattern planes imac planes etc. the top of the wing will be straight across leading some to believe that there is no deheidral when in effect the wing ribs are tapered so when you look at the wing from the bottom you will see the diheidral.

Dennis
Old 11-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes. My Contender 60 has no dihedral. Just straight spars right across the wing. Flies great. Most (maybe all?) pattern planes have no dihedral (or appear that way according to the above post). Sweeping the wing back also has the effect of dihedral. It makes the plane easier to fly if you want one that is neutral and only goes where YOU point it. But it does mean that YOU have to be in control at all times and it will not be semi-self correcting for roll in level flight.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:13 AM
lflf

OK, I'm convinced, I want to try it. Always thought having to build dihedral into a wing was a pain, but I want another low wing-so it should work fine. Also I have a wing that will do it.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Herb Calvin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While on the subject of low wing no dihedral, lets assume it is a tail dragger. When taking off do you have to use any down elavator. I have never flown a taile dragger. Thankyou Herb Calvin
Old 11-19-2006, 08:57 PM
lflf

Calvin, I am referring to taildragger, thats all I fly. No, you can't use down elevator on a taildragger on take off, it will make it pitch forward on its nose. Its best if the plane is trimmed neutral or a slight touch of up. My takeoff techniqe is to gun the engine and get the plane moving as fast as possible down the runway, then a touch of up will do it, sometimes it doesn't even need that. There are some schools of thought that you accelerate slowly as you go down the runway like a full scale tail dragger, I find this always results in a ground loop.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Campy

The accelerate slowly (a 5 count from idle to full throttle ) will provide more control over the plane. The key to this (or any take offs), especially with a tail dragger, is to watch the plane. As soon as the tail lifts off the ground feed in A LITTLE right rudder to compensate for the prop torque. The amount of right rudder you need to feed in will vary from plane to plane. Taking off like this will avoid ground loops.

Tri gear planes aren't as bad with the effects of prop torque because the nose wheel helps to hold the plane in a straight line.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Herb Calvin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I'll try it next time I fly. Very helpful. Thanks again. Herb Calvin
Old 11-20-2006, 01:12 PM
lflf

Calvin, I think I'll start a thread, what is your technique for taking off a taildragger plane. Check that out as I think you'll get lots of advice.