Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

First time off Snow!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

First time off Snow!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:10 PM
superman65355

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time off Snow!!!

I'm sure everyone has heard of the terrible weather, we here in the midwest have had, among other places. We ended up with first 4" of ICE then 6" of snow! after 13 days of being home bound with my kids (no school) i had plenty of time to go crazy from sitting around!So I ordered a set of Dubro Snowbird Skis and though why not at least try it! It was a blast, now I have not flown a trainer in a while but flying off the snow I no matter what plane you fly would be fun, besides flying is flying right! Beggers can't be choosers
Here is a picture or two my wife took for me.

35 deg. Sunny 5mph wind
Old 01-25-2007, 09:41 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: First time off Snow!!!

Hey, when life serves up lemons you make lemonade!!!

Good job on making the best of a the situation!!!! Long snow bound winters like that are what building kits were made for!!!!

Ken
Old 01-25-2007, 09:46 PM
johnboyrc

Looks like you have the tips of your skis a little more high than needed. A little angle is all that is needed, especially with tricycle gear. Shouldn't have trouble staying on top of the snow. How much clearance does your nose ski have to the prop? Looks close in the pic, but that can be deceiving.
When the snow gets crusty, slowing down takes longer, but that's fun!
Fun -run around on the ground without the wing, just don't turn too fast at high speed.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:07 PM
superman65355

The nose ski was close but it cleared, I should have ground a flat spot on the gear wire to hold them in place they kept wanting to creep up on me but hind sight is 20/20! But it worked for a couple hours of flying, and ended up a great experience
Old 01-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Flying on skis and seeing/tracking deer are the only two uses I have for snow anymore. We've only recently got barely enough to fly off - though I haven't been out on it yet this year. Never had so little snow here since I can remember. Not sure if I should be happy or sad.

It certainly expands the season and opens up all kinds of airstrips. I've been eyeing a neighbor's large field (we just moved here in June from a short distance away).

Enjoy!
Old 01-26-2007, 10:37 PM
johnboyrc

The lakes freeze over pretty well, and it's a great place to fly when the snow isn't tracked up from atv's or snowmobiles. A good size lake will let you take off and land in any direction, so it doesn't matter which direction the wind is in, and the air usually isn't too turbulent either. Flying in 20 mph wind is possible, and quite fun with the right plane.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:58 AM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

We fly all year long,If I could only get the skies to retract.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24372.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	612660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62489.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	612661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20119.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	612662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99767.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	612663  
Old 02-05-2007, 04:05 PM
JustErik

Those jet pics are cool as h-e-double toothpicks! I don't think I've ever seen that done before. Thanks for the pics.

Erik