Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Music while your flying

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Music while your flying

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 10:26 PM
jrbmoto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Music while your flying

I love to crank up the tunes when I fly! Snap rolls look cooler with Van Halen in the background!
Old 12-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Music while your flying

I do Tyrolean "Oom Pah" music (base drum and trumpet) with my mouth like the German officer (Gert Frobe) from "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines".

Or Pink Floyd's "Learning to Fly" on occasion. (Followed by "Dogs of War" when I get on someone's 6:00).
Old 12-16-2006, 01:44 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The sound of the engine is my music. Anything else is just noise..............
Old 12-16-2006, 09:03 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess if you're at the field and flying alone, most anything goes........I assume you've got your headphones on with your iPod at max and Eddie Van H screaming in your ears. If you've got other flyers out there, and you're in "the zone", two questions:

1- How do you listen to your engine note to detect a rough run, or worse, a deadstick at low altitude when you have little warning to save your plane?

2-How do you hear a fellow flyer calling his intentions to take off, land, or his screams to "DUCK!!!!!!" if he loses control?

I have two words here--------SITUATIONAL AWARENESS. Pay attention to the flying (yours and the others at the field), and crank up the tunes after you land. Sounds like you fly like most Americans drive: cup of Coke in one hand, Double Whopper in the other, cellphone wedged between shoulder and ear, steering with your knee, radio loud enough you don't hear the wailing siren behind you as you navigate rush hour at 60 mph.

Even played over a loudspeaker, where extraneous sounds aren't entirely masked, things happen. At a fly-in this summer, the tunes were loud enough over the P.A. that two pilots at opposite ends of the flight line were unable to hear each other call out, (one was taking off, the other was landing). Their airplanes met at midfield on the runway, luckily for both it was a wing scrape against a tail, no major mess. The C.D. immediately canned the music for the remainder of the event.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Giorch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jrbmoto

I love to crank up the tunes when I fly! Snap rolls look cooler with Van Halen in the background!
YEYEAH!! Van Halen kicks ***** !!!

PANAMA!!

Old 12-16-2006, 05:13 PM
jrbmoto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should explain... I fly at a small club field where if you get there after 1:00 pm, there may only be 4 or 5 guys there. With so few planes, we usually take turns flying and seldom have more than one or two planes in the air at a time. This is when I like to turn up the stereo in my truck just loud enough inspire some dance moves but not so loud that I can't hear my engine or another pilot as has been suggested!!....Just something to add to my "sport flying" experiance! I just thought it might be interesting to hear if anybody else out there does the same thing.

-Johnny-
Old 12-16-2006, 07:44 PM
TCrafty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do on occasion. I've got my iPod in my truck turned up just loud enough that I can hear it in the pits but not at the flight line. Usually I'm the one that opens up the field so typically no one is around. If more guys show up, I turn it off. Their view of "music" might not be mine. Funny though, with the early-morning jocks around here, I find myself leaning on my iPod more and more to help keep my intelligence from being sucked away. IMHO.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:45 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: jrbmoto

I should explain... I fly at a small club field where if you get there after 1:00 pm, there may only be 4 or 5 guys there. With so few planes, we usually take turns flying and seldom have more than one or two planes in the air at a time. This is when I like to turn up the stereo in my truck just loud enough inspire some dance moves but not so loud that I can't hear my engine or another pilot as has been suggested!!....Just something to add to my "sport flying" experiance! I just thought it might be interesting to hear if anybody else out there does the same thing.

-Johnny-
I don't mean to sound like the Music Police. A bit of music is okay as far as I'm concerned, as long as it doesn't mask what's going on around you or be so distracting that it's taking your mind off what's important, like staying out of the weeds. We have a CD of "Round Engine Sounds" that we play at lulls in the flying at our fly-ins. I personally like the album by Alan Parsons project called "On Air", a tribute to one of the bandmember's brother who was killed during the first Gulf War in a friendly fire incident. All the songs are related to flying, and the jet flying from one speaker to the other will make you duck.