Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

3D or not 3D that is the question?

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

3D or not 3D that is the question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 02:17 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3D or not 3D that is the question?

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: rclement

I think that most people can't do it well enough to do it so they don't like it.

But also too I've noticed that I fly much better than guys that have been flying for many more years than me and haven't taken an interest in 3D.

3D flying pushes me to expand my flying abilities and fly on the edge so consequently I've learned to fly quicker than a lot of the other guys at the field and I'm sure that some have them must be wondering how I've learned to fly so well so fast.
Ok, before you 3-D guys get too full of yourselves, let me tell you what *I* have noticed about 3-D fliers...

Sure, you can hover and harrier and blender and the like, but can you do a loop? I don't mean flop the plane nose over tail, I mean a nice ROUND loop - no slowing down going up and no speeding up coming down.

Now, can you do 3 consecutive loops one right on top of the last?

I have noticed that many 3-D fliers can flip-flop their planes all over the place and "Wow" the crowds, but they have never mastered the basic art of FLYING a plane
Who's getting full of themselves? Yes I can do a loop and much more. The point of my response is that often times people try to make 3D flyers sound like outlaws or something. It's just a different type of flying, that's all and unless I'm messing up someone else's airspace what difference does it make? I've flown with "Kyle" and seen his amazing flying and wouldn't critisize him for his style just because it's 3D. Geeeezzzz.....
Old 02-14-2007, 02:40 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All I am saying is that everyone is different. Maybe you ARE very good, but I have known people who have flown for 20 years and still need a buddy box.

What I am saying is that everyone is different. Some people pick it up faster because their brains work that way. The same guy who can fly his first time out could maybe never play a musical instrument if he practiced every day of his life.

But MOST of the 3-D fliers I've seen are not disciplined fliers.

It's sort of like the difference between Ballet and Break-dancing. True, some people can do both, but if you're a break dancer, you can't call yourself a better dancer than Baryshnikov because he can't break-dance
Old 02-14-2007, 03:41 PM
i live for 3D
Banned

I think IMAC and presicion flying is great! but I enjoy "flip floping" my plane more. The only reason why alot of people are bashing 3D here is because this is the sport flying forum. the real 3Drs dont even come here. i dont even know why i am here!
Old 02-14-2007, 03:43 PM
i live for 3D
Banned

just so you know i have mastered the art of doing "perfectly round loops" i have actulally gotten bored of that and moved on to 3D
Old 02-14-2007, 04:06 PM
rclement

All I am saying is that everyone is different. Maybe you ARE very good, but I have known people who have flown for 20 years and still need a buddy box.

What I am saying is that everyone is different. Some people pick it up faster because their brains work that way. The same guy who can fly his first time out could maybe never play a musical instrument if he practiced every day of his life.

But MOST of the 3-D fliers I've seen are not disciplined fliers.

It's sort of like the difference between Ballet and Break-dancing. True, some people can do both, but if you're a break dancer, you can't call yourself a better dancer than Baryshnikov because he can't break-dance
I agree 100% [8D]
Old 02-14-2007, 04:11 PM
rclement

ORIGINAL: i live for 3D

just so you know i have mastered the art of doing "perfectly round loops" i have actulally gotten bored of that and moved on to 3D
I would get bored too easily with doing loops and that type of thing also. There is a guy at our field that is very good at Pattern flying and does some amazing loops, rolls, and snaps. It's like a ballet or precision figure skating to watch him fly. I haven't yet developed that type of patience to train for that though. It is cool to watch though.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:38 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: rclement

I think that most people can't do it well enough to do it so they don't like it.

But also too I've noticed that I fly much better than guys that have been flying for many more years than me and haven't taken an interest in 3D.

3D flying pushes me to expand my flying abilities and fly on the edge so consequently I've learned to fly quicker than a lot of the other guys at the field and I'm sure that some have them must be wondering how I've learned to fly so well so fast.
Ok, before you 3-D guys get too full of yourselves, let me tell you what *I* have noticed about 3-D fliers...

Sure, you can hover and harrier and blender and the like, but can you do a loop? I don't mean flop the plane nose over tail, I mean a nice ROUND loop - no slowing down going up and no speeding up coming down.

I have noticed that many 3-D fliers can flip-flop their planes all over the place and "Wow" the crowds, but they have never mastered the basic art of FLYING a plane
I know that this may stir things up a bit, but I think it's very applicable to this discussion. A couple of years my wife gave me two books on Aerobatic flight training from [link=http://www.rcflightschool.com]1st U.S. R/C Flight School[/link] . I've read these books through more times that I can count any more, and I have taken so much information away from them. They are incredible books that will teach and improve your flying by a HUGE factor. Anyway, in the introduction of the "Advanced Aerobatics Flight Training" book there have a paragraph that applies here to this discussion.
The appeal of 3D is that spectacular stunts are possible without necessarily requiring that a person improve his piloting technique, or address his bad habits, nor is it the type of flying that exposes his attempts to a clear-cut good or bad critique. However, some 3D stunts are so difficult, take for example the Torque Roll--that those who've chosen to make it their signature maneuver usually dedicate a summer or more to almost exclusively learning that one maneuver."
I find this very true. Yes, some pilots of 3D can do wonders with a plane and they are truly outstanding pilots. But the majority that have seen who fly 3D do these "spectacular" stunts but can barely take care of the basics such as a round loop, and axial roll, or even a smooth landing. Many 3D pilots will say that they have done the the basics like a loop and a roll and are "bored" with them. But from what I have seen 99 out of 100 of those that are bored can not do a good loop or roll. The loop for instance, it's not just pulling up and around. A properly done loop will be completely round and the plane will exit the loop at the exact same point in space that it entered the loop. I used to think I was doing a good loop until I flew with smoke on the plane, and I got a huge slice of humble pie because it showed me that I needed to do more work on it.

I'm not knocking 3D pilots at all, because I do believe that to each his own. But rather I am just making commentary for the conversation here. It's my opinion that 3D pilots go that route because with just a few stunts they can "look" like they are doing something spectacular. And to some it may seem spectacular. But to me I am more impressed with precision aerobatics.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Ken
Old 02-17-2007, 12:29 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey , RhyanO

If you think flying 4D bothers you......

Once I actually flew 5D !!! My plane dissapeared ..I didn't know what happened to it until I saw an old book with a picture of a flying object that had hit Ben Franklin in the head as a child ! ha ha ha
Old 02-18-2007, 12:30 AM
kwboost

That was hilarious
Old 02-19-2007, 01:42 AM
Love2FlyMN

I want them both..it's cool seeing a hover by an airplane cuz it's not something a normal person sees everyday... The scale factor is still there and nobody's saying you have to start flying 3D so just go on and have your fun
Old 02-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Love2FlyMN

eh?
Old 02-23-2007, 11:01 AM
flygilmore

Kind of like the fox and the grapes. Many people are only capable of flying circles with a few aileron rolls, loops or spins haphazardly thrown in and therefore have to justify there boring routines. I like all types of flight-I fly 3D, precision, gliders, free flight and control line and enjoy the differences in each.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:48 PM
RhyanO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Hey , RhyanO

If you think flying 4D bothers you......

Once I actually flew 5D !!! My plane dissapeared ..I didn't know what happened to it until I saw an old book with a picture of a flying object that had hit Ben Franklin in the head as a child ! ha ha ha"

That was pretty funny.

I was just pointing out a technical flaw in using the term "3D" to describe a type of flying.
It is widely used even though the term is used incorrectly..... I was just trying to point that out.

We need to find a more accurate way of describing 3D flying.
Anyone have any ideas?

Ryan

Old 02-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Love2FlyMN

Stall flying?
Old 02-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Fisher7878

hi everyone, i just joined the site, looks like a great site...sorry for my stupidity, but i havent flown in 10 years, and i'm getting back into it, but what is the 3D planes you're referring to? are they electric?

Back when i used to fly, i had a bluemax 40, with a Saito 65, and i could get it to hang up(hover) for alittle bit, but not like what you'll are talking about....I also had a Funhawk, it was pretty aerobatic also.....

Sorry about the questions, its just changed so much i can't believe it....thanks

Old 02-26-2007, 10:10 AM
GrantK
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some 3D planes are electric but most are glow or gas. esspesaily the big 1/4, 1/3 aircraft you see in compititions. Electric planes can now match the preformance of gas engines (even on the big guys) but all invenatly more expensive. I'll be sticking with glow for some time to come and if you value simplicity and reliablity you will too.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I like 3D but I like the graceful pattern stuff too. I probably prefer the latter. 3 nice big loops, same speed on up and down lines, staying completely symetrical and no drifting to or away.... thats a pretty tall order. I can come close if the wind isnt too bad.

The torque rolling really doesnt do it for me, but some of the other 3D manuevers are great for learning rudder and such. Making circuits inverted at high alpha 10 feet of the ground with your prize plane while a 4 stroke makes that put-put sound right over idle... thats a blast.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:45 PM
hobbydude214
My Feedback: (13)

i think there are some people who fly 3d like the kid you used to play video games with and he would just be pressing all the buttons at once and would somehow always win, and then you're sitting there trying to do it properly and think out each move. thats the way many 3ders are these days, for me i started out pattern when there was none of this foamy electric or much of any 3d flying at all. but when it came along i saw that i could do these manuvers but it took me longer than some people who had started flying when all this 3d stuff was already out. and the nuber one thing i notice is that when im performing a 3d manuver i have thought out the mechanics and practiced it so i kno what im doing at every axis of my manuver, where as some are just floppin the sticks around and doing something 3d. so i think of myself as more of a precision 3d pilot.

and as for the name 3D i think its like a label, you might be thinking into it to hard.