Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

100+ mph sport plane??

Old 03-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Kevin1963

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 100+ mph sport plane??

I'm a weekend flyer looking to cure a need for speed. Just a sport plane, but one that will rip when you put the hammer down. A new ARF of some kind would be perfect.

A fun flying speed machine! Is there such a thing? Could any of these work?

Greatplanes Supersportster
Hanger 9 Aressti
Greatplanes Ultra Sport Plus
Sig Something extra

I don't know what to get ... I'm flying a Four Star 60 now. I like it! Just lookin for a speed demon to play around with.

What do you have? What do you think would cure my speed sickness??
Old 03-16-2007, 08:10 PM
sowega flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 100+ mph sport plane??

I had a Super Sportster with a GMS .47 on it- it was pretty fast. However, this plane would smoke it with the same engine on it;

http://www.americanpioneerhobbies.co...r_dragger.html

If you were going to try to get more speed out of it by bigger engine and prop- go with a SS- they are much more stout, IMHO.

I don't know about the others that you mentioned
Jason
Old 03-16-2007, 08:55 PM
skull1971

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Try a Seagull, Harmon Rocket. Guy at the field and one with a OS 50 in it and it ripped right along.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:19 PM
RVman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is mine, a GP RV-4, webra 50 and tuned exhaust. The RV-4 is a kit though. A harmon rocket and a good 50 2s would probably work good too. The something extra won't be very fast, they are more a funfly plane with a thick wing etc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34855.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	643578  
Old 03-17-2007, 12:29 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It depends what your definition of a sport plane is. You should go to the Extreme Speed forum for some good advice regarding this. If all you want to do is crack 100 MPH, that's pretty easy to do with not too much money and effort. Getting to 150 MPH will cost you a little more money and effort. Anything above that costs quite a bit more than most people want to spend.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:52 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

100 is not hard to do...but I would eliminate the Something Extra from the list, mainly because it has a thick wing and the large control surfaces and high speed just don't (generally) go together.

There's a guy in our club with a Jett .50 powered Sportster...it hits just about 100...(it would go faster if he didn't have huge wheels on it and put more prop on it but that's another story)
I have a Cermark Bobcat (predecessor to the Graduate they have now) with a modified Evo .46NT that will hit 100 on a good day...

Pick something with a relatively thin (for a sport plane) wing, and a small in cross section fuselage and put a Webra .50 or .55 in it and 100+ will be easy.

The World Models P-51 (as an example) with a Webra .50 will get you there...[8D]

If you believe radar guns, my "cleaned up" WM Dago Red (which is basically the same as the military version of the P-51) with a slightly modified Webra .50 w/ Ultra Thrust will top 125.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Thumprding

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sig Kougar with a hot 45/46 to 50. I have seen these with tuned pipe systems and retracts with hot enignes burning 25% nitro run in the mid 150 MPH ranges.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Kevin1963

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think, after looking around, I'm going to get a world models T-34 and use my OS46 ax and start getting a taste of speed. I hear that plane will burn up the sky a bit. 85+ mph??? Are these stories I read true??

Then, we'll see whwere it goes from there!

Old 04-02-2007, 06:55 PM
skull1971

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

look at a Lanier Shrike, ARF, has landing gear and they're real fast.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:23 PM
ChuckW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kevin1963

I think, after looking around, I'm going to get a world models T-34 and use my OS46 ax and start getting a taste of speed. I hear that plane will burn up the sky a bit. 85+ mph??? Are these stories I read true??

Then, we'll see whwere it goes from there!

I'm not sure exactly what the speed is but I've seen these with .46 AX's and they can definitely be fast.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:38 PM
nanu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great Planes Viper of Lanier Predator with 40 to 46 size will do over 100 mph.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:37 PM
rjbranchii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Lanier Shrike 40 either kit or arf is very fast even with a stock .46 and mild props. Its faster if you convert it to fuse gear with pants. Just use an al. gear mounted to a fuse plate about the wing leading edge and put on a steerable tailwheel. It flies very precisely, quite suprising for as wild as it looks. If you do it as a tail dragger as I did be sure to have dual rates and take off on high rate elevator. With no rudder controls if the tail comes up before the two rudders have authority it can get extremely exciting. But the sound of it screaming overhead ... well, its really the sound of the wheel pants, I just put on some from a 40 size aerobatic plane. Its getting narrow wheels and pants to match this year and the .46AX has been changed out for a Rossi .40 on a short pipe. Zoooom!

Bob
Old 04-03-2007, 07:42 PM
skull1971

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Be sure and tell us how the Rossi works on it, I was thinking of doing the same thing. I have a Rossi 40, 46, and a 60 to try out.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:55 PM
rjbranchii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am sure it will be considerably faster than the AX. I was turning a 9X10 apc on the AX. Motor didn't care for the rpm but the speeds were in the 150 ballpark. The panted gear make a huge gain in speed vs dragging three fat round (read rectangular) blocks with one burried in the prop wash. It is a rush though to see those speeds. I'm used to 110 in 60 size extras and edges with .90 2 strokes, and about 120 in a .90 piped pattern plane. But this is a whole different class. Funny thing though, no body else at the club goes up or stays up when its in the air. Why is that? I will have to enlarge the lead box I built at the back of the fuse compartment though to balance of the considerably heavier Rossi. I'd love to put retracts on it, but there really isn't anywhere to do it.

Bob
Old 04-04-2007, 12:44 PM
wildnloose

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Like you, I like to keep a sport plane in my stable (everyday plane). I have the Kougar, currently its the best sport plane I have. I estimate the speed to be about 110 with a Rossi 45, the wing is too thick to get any decent speed out of it. Its fairly aerobatic, it lands slow (can spot touch down in a 5ft circle with ease...no joke). Its kinda heavy but its a good flyer. The Shrike is a good flyer too. Once again its not too fast (est. 125 with a Magnum 52xls). It kinda heavy, a little aerobatic. The one drawback is the mushy elevator.

The new one I am considering is the H9 F-22 arf. They currently sell it as a PTS system but the arf is due this month. It comes in both red/white and grey. I think it will be the perfect flyer. Its pretty aerobatic (judging from the videos), it lands slow (flaps help a lot), the wing is not too thick (unlike the Kougar and the Shrike), it has flaps, its kinda heavy (est. to be 7lbs fully decked out), and its built rugged (built to train, thus the weight). The only question is how fast it can fly. Check out the review here on rcu...
Old 04-07-2007, 11:10 AM
dougtx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a SIG Kougar with a SuperTigre 75 (11X10 Prop). Very fast well over 100MPH, excelent handling, specially in high winds, I have flown this in winds gusting to 35/40 MPH.

Excelent all around sport plane, easy to build.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:15 PM
burnin1st

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Try the .46ax with an 11x6 engine will run better and you will get a happy medium between acceleration and speed. If you have a longer runway and want the keep the rpm down and the speed up turn an 11x7. you will be supprised and the differance in acceleration between these two props. Both PP and APC work great
Old 05-07-2007, 07:58 PM
jeffk464

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How about the Little Toni or Alley Cat with a strong 90 sized motor.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:00 PM
jeffk464

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_35...tm.htm#3560898

Alley Cat thread