Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Tiger 2 vs Sig Midstar 40

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Goldberg Tiger 2 vs Sig Midstar 40

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:44 AM
skromfols

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Tiger 2 vs Sig Midstar 40

I'm very much a beginner and have built two Goldberg kits, a Falcon 56 and a Falcon III, both purchased off E-Bay. The Falcon 56 seems to be an early version, probably from when Goldberg owned the company. It was very stright forward and there were no problems that even a beginner couldn't solve in the kit. The Falcon III had better instructions and I could see improvements that were made in the kit. The only complaint I have is that the shape of the wing saddle for the horizontal stab in the Falcon III had the incidence of the stab wrong. A beginner wouldn't know that until after the plane was built and didn't fly correctly (don't ask me how I know this). Otherwise I liked the kit very much and am considering the Tiger 2 or Tiger 60 as my next plane.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:54 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Minn Flyer:

Well, to each his own. Your experience has obviously been better than mine. I am curious though; how do you feel about the quality of the Lanier ARFs?

Jim
Old 05-29-2007, 12:33 PM
hungryandbroke

Tiger 2 w/os 46 ax = fast small plane that flys like its on rails, easy on fuel with somewhat oily mess.

Tiger 60 w/os 61 fx = flys like its on rails, slower rolls and manuvers due to its larger size, cuts through heavier winds better, sucks up fuel, lots of oil to clean up after each flight.

Tiger 60 w/os fs-91 ll surpass = Plenty of power, very little clean up, your Best Choice!

either arf = reglue or epoxy all places you are able to reach and change either one to a tail dragger so you don't look like a sissy at the field.....
Old 05-30-2007, 12:18 AM
HollywoodHitman

Tail dragger with or without retracts? Does the landing gear take much away from the performance of the aircraft with a .91 4 strok in it?

HH
Old 05-30-2007, 04:14 AM
hungryandbroke

I've yet to see a Tiger 60 ARF with retracts. If anything, the retracts would increase the CG by making it more tail heavy. The Tiger 60 comes out tail heavy as it is and by attaching an aluminum landing gear just forward of the wings into the fusalage I still had to add weight to the front end using the 91 surpass.

The OS 91 surpass will pull that plane around nice whether you had retracts or not. I'd save the retracts for a plane that calls for retracts.

One thing I like about the Tiger 60 with the 91 surpass is how well it tracks and cuts through heavier winds. Oh, and the sound it produces is awesome compared to a 2 stroke.

good luck

charlie
Old 05-30-2007, 09:12 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't mess with retracts. I use them often but I really advise newbies to avoid them. They can be a lot of trouble.

Once you've gotten to the point where you're almost "bored" with flying, that's the time to throw THAT wrench into the works.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:14 AM
skromfols

I just bought the forerunner to the Tiger off Ebay. I bought an 80's kit called the Sky Tiger. From what I've read it is what Goldberg first came up with and the Tiger series are updated versions. This one has a 63" wingspan and it for .40 - .60 engines. I have an OS .61 that I'll put on it, so it should have plenty of power. My experience is limited to high wing trainers (Goldberg Eagle 2 and Goldberg Falcon 56), but I should be able to fly this after have one of our experienced club members trim it for me.

I just bought the model so it should be here in a week or so and I'm really looking forward to building it. I built both of my Falcon 56's from kits, so I should have enough experience to handle this.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:17 AM
MinnFlyer

Yes, the Sky Tiger is the predicessor to the Tiger II

The Tiger II is the same plane, just re-engineered to build more easily
Old 05-30-2007, 11:07 AM
MinnFlyer

I stand corrected

I was recently given this information:

The Sky Tiger was designed by Carl Goldberg. It has a high lift, semi-symmetric airfoil, almost a flat bottom. It is bigger than a Tiger II and has smaller control surfaces. There are obvious differences in appearance if you see them side-by-side. The Tiger II was designed by Dave Patrick. It has a fully symmetrical airfoil, is smaller and much lighter.

Overall, the Sky Tiger is more stable, a better low wing trainer. The Tiger II is more aerobatic, a better aerobatic trainer. They are both among the best of their type.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:37 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wish it would knife-edege!
Old 05-30-2007, 03:54 PM
skromfols

Thanks for the info Mike. I'm really looking forward to getting the kit and building it. Although the new kits and ARF's are probably improvements, I prefer the older models, especially those designed by Goldberg.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:40 AM
HollywoodHitman

OK,

I will purchase the Tiger 60 ARF. Judging from what I have read sofar, I'll paraphrase what I understand I will need to do once I get the aircraft.....

- OS .91 Surpass II 4 Stroke - The way you guys are going on about this engine, I think I'd be foolish not to try and find out for myself!
- Additional servo for Flaperons (might be too much of a mod for me to do right away so I might wait)
- Reinforce as many of the joints as I can with either CA or Epoxy - (anyone have any suggestions as to which areas in specific?)
- Covering - Go over the covering with my iron to make sure it's well adhered and whatnot
- Retracts - I won't bother since you guys say it's one too many things for me to worry about at this level. I think I'll take Minn's advice and wait until I get into warbirds (My wife's gonna LOVE that...)

If you guys have anything to add to my list, please feel free! Thanks much for the thoughtful replies and advice.

Cheers,

HollywoodHitman
Old 05-31-2007, 11:28 AM
MinnFlyer

Flowers for your wife
Old 05-31-2007, 12:00 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skip the flaperons. This plane does not need them. It lands so purrrty. (And EASY!)
Old 05-31-2007, 02:01 PM
Sr-Telemaster

Go back to page 1 post 15 you will see where the weak spot is on the fus. I used triangle stock to beef up the joints there.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:37 AM
hungryandbroke

ORIGINAL: HollywoodHitman

- Reinforce as many of the joints as I can with either CA or Epoxy - (anyone have any suggestions as to which areas in specific?)

HollywoodHitman
Firewall area both sides, bottom of tank area, leading edge of wing area on fusalage, wing hold down bolt blocks, wing dowel attchment holes on fusalage, and also the servo trays in both wings. And any other area you can reach won't hurt to hit. After I attached my wing onto the fusalage I also epoxied a small dowel rod to the fuselage against the leading edge of the wing to keep the wing from flying off in case the wing dowel holes would break.

You'll love that 91 surpass; power, sound and especially when it comes to cleaning your plane after you're done flying for the day. Just don't run it too lean. They are made for power and thrust, not speed. The Tiger 60 is so easy to take off and land it's pathetic! I use standard size servos all the way around.

charlie
Old 06-02-2007, 12:35 AM
HollywoodHitman

Awesome!

Minn, flowers for my wife are high on the priority list! Probably going to order this thing pretty soon. Engine will have to wait until I buy some more radio equipment too.

Cheers,

HH
Old 06-23-2007, 08:33 AM
pnmrr

If it is not too late to throw an engine suggestion into the mix, I recommend the RCV CD-91. It is a little heavier than all the other engines mentioned but that works out to your advantage with the slightly tail heavy Tiger 60. It gets terrific fuel consumption and if you mount it sideways most of the mess misses the airframe. The RCV always gets allot of attention at the airfield with lots of questions. People are interested in it but are hesitant to buy one and try it out. That is a shame because it is a really nice little engine.

I have this combo and LOVE it; it is my go to airplane no matter the conditions. It is an airplane that make you look good no matter how bad you try to mess it up and is an amazing takeoff/landing practice airplane. You will like the Tiger no matter what engine you decide to use.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:12 PM
HollywoodHitman

Thanks for keeping this one alive guys.....My wife and I had our baby last week so things are a little busy for me to get to the field. Besides, it's been raining all month!
Old 06-30-2007, 05:39 AM
MinnFlyer

Congratulations!

See you in 18 years!
Old 06-30-2007, 08:02 AM
skromfols

18 years !! I don't think so. With any luck he and the child, boy or girl, will be out at the field within a few years, with his wife thankful to get them out from under feet.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:28 AM
HollywoodHitman

Thanks all! Not getting a wink of sleep, but I'm loving it. Setting up the radio in my trainer today, and hopefully will be ready to get it checked out at the field on the next sunny day and get a flight or 2 on it!